Do you negotiate price when buying a bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you negotiate bike price

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 42

Sinicity

by Sinicity

Just curious,

How many of you negotiate on the price of your bike when making a purchase.

And if you do negotiate- what range of discount do you try to get?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

10-20% but depends if already discounted.
Chasse patate

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It really depends on the shop. I tend not to negotiate with the two shops I frequent most because I already get a club discount at one and the other shop gives back in other, cooler ways.

Some other shops will offer you a big discount without even asking, especially at certain times of the year when they are putting big "team buy" orders in...around March and August.

I just don't expect it anymore because bike shops have worse operating margins than other retail businesses.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

Of course. It's sales at the end of the day and may the best man/shop make the sale. I take price, convenience, service, my mood into consideration when making the purchase.
On 7/14/19, I got a brand new in box, but 2018 model supersix evo hm disc da for $3900 no tax. Sticker price was 6500. I don't see myself going back to the shop unless I need to, I have a good lbs 5 mins from my house that does good maintenance work
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

skyliner1004 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:40 am
Of course. It's sales at the end of the day and may the best man/shop make the sale. I take price, convenience, service, my mood into consideration when making the purchase.
On 7/14/19, I got a brand new in box, but 2018 model supersix evo hm disc da for $3900 no tax. Sticker price was 6500. I don't see myself going back to the shop unless I need to, I have a good lbs 5 mins from my house that does good maintenance work

That's consistent with the price found here: https://goridebicycles.com/close-out-bicycles/

$100 less, but CA sales tax. No negotiating necessary. Just recently sold out since it was a pretty hot deal. Too bad they didn't refresh that particular spec for MY2019 or there would still be some on closeout for the same price.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I go for ~20% off a non-discounted price... it's my standard bro rate
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 am
skyliner1004 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:40 am

That's consistent with the price found here: https://goridebicycles.com/close-out-bicycles/

$100 less, but CA sales tax. No negotiating necessary. Just recently sold out since it was a pretty hot deal. Too bad they didn't refresh that particular spec for MY2019 or there would still be some on closeout for the same price.
Yea i think that's the going rate for a 1.5 year old bike that's due for a refresh. Tax would kill the deal and I was prepared to walk if the shop wouldn't waive it. Are the bikes u linked from an actual lbs, or online store only? Mine was from an all out lbs along a major bike route with service dept (lifetime free adjustments), coffee shop and all.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

skyliner1004 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:12 am

Yea i think that's the going rate for a 1.5 year old bike that's due for a refresh. Tax would kill the deal and I was prepared to walk if the shop wouldn't waive it. Are the bikes u linked from an actual lbs, or online store only? Mine was from an all out lbs along a major bike route with service dept (lifetime free adjustments), coffee shop and all.

Local shop, don't think they sell online. They just buy an awful lot of closeout inventory from Cannondale. They will sell current versions of a lot of those bikes at the same price provided the spec is mostly the same, but Cannondale won't let them advertise it.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I work at a bike shop so I won't be paying retail for anything again, even after I quit.
If you want to haggle, don't haggle with the confused 17 y/o in the back, he won't be able to do anything for you and probably gets paid less than minimum wage. When they say 'let me ask my boss' they go to the back take a sip of the sugary shit they are drinking in the back and say 'sorry we can't do anything, it's a brand new model, we can't put it on sale yet.' Common practice.
Find the oldest dude at the shop, make the selling process easy for them and you can probably get 10-15% off.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

I am not buying a bike if it's not at least discounted 15-20% depending on the bike. Bikes are on sale all the time, at least that's my experience.

themidge

by themidge

^ +1, Imagine paying full price for any of the new Sram-equipped OEM bikes, just wait a year.

I haven't bought anything bigger than a single brake cable and some brake pads in my LBS for ages so no in-person haggling from me :D. When buying used though, especially on eBay, there's no harm in throwing in a low offer even if you have to pay the original price by the end.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

You guys get and expect 20% discount on bikes?? No wonder physical bikeshops go bankrupt...

gravity

by gravity

Depends. Normally i’d look around online on what each component cost, and then calculate rough total amount and compare it with the price of the bike. If its too much then i’d nego a price im willing to pay. But if the bike is already cheap i wouldn’t push it too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gravity

by gravity

Martin.F wrote:You guys get and expect 20% discount on bikes?? No wonder physical bikeshops go bankrupt...
Normally bike shops inflate the price 10-20% and then give 10-20% discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Really? Who falls for that? In my 10+ years experience working with bikes, it's hard making as much as 20% margin on a ultegra and up specced bike unless it's some sort of house brand bike. And most customers knows what the bikes cost and are worth, so inflating above retail won't get you anywhere. Besides, you are pricing yourself out of the market so people go elsewhere

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com