2020 tarmac pro axs or 2019 s-works

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Campervan

by Campervan

Seeing as my Venge is being written off (but keeping for occasional gentle use). Looking for a new bike, I was think 2019 s-works tarmac frameset, ultegra di2 & hunt 30 wheels or the new 2020 tarmac pro disc axs. Any idea of weight difference?
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

Boshk

by Boshk

There is a thread on it but no real weigh though. You may have to go to your Specialized store and weigh it.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=153631
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143539&start=450

From page 31....
S-Works SL6
Frame 56 non disc: 883gr
seat post: 180gr
front fork: 341gr
Google search came up with 773g for size 56.
I would guess the Pro version is close to 900g+

Couple of questions:
-Do you want S-Works label ......yes, it is a serious question....if you don't care, then Pro
-Are you going to try ww this new bike?.......if so, S-Works.
Hunt does a sub 900g wheels tubs, and DA di2 will probably be 300g lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

S works, it uses higher grade carbon, so the frames are not identical with Pro version (unlike Venge).
You may want to make component changes later but as the frame is the heart of your bike, start with the best:) you can buy components second hand etc.

And if you care about weight, etap axs is pretty heavy.

robeambro

by robeambro

Campervan wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm
Seeing as my Venge is being written off (but keeping for occasional gentle use). Looking for a new bike, I was think 2019 s-works tarmac frameset, ultegra di2 & hunt 30 wheels or the new 2020 tarmac pro disc axs. Any idea of weight difference?
I'd go for the first option. Better carbon layup frame, better groupset (unless you need 12s :roll: ), ego boost from it being an S-Works, lighter frame & groupset. There's no comparison. Unless you like the colour of the 2020 Tarmac Pro better.

Out of curiosity, what happened to your Venge?

Campervan

by Campervan

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:26 am
Campervan wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm
I'd go for the first option. Better carbon layup frame, better groupset (unless you need 12s :roll: ), ego boost from it being an S-Works, lighter frame & groupset. There's no comparison. Unless you like the colour of the 2020 Tarmac Pro better.

Out of curiosity, what happened to your Venge?
I was hit by a car trying to overtake me. Damage where the chain came off hitting the chsinstay behind the small crank. Ss it's got a lifetime warranty the insurance company will not repair it.
IMG_20190715_094806.jpg
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

That looks perfectly fine. I would ride that as is with no repair. Take the money and run I say.

dcorn

by dcorn

Definitely the first option.

Force AXS looks terrible to me. The RD is HUGE and the all black coating on all the metal parts look kinda cheap.

Is that damage really that deep into the carbon or just through the paint? Did you get it ultrasound tested by anyone to determine the actual damage inside? I'd say send it to calfee or someone to wrap a few layers of carbon around the mark and ride it. In addition to the new bike, of course...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com