The Supertuck: Is it really as unsafe as people make it out to be?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

1,3 and 4... generally .... mostly 1
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ms6073

by ms6073

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:24 pm
The Froome/Mohoric tuc feel quite dangerous
Given Froome's predilection for staring at his computer, seems like everything he does on the bike is twitchy. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

I always use the Sagan tuck. Almost sitting on the top tube, butt against the seat post, hands in the drops. I'm perfectly stable and able to steer around obstacles just fine in this position. I keep my nuts off the top tube and chest just off the steerer in case I hit bumps that I don't see. Honestly, it's tough to keep this position too long anyway because the legs get tired holding myself up like that.

Is it safe? Yes. Banned? Gimme a break. Sagan does wheelies in the mountains and we're worried about how a guy rides his bike down a hill? Think of the children!! Get a life. I'd say the motorcycles in the races riding within feet of cyclists while doing 50mph down a windy road is wayyyyyy more dangerous.

If they ban tucking while descending, better ban crits too since its almost a guarantee there will be a crash in every race.

Baal

by Baal

I am pretty confident in the bike handling skills of pros who do this.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Baal wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:40 am
I am pretty confident in the bike handling skills of pros who do this.

Not sure I ever want to ride near G or Zakarin if they're in a supertuck.

ancker

by ancker

Pretty much everyone that does a supertuck in a group ride is the last person you'd want doing it around you.

I don't think it's inherently unsafe, just that everyone who does it around me is sketchy fully planted on the saddle.
They usually get a decent amount of grief when they try it...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ancker wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:32 pm
Pretty much everyone that does a supertuck in a group ride is the last person you'd want doing it around you.

I don't think it's inherently unsafe, just that everyone who does it around me is sketchy fully planted on the saddle.

The people on our group rides who do the supertuck often have bands on their jerseys. I trust them.

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:24 pm
ancker wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:32 pm

The people on our group rides who do the supertuck often have bands on their jerseys. I trust them.
What do you mean by bands on their jerseys? Do you mean they are current or former national road cycling (or CX etc..) champions? :thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:03 am

What do you mean by bands on their jerseys? Do you mean they are current or former national road cycling (or CX etc..) champions? :thumbup:

Mostly age group champs, but they are fast[er than I] and good bike handlers

TonyM

by TonyM

OT:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:08 am
Mostly age group champs, but they are fast[er than I] and good bike handlers
Interesting! I never heard of that. Are you living in the US?
Can they wear the bands/ stripes forever like national champions or just for the year that they are age group champ in their country?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:14 am

Can they wear the bands/ stripes forever like national champions or just for the year that they are age group champ in their country?

I'm in the US and the guy who shows up lately won his bands in 2017. On group rides he wears a team kit with subtle red/white/blue strips on the cuffs. Not sure what the official etiquette is...it's a group ride, not a race.

e: It looks like once you win a US amateur national championship, you can wear the stars/stripes forever and in any discipline too.

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:22 am
TonyM wrote:

I'm in the US and the guy who shows up lately won his bands in 2017. On group rides he wears a team kit with subtle red/white/blue strips on the cuffs. Not sure what the official etiquette is...it's a group ride, not a race.

e: It looks like once you win a US amateur national championship, you can wear the stars/stripes forever and in any discipline too.
Interesting! Thanks!
(quite different than Europe! Only national champs like Jungels, Barguil, Schachmann etc...)

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:43 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:22 am
TonyM wrote:

Interesting! Thanks!
(quite different than Europe! Only national champs like Jungels, Barguil, Schachmann etc...)
For world road champions, once you win, can’t you wear rainbow stripes on your sleeves forever? I think Sagan, Kwiatkowski, Costa etc. do. In the year after your win, you can wear the striped jersey as Valverde does.

I also live in the SF Area and met a (snobby) rider who explained his sleeve stripes were for an age group team pursuit national championship.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Catagory6

by Catagory6

djamolodine Apujaparov was the inspiration for numerous UCI regulations in cycling form.

TonyM

by TonyM

Stendhal wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:13 am
For world road champions, once you win, can’t you wear rainbow stripes on your sleeves forever? I think Sagan, Kwiatkowski, Costa etc. do. In the year after your win, you can wear the striped jersey as Valverde does.

I also live in the SF Area and met a (snobby) rider who explained his sleeve stripes were for an age group team pursuit national championship.
What a funny guy this snobby rider! LOL

In Europe there is only one national road cycling champion per country. They wear then the national stripes of their country for that year and then they can wear the stripes on the collar or on the arms of their jerseys forever. Like Viviani, Lampeart, Demare, Aru, ....
But no age group road cycling national champion etc.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com