Tarmac Pro v S Works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Buy the PRO.

I'm not going to talk to you about this and that. I actually have owned a PRO and now an SWORKS.
The PRO road amazingly well. Lively when you stood up for climbs and stiff in a ful out sprint and steady on fast decents. CERTAINLY NOT DEAD!
My SWORKS, a snappy and lively machine. Careful where you point it as it will bite you. - aka - pay attention!

The PRO and light set of wheels will easily bring you back into that same weight range you sacrificed not getting the SWORKS. - Really we're splitting hairs here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Ronin416 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 am
Buy the PRO.

I'm not going to talk to you about this and that. I actually have owned a PRO and now an S-Works .
The PRO rode amazingly well. Lively when you stood up for climbs and stiff in a full-out sprint and steady on fast decents. CERTAINLY NOT DEAD!
My S-Works , a snappy and lively machine. Careful where you point it as it will bite you. - aka - pay attention!

The PRO and light set of wheels will easily bring you back into that same weight range you sacrificed not getting the S-Works . - Really we're splitting hairs here.
Splitting hairs is nothing compared to not getting what you really want and having a facsimile. Do it right the first time(whatever that may mean to the OP).
Last edited by tabl10s on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

heliuscc

by heliuscc

I had this exact dilemma, and nearly bought the s-works at £7500.
Then saw some places nearby doing the expert in green for £2800, so £4700 cheaper.
So I bought the expert
4FAFEB42-AFF5-42D2-AFB9-E76CDC346D28.jpeg
Took all the ultegra Di2 kit off my cervelo, added a 130g repente Aleena saddle, and changed bar and stem to Zipp SL-C and SL stem. And went tubeless conti GP5000 28mm.

It's amazing, I've had Emonda (disc and rim), Madone 5.2, Bianchi Infinito CV, and most recently had a Cervelo C3, which was too comfortable really.

But the Tarmac is more comfortable than all of them, faster than all of them, and much snappier. The roval C38s feel way better than my reynolds AR41X as well, which surprised me.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

tabl10s wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:38 pm
Ronin416 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 am
Buy the PRO.

I'm not going to talk to you about this and that. I actually have owned a PRO and now an S-Works .
The PRO rode amazingly well. Lively when you stood up for climbs and stiff in a full-out sprint and steady on fast decents. CERTAINLY NOT DEAD!
My S-Works , a snappy and lively machine. Careful where you point it as it will bite you. - aka - pay attention!

The PRO and light set of wheels will easily bring you back into that same weight range you sacrificed not getting the S-Works . - Really we're splitting hairs here.
Splitting hairs is nothing compared to not getting what you really want and having a facsimile. Do it right the first time(whatever that may mean to the OP).
Totally agree - just save or borrow... just wait and get the S-Works and let your mind rest in peace!

morganb

by morganb

My rim brake Expert frame weighed the same as some of the painted S-Works frames (920g). Definitely don't think the S-Works is worth the extra money especially if you can put the savings into better parts elsewhere.

biwa

by biwa

heliuscc wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:45 pm
I had this exact dilemma, and nearly bought the s-works at £7500.
Then saw some places nearby doing the expert in green for £2800, so £4700 cheaper.
So I bought the expert
4FAFEB42-AFF5-42D2-AFB9-E76CDC346D28.jpeg

Took all the ultegra Di2 kit off my cervelo, added a 130g repente Aleena saddle, and changed bar and stem to Zipp SL-C and SL stem. And went tubeless conti GP5000 28mm.

It's amazing, I've had Emonda (disc and rim), Madone 5.2, Bianchi Infinito CV, and most recently had a Cervelo C3, which was too comfortable really.

But the Tarmac is more comfortable than all of them, faster than all of them, and much snappier. The roval C38s feel way better than my reynolds AR41X as well, which surprised me.
Off topic, but how's your Repente saddle? They seem pretty niche and less popular than Berk, while sharing similar design.

heliuscc

by heliuscc

I have the Repente on both gravel bike and road bike. It's light and comfortable, but have recently changed the tarmac saddle to a Specialized power arc so am selling one Repente with a set of their bar tape. Let me know if you'd like to try one.

dingleberries

by dingleberries

@Shrike, what was the outcome? Did you go for the S-Works Tarmac or the standard Tarmac Pro?