Tarmac Pro v S Works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Anyone know how these two frames stack up speed wise? Part of me thinks speed wise they'll be identical if built up the same. But I'm craving a fast feeling, snappy and fun bike so a bit worried the Tarmac will feel dud (though I've been riding at 13kg gravel bike all year so maybe anything will feel better).

Same tube shapes right, just a touch heavier from the cheaper layup?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraz

by uraz

Ride characteristic is also different. High modulus is always better than a regular model, regardless of brand. Nontheless I don't think there is any difference "speed wise"

Shrike

by Shrike

uraz wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:12 pm
Ride characteristic is also different. High modulus is always better than a regular model, regardless of brand. Nontheless I don't think there is any difference "speed wise"
How dramatic would the ride feel be?

What worries me most is that I bought a winter bike from China before.. old Cervelo R3 mould. Workswell I think. It was dull as hell. Really boring thing to ride, compared to something like a genuine 2016 - 2018 S5. I'd hate to buy a Tarmac Pro and it felt dull like that Workswell..

This is the bike that's got my eye.. just love the colour and can be bought for a good price. Just want something quick and fun, especially on climbs, want it to feel snappy and lively on descents. Just a buzz really and preferably not too pricey. But would rather buy nothing or get S Works than buy a mid range bike that wasn't fun as hell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzDaqnvlpaN ... _copy_link

surfinguru

by surfinguru

Maybe I'm off base here, but I would liken it to the difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra. Both great pieces of equipment, little difference in weight, large difference in price. Personally, I'm on a Tarmac Pro and I love it. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify the cost vs weight difference. Would it be cool to have the S-Works sticker? Sure, but is there really a noticeable performance gain in going S-Works? Only you can decide on that one.

Rim brake S-Works = $4000
Rim Brake Pro = $2500
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

AW84

by AW84

My Pro is fantastic to ride. I don't know how an S-Works could possibly be better, but I'm certainly not one to spend an extra $4,000 to find out. It's certainly not faster.

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm looking for a disc brake version.. so all our wheel sets are compatible going forward. Think it feels different to your rim versions? Will be heavier for sure, more carbon in fork..

When you say fantastic to ride.. is it lively, fun, what sort of wheels you got on there? I know most bikes feel great on posh wheels, but not splashing out on anything right now.

surfinguru

by surfinguru

I'll give you my $.02....

I was on an Allez comp before my Tarmac. The bottom bracket area on the Allez flexed like crazy; couldn't stand it. Started shopping for an upgrade. Thought I'd do a Roubaix or something. Nope. That felt dead as you say. Scratched that one off the list. Then I tried a Colnogo CLX 2.0. It was nice, but there was this really noticeable difference between the front of the bike and the rear. The front end was super stiff, and the rear end was all over the place and generally didn't fit me very well. Then I saw the Tarmac Pro sitting off to the side. It was definitely above my then price range, but I took it for a spin anyway. I swear, within the first 100' down the street I knew that was it. Haggled a deal with the shop and that was that. A few months down the line, I crashed that one and Specialized offered me the discounted crash replacement. I had a great opportunity to grab an S-Works but in the end decided it just wasn't worth the extra money for what you really get. In the end, I just got another Pro and haven't looked back once. I've pretty much upgraded everyting since then, but damn, I LOVE THIS BIKE!
20180914_143323.jpg
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

People really misunderstand the concept of different grades of carbon fibre. A higher 'grade' or higher modulus carbon will have a higher stiffness to weight ratio. Therefore less carbon can be used for the same level of stiffness. The tarmac Pro uses 10r carbon as opposed to 12r for the S Works frame. So whilst the s works frame will be lighter, they will both have the same level of stiffness and both have identical ride characteristics.

I ride a Tarmac Pro, and have ridden an S Works. No discernible difference. Only thing that changes it is the weight savings from Dura Ace and the lighter CLX 50.

If you're after an exciting, snappy handling bike the Tarmac is the one. It's always been known as one of the most exciting handling bikes - the SL6 is no different.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Just spent some time on my friends new tarmac pro. Frame was way tiny for me but with the seatpost maxed out i could ride it. I wouldn't call it exciting, more like precise and solid. Very nicely and obviously darting forward when hammered up from 30kph. Frame felt stiff but the 26 tires (28 real width) gave enough comfort. So overall it seemed to be a very well designed and balanced bike. Good quality paint as well.

Tofast

by Tofast

What is the weight of your tarmac disc pro?

AW84

by AW84

Shrike wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 pm
I'm looking for a disc brake version.. so all our wheel sets are compatible going forward. Think it feels different to your rim versions? Will be heavier for sure, more carbon in fork..

When you say fantastic to ride.. is it lively, fun, what sort of wheels you got on there? I know most bikes feel great on posh wheels, but not splashing out on anything right now.
Riding the CL50's that came on it, which are likewise excellent wheels.

The SL6 just feels solid, stiff, very precise. I have an SL5, as well, and the new one just feels snappier and more accurate in all regards. A smidge lighter, too...in stock form with a carbon rail saddle it's about 15.7 lbs. (56cm)

xylar

by xylar

Asked this in another thread but does anyone know the difference between Expert and Pro? The only things I've noticed is the groupset (Ultegra vs Ultegra Di2) and wheels (C38 vs CL50). Anything else? When I total up the difference it comes to around £800 but bike RRP difference is £1750 so I feel I'm missing something??

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

xylar wrote:Asked this in another thread but does anyone know the difference between Expert and Pro? The only things I've noticed is the groupset (Ultegra vs Ultegra Di2) and wheels (C38 vs CL50). Anything else? When I total up the difference it comes to around £800 but bike RRP difference is £1750 so I feel I'm missing something??
Frames are identical, only wheels and equipment are different. I assume ride quality will be on par if both had the same wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

@AW84 - that weight is brilliant for a stock bike on a non Tour lever frame.

Looking at what xylem said though is interesting. The Pro version looks marked up more than the Expert. Any reason for that? Both seem to use the same layup in the frame and fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

To the OP... I do not think the Tarmac Pro will feel muted or dead at all. If that is what yo're worried about, don't worry. It is a geat bike. The S-Works will certainly be lighter, if you're looking to build the lightest possible build, that's the way to go, but both bikes will feel great in terms of ride quality. I owned a 1st gen. Venge Pro and had several friends with 1st gen. SWorks Venges.. I've ridden both, back to back and there was no difference in terms of feel. Additionally, the weight differences between the two frames, bare was like 150-200 grams and my Pro was basically equal on overall build weight, if not slightly lighter, because of some of the parts I chose vs. the stock S-Works parts.