Travelling with disc brake bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Anyone encountered any problem while travelling (airline) with their disc brake bike, especially those with hardcases where you need to remove and turn the handlebars and fork?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

If centerlock, pull the discs off so they done get bent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hkgmatt

by hkgmatt

I usually take the rotors off and put them into the case separately. I also put spacers into the calipers in case the levers get pulled accidentally. I have had no issues on multiple trips.

moyboy

by moyboy

Transported disc brake bike with bothe the scicon tsa evo and topeak pakgo x. No issues. I usually bring a rotor tuning fork just in case.

Disc brake spacer is a good practice. Extra padding and a layer of bubblewrap for good measure.

Boshk

by Boshk

Thanks, how about the hydraulic cables though, specifically when you remove the handlebar from the stem and rotate it..... Possible leaks?

morrisond

by morrisond

You should have no worries - they are quite robust - unless your cables are too short and there isn't enough slack to turn your bars.

ms6073

by ms6073

morrisond wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:44 pm
unless your cables are too short and there isn't enough slack to turn your bars.
While not directly on topic, given the rise of the all-intern hydro disc brake bikes, wonder how one travels with those bikes as there is next to no extra hydro hose.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ms6073 wrote:
morrisond wrote:
unless your cables are too short and there isn't enough slack to turn your bars.
While not directly on topic, given the rise of the all-intern hydro disc brake bikes, wonder how one travels with those bikes as there is next to no extra hydro hose.
Then you don’t have a bike built to survive a crash, or the relatively mundane rigors of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morrisond

by morrisond

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:08 pm
morrisond wrote:
If it's all internal I would assume that the hydro hoses go through the steerer tube or right next to it - so it shouldn't be issue as the hose itself will rotate and it doesn't need to wrap itself around an Head Tube.
Last edited by morrisond on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edwardk

by edwardk

I recently traveled trans-Atlantic with my bike with Campy H12 discs, using a super compact soft case (so that I had to remove the fork/handlebar assembly from the frame), and had no issues with brake fluid leaks or rotor issues. I probably will pull off the rotors next time out of an abundance of caution. Caliper blocks strike me as indispensable, given how everything gets compressed in a soft case.

I did carry a spare rotor with me, which proved to be prescient, as Campy gear is not easy to find in every small town, even in France. My front rotor needed replacement after a low speed crash of the most embarrassing sort — leaving the front wheel propped up on the side of the car, loading the bike, and driving off without the wheel.

Edward