Michelin or Conti or Pirelli or ... ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
StanK

by StanK

In short, I looking to replace Michelin Lithion 2 tires with something lighter and lower RR. I like Lithion very much, so nothing wrong with them.
Weight ... let's say, no more that 210-215g. And no red logos, letters or anything red. At least not more than 1 square cm :)

I'm on Michelin last 15 years, so that would be my first choice. But...
Michelin Power Competition and PRO4 Service Course seems a little too much prone to going flat, if it's to trust some web reports. So, I looking for some other option (Pirelli Zero, Continental 5000).

I used Michelin Pro4 Endurance for few rides, but they are maybe 1mm narrower (maybe lower profile too, I didn't measure them then) than Lithion (although both "on paper" are 23c), and I didn't like feeling. But, on the other way, I wouldn't go for 25c. I just can't take a few hours to watch such wide tire :mrgreen: So I need a 23c tire that is, maybe, slightly wider than 23c. Yeah, I know it sounds a little bit picking, but ...

Is there some other tires that would fit the bill? Or ... that "web reports" are exaggerated and Michelin racing tires are just fine regarding puncture protection? I would like to go lighter and with lower RR, but I don't want end up with relatively high risk of punctures. That's paramount, everything else is not that important.
With older Michelin Krylion I had zero (0) punctures in approx. 13 000 km. I had 1 puncture with Lithion in 6000 km and I would like things to stay that way. Is it even posibble with 200-210g tires? I ride only in dry conditions.

by Weenie

alanyu

by alanyu

Check here for some numbers on the roller:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews

Personally, I will never buy pirelli tyres again, never. They are too good at marketing, talking about the F1's (actually even their F1 tryes are not as good as their introduction).
About bike tyres, for example, zero velo vs. GP4k sII. They have a similar RR and a similar puncture protection, but GP4k's grip better, and have a (much) lower price in the street shop. What's more, zero velo's being sold now may be more than 210g, as they've changed the formula several times to avoid the rubber cracking.

moyboy

by moyboy

Gp5000 good all round choice. Also great performance numbers

StanK

by StanK

alanyu wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm
Check here for some numbers on the roller:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews
Yeah, I looked at that, many times over. But, that's only part of "story". And I have never been a big fan of just "look at that numbers" approach, so ...
alanyu wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm
Personally, I will never buy pirelli tyres again, never. They are too good at marketing, talking about the F1's (actually even their F1 tryes are not as good as their introduction).
About bike tyres, for example, zero velo vs. GP4k sII. They have a similar RR and a similar puncture protection, but GP4k's grip better, and have a (much) lower price in the street shop. What's more, zero velo's being sold now may be more than 210g, as they've changed the formula several times to avoid the rubber cracking.
... this gives me better info. Thanks.

StanK

by StanK

moyboy wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:47 pm
Gp5000 good all round choice. Also great performance numbers
Since Conti (4000, 5000) was the most commonly used road tire, I feared from the beginning that the suggestions would be inclined towards them :)
Can anybody, in few words, make comparison with Michelin Power Comp or Pro4 SC? Or, at least, what you don't like about Conti, and you like about Michelin? Or vice versa.

blehargh

by blehargh

I ran Power Comps for a season or 2, but eventually moved away from them. Too many sidewall blowouts that would end my ride. Went thru 3 tires in probably under 1000 miles, so swapped them out.

Ran schwalbe ones for awhile and they seemed good. Onto GP5000s now tho, but can't say i have enough miles on them to comment quite yet.

AGB

by AGB

Tried all 3.
Michelin Power Comps - supple ride but soft rubber so they wear out fast. Feel fast!!
Pirelli - not as supple or as fast (personal feeling) as PowerComps but they last a little bit longer.
Conti - 4000,4000RS - last longer than the 2 above but a harsher ride.
Conti 5000 - more supple ride than 4000 but not as plush as PC's but last longer and BEST OVERALL tire I have ridden so far. Feels fast!!

Hope that helps..
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.35kg sans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

If you like Michelin you can't really go wrong with Power comps. The sidewalls are fragile and grip just so so but they are very very fast and light. No problems with flats, I had more with Conti 4k.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

+1 for the Michelins

In winter I use the Michelin Power All Season
I feel like I have to pedal a little harder for the same speed
But the puncture protection is way better
Fuji SL 5.8kg - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Focus Izalco Max Disc - Final Weight 6.7kg - http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

StanK

by StanK

Additional puncture protection is nice thing, but if I wanted just that, I would probably go for Michelin PRO4 Endurance in 25c. They have some extra protecting layer, but problem is that would be probably 250-260g.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

So, you want them light, you want them fast and you never ever want to have a puncture? You were worried that everyone would recommend Contis (because they are good?)
You can't have everything in life and furthermore it's not possible for any one rider to have accumulated enough back to back miles on these recent generation tyres to compare in any valid way between them. The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

What is clear is that you have been using poorly performing, durability and value focussed tyres. If you make a step up to the most recent premium models you could easily be saving 8W which is more than many of us who are experiencing terminal age-related decline could ever gain in a decent winter's training.

The actual frequency of punctures on these tyres is low when well maintained and changed in a timely fashion. The only reason to use something heavier is for a work bike or if puncturing would pose a risk to your health due to cold etc.

Michelin made a big step in CRR between Pro4 and Power. Why would you buy the old ones?

You can't go wrong with any of the latest tyres.

StanK

by StanK

I didn't say fast, just lower RR than Lithion2, which isn't problem at all.

All I ask for is first hand experience with those tires. Puncture resistance means more to me than "8W", because I'm not racing. So, yes, I would trade some RR for better puncture resistance.
And ... PRO4 Service Course had better numbers in that department than Power Competition (PC). If that's the case in practice ... I'd love to know. That's why I'm thinking of them too.
So far we have mixed info (on Power Competition) of being pretty bad, and ... not bad. And also similar on Conti 4000. It will be interesting :)

StanK

by StanK

AGB wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:20 am
... Michelin Power Comps - supple ride but soft rubber so they wear out fast. Feel fast!! ...
... Conti 5000 - more supple ride than 4000 but not as plush as PC's but last longer and BEST OVERALL tire I have ridden so far. Feels fast!!
Let's focus just on these. Can you be little more specific on "BEST OVERALL"? What are biggest differences between those two?
Or, good and not so good characteristic ... something like that. I would really appreciate some extra info :)

spartacus

by spartacus

Dude just get gp5000s

sychen

by sychen

Power comp experiment ended fasr with sidewall cuts..

Never liked gp4k.. Haven't tried 5k yet.

Love the feel of veloflex masters.. But their braking behaviour is not the best.. Breaks loose more easily.

Best still specialized turbo cottons... Fast, durable enough.. Braking great in wet or dry.

Have not tryed new Vittoria corsa g2s..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie