Cannondale supersix himod headset issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roy2018

by Roy2018

Hi, I have a new ss himod 2018 which rides superbly but suffers from headset wobble when braking. When stationary, holding front brake and moving back and forth, there is no movement.

Anyone else experience a similar issue? Any solutions?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

i'm no mechanic, but it maye help if you disclose: Rim brake or disc? I suspect rim. If so, check your front brake tightness and pads. Also potentially you're feeling a vibration from your Rim track on your wheels.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

Roy2018

by Roy2018

It's rim.

kgt

by kgt

Cannondale frames have poor manufacturing tolerances in general. This might be a reason.

Jugi

by Jugi

What does headset wobble mean? Vibration? Loose or vague feeling? Clicking or creaking sound?

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

I don't have hands on experience with this issue, but I did watch this video on the topic a few months ago. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW_iimqsTk

Hope it helps identify your problem. I hate the feeling of a wonky headset.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Subscribe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

It’s common, the plastic headset compression ring. It works loose, plenty of alloy versions available.
Best bet is to ask a local bike shop, chances are they have a spare. Take your plastic one in to get a size reference.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

kgt wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 am
Cannondale frames have poor manufacturing tolerances in general. This might be a reason.
except they're the same frame thats ridden in >1000 mile races by the worlds best riders on the harshest terrain putting down the most power in the world. In addition to over 100k regular consumers riding them without a problem, i think you have no basis for this statement.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

kgt

by kgt

Still, all of the above do not equal that tolerances of Cannondale frames are good. See hambini's bb test, it has been discussed many times, obviously you are not aware of it.

Roy2018

by Roy2018

tarmackev wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:50 pm
It’s common, the plastic headset compression ring. It works loose, plenty of alloy versions available.
Best bet is to ask a local bike shop, chances are they have a spare. Take your plastic one in to get a size reference.

I've re-tightened the headset so I'll see how it goes for the next few rides. If it persists I will give an alloy ring a go.

Roy2018

by Roy2018

ToughInTheStreets wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:23 pm
I don't have hands on experience with this issue, but I did watch this video on the topic a few months ago. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW_iimqsTk

Hope it helps identify your problem. I hate the feeling of a wonky headset.
Wow that is a concern. I hope that is an isolated issue.

Roy2018

by Roy2018

Jugi wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 pm
What does headset wobble mean? Vibration? Loose or vague feeling? Clicking or creaking sound?
There is no sound, just a movement of the steerer forward and back and therefore a feeling of instability when braking via the front brake.

MAJ

by MAJ

I have felt a similar situation with my new bike, not the first day, but yes the following days, after assembly of the bike by myself, with not very strong force on the screws of the whole bike components.

In my case the problem I think is a not propperly bolts screw tighten on the stem and on headset cap. I re-screwed these bolts and without slack problem until now.

However I will disassemble the whole set and I will look at what the video says, if the steering tube is perfectly cylindrical, but I want to think that is more difficult to make a non-cylindrical mechanized tube, than to make it cylindrical. At naked view the fork direction tube seems to be well mechanized, although I did not checked the dimensions with a caliper gauge.

But first of all, I should apply carbon assembly paste, a correct tightened of the headset cap, that is ultra ultra light, and is possible it dont do a proppely force on a single step. And then, the stem bolts with the help of the carbon assembly paste, as I already said.

In my case is the DISC version, hi-mod frame.

DOUG

by DOUG

I've seen that youtube rant before, seriously that guy needs to have a lie down. Of course this could be your issue but I think the main problem is the plastic compression ring as it just doesnt seem to stay tight. Sometimes it would last for months but eventually I would notice a tiny amount of movement. I also have the Hi-Mod disc frame and swapped it for an aluminimum compression ring and havent had to re-tighten my headset since.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com