Bryton 410 vs Garmin Edge 130?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flying

by flying

Anyone tried both?

I have run Garmin Edge 305 last 13 years :lol:

I do not care about navigation/strava/phone calls/power meters

All I really use is Heart Rate/Ride Timer/Speed/Distance/Total Dist ridden/ Elevation /Grade%

As such any basic GPS controlled unit is fine for me.
The Edge 305 did great all these years but battery is not holding long now & trying to change it
I see the rubber buttons are going to disintegrate.......SO

Pretty Much narrowed down to
Garmin Edge 130 $150

or

Bryton Rider 410 at $90

Garmin I know Bryton I dont
But reading manual Bryton looks good...if reliable
Price is great from Asian seller which is fine with me too

The Garmin is really $199 but has $50 off at Amazon if you take their no fee Credit Card which is no big deal I guess to grab

Anyway.........Anyone running the Bryton 410? Would like to hear your impressions

Garmin 130 of course looks strong but price + less screen

Garmin 1.8" diag screen
Bryton 2.3" diag screen

alanyu

by alanyu

Both record the data you want, so:
130 has a sharper but smaller screen.
410 has a much longer battery life. 130 is usually less than 10h if connected with sensors while 410 is at least 20h.
Garmin has a better software, website, app...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

alanyu wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:00 am
Both record the data you want, so:
130 has a sharper but smaller screen.
410 has a much longer battery life. 130 is usually less than 10h if connected with sensors while 410 is at least 20h.
Garmin has a better software, website, app...

Thanks & yes that is about what I am seeing
Since the Bryton will also fit my Garmin mounts &
at only half the price I am going to give the Bryton a try

:noidea: Hahah we will see

alanyu

by alanyu

flying wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Since the Bryton will also fit my Garmin mounts &
at only half the price I am going to give the Bryton a try

:noidea: Hahah we will see
Wait a moment. Bryton doesn't fit Garmin mounts, but it will include a basic mount in the package.

flying

by flying

alanyu wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:38 pm
Wait a moment. Bryton doesn't fit Garmin mounts, but it will include a basic mount in the package.
I have read they do fit Garmin mounts

Same with the 450 in this video
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/wr_lPDduzGM?t=78[/YouTube]

See in the list of Pro's
Untitled.jpg

flying

by flying

Just a note in case anyone is interested in this model Bryton Rider 410

So far I am very happy with it
They claim 35 hours battery capacity....So far I have used it for 7 rides average 2+ hours each & have not as yet charged it. Battery still shows quite full after 15+ hours usage

Some things I like.......Being able to choose GPS + which other GPS system to use
Choices are
GPS+ Beidou
GPS + Glonass
GPS+Gal+QZ

Or even Power save in open sky areas which saves battery or of course turn off GPS

Being in the South Pacific Ocean I am using GPS+ Beidou which has proved very accurate so far

With 72 functions it easily covers what I want in a Cyclometer with my HR foremost ( You can add Cadence & Speed but I only use HR)
5 Data Pages possible to scroll with what ever preset info fields you want (up to 8 fields per page)
Also 2 pages available for Lap info also with 8 fields

Auto start & stop along with many alarms if you want them ( I use none ) :D

A Train & Test section where you can setup workouts for intervals etc which include your preset warmup cool down etc

Although I dont use Nav or maps & this one basically does not include such...But You can preload a trip beforehand using Bryton Active online

The Android phone app is a bit hit & miss for me which is fine as I prefer using a computer after ride to log & analyze rides
Their Bryton Active online works great & can be linked to Strava , Training Peaks & SelfLoops

Bunch of other little things I like
2.3" screen
Crisp display with contrast @ only 50%
Pause shows paused does not leave screen like my old Garmin which many times I would forget to restart after a stop etc
Yes all computers have auto pause this one too but I like to keep my warm up & cool down off the record so go manual mode :thumbup:
This also fits my Garmin out front mount

Anyway ....After 14+ years on Garmin I was afraid to try something new but I am glad I did. This Bryton 410 worked out very nice for me.
I know others (not in this area) that use the 450 & Aero 60 like theirs too

robertbb

by robertbb

Looks like they've released a `Rider 420` model... which will appeal to the Rastafarians amongst us. Myself included.

Might have to pick one of these up... I'm still on an Edge 500 ;-)

ooo

by ooo

Rider 420 according to manual is 77 gr, according to website it is 67 gr.
previous model was 71 gr, but newer model is a little bit thinner
'

flying

by flying

robertbb wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:24 am
Looks like they've released a `Rider 420` model... which will appeal to the Rastafarians amongst us. Myself included.

Might have to pick one of these up... I'm still on an Edge 500 ;-)
Interesting I had never seen that 420. Guess the difference is it has turn by turn Nav

Also interesting how they moved the pause & power buttons under the unit

They also use the page button on that model in Menu mode to scroll through the menu options
So did away with two buttons good idea I guess.

When buying I used the Taiwan based Ebay seller many here mentioned before good prices! :thumbup:

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Edge 130 does not get even close to the advertised 15hr battery life, with 2 ant+ sensor, bluetooth pair to phone, on GPS only, I get around 6-7 hour max

flying

by flying

ChiZ01 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:38 pm
Edge 130 does not get even close to the advertised 15hr battery life, with 2 ant+ sensor, bluetooth pair to phone, on GPS only, I get around 6-7 hour max
My edge 305 was old of course :thumbup: But served me well for many many years but..yes battery life was never that great

This new one I am quite amazed & of course would be easy to charge after every ride or two but now I'm curious & letting it run for many rides
to see what I get out of it. I am already impressed @ 15 hours use & icon still shows quite full

Will report back when I charge :wink:

flying

by flying

Well although I still show more than 50% charged I am going to charge my new Bryton Rider 410 today after having used it for 26 hours riding

So I am inclined to believe their claim of having 35 hours battery life.
In any case it has seemed really odd riding for a dozen rides & not recharging it

Paperboy

by Paperboy

My vote is for the Edge130. I had one before I "upgraded" to a 820. The 130 did everything I wanted since I don't use a power meter [yet]. IMO, there really isn't a need for all the fancy gadgetry that comes on all the newer devices. I could do without a color touchscreen. Also, the 130 supports the Varia radar.

robertbb

by robertbb

Paperboy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am
My vote is for the Edge130. I had one before I "upgraded" to a 820. The 130 did everything I wanted since I don't use a power meter [yet]. IMO, there really isn't a need for all the fancy gadgetry that comes on all the newer devices. I could do without a color touchscreen. Also, the 130 supports the Varia radar.
I still don't get why Garmin won't release an Edge 150 (or something).... adding full Power Meter functionality to the Edge 130's physical package.

Or simply update the firmware of the 130 to support the full spectrum of power data.

A true successor to the trusty Edge 500.

Not everyone wants Strava or navigation or any of the other useless features of the 500 series.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

what exactly are you missing from power data capabilities on 130?
I bough it month ago for my gf and had to use it 2 or 3 times paired with my all my equipment - everything worked flawlessly.
I had PM data, Varia radar indications (on left side, my 820 shows on right) HR monitor, gps etc.
Uploaded data to strava/traininpeaks and - can't see where is the issue?