The Supertuck: Is it really as unsafe as people make it out to be?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Catagory6 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 am
djamolodine Apujaparov ...
OMG a name that I had not heard in the last 20 years.....I really feel old remembering him in his dangereous sprints....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:03 am

In Europe there is only one national road cycling champion per country. They wear then the national stripes of their country for that year and then they can wear the stripes on the collar or on the arms of their jerseys forever. Like Viviani, Lampeart, Demare, Aru, ....
But no age group road cycling national champion etc.....

Sorry I should have been more specific. The rules are the same... his stars/stripes are on the cuffs of his kit (collar, sleeves, leg grippers)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:03 am

In Europe there is only one national road cycling champion per country. They wear then the national stripes of their country for that year and then they can wear the stripes on the collar or on the arms of their jerseys forever. Like Viviani, Lampeart, Demare, Aru, ....
But no age group road cycling national champion etc.....

Sorry I should have been more specific. The rules are the same... his stars/stripes are on the cuffs of his kit (collar, sleeves, leg grippers)
I can’t recall having seen any former national road cycling champions with stripes on their leg grippers however. That is somehow too much I suppose..

And there are here in Europe no “age group” national champion...Only national road cycling champion.

andreas

by andreas

TonyM wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:49 am
And there are here in Europe no “age group” national champion...Only national road cycling champion.
That's incorrect, Junior/U23 and Masters (age brackets at 30+) national championships are held in several countries. The reward is the right to wear a national champions Jersey for one year (may be restricted to only races for the same category/age bracket, not sure).

Methodical

by Methodical

I would not attempt it with the people in the some of the groups I ride with - hell, they can't even keep a straight line or steady pace and they never look around when changing positions (i.e. moving left or right) to see if anyone is coming up on them. They just swerve left or right and sometimes nearly cause crashes.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

AJS914

by AJS914

You never know if people earned those bands. There is a guy in my club that have stars and stripes bands on his jersey. When I ordered my club jersey, I noticed that it's simply a checkbox option when you order from Voler. And nobody polices it!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Everybody’s a winner in the USA! Image
I’ve known some “age groupers” that “podium”, mostly because there were only 5 or so people in the age group. Happens a lot in Triathlons I think, especially as you get older. You finish without dying, you win!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Super tuck I
Can never be "safe" you rolling faster and ha e reposition to brake hard. So in the event of something requiring you to stop you will take longer to stop. Safety is relative. Its not something I would do or need to. I roll down hill faster than most I ride with anyway.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Catagory6 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:22 am
djamolodine Abdujaparov was the inspiration for numerous UCI regulations in cycling form.
The Tashkent Terror! How many careers did that guy end? I think my 'favourite' was the time he was sprinting with his head down, not once looking forward as he drifted across half the road until smashing himself into the barriers causing the pile up to end all pileups. Just mindboggling.

flying

by flying

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:05 pm
You finish without dying, you win!
Good T-Shirt slogan :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

flying wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:05 pm
You finish without dying, you win!
Good T-Shirt slogan :thumbup:
+1!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I ride the same group rides as Tobin and we do have quite a few pretty studly participants. He failed to mention former Canadian National Champion in multiple disciplines and Olympian Linda Jackson. Longtime owner/manager of Team Tibco/SVB Women's UCI Pro Tour team. She rides this group ride consistently and I am simply amazed that a woman in her 60's can hammer the way she does. It's simply amazing when you can witness the real chasm of abilities between amateurs and elite/former elite athletes.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:07 am
I ride the same group rides as Tobin and we do have quite a few pretty studly participants. He failed to mention former Canadian National Champion in multiple disciplines and Olympian Linda Jackson. Longtime owner/manager of Team Tibco/SVB Women's UCI Pro Tour team. She rides this group ride consistently and I am simply amazed that a woman in her 60's can hammer the way she does. It's simply amazing when you can witness the real chasm of abilities between amateurs and elite/former elite athletes.

Yeah, these aren't "fields of 5" national champions. The guy I was talking about placed 1st/70 to earn his stripes.

scale29

by scale29

It's entirely optional though. In the group i ride with in the UK, there are 3 that could have rainbow bands on their sleeves and collars but don't, and 4 further that could have national bands, but don't. I guess they don't need to prove anything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I say if you got 'em, flaunt 'em. Need more fresh blood coming into cycling, and that kind of visibility is encouragement. Wearing colors on trim is pretty subtle anyway.