EEwings All Road crankset for road

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello

Any one using the EEwings for road with the 2x spider...

Any thoughts on it... Stiffness... Qfactor... Etc...

I'm interested in one... And thinking on using - 6mm spindles on the Keywin pedals to compensate the Qfactor...

Let me know please on your thoughts...

Also is anyone using the in PFBB30 with what BB... I'm interested in the Whyte industries PFBB30 ss bearings...

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

I am using them 1 x so not quite what you are asking but here goes.....

They are plenty stiff. I also have the mountain bike version and was frankly a bit unmoved by their stiffness. There is just so much else going on with a mountain bike that you can't properly appreciate the stiffness, but it is there. On the road however, the stiffness is perceivable.

I am running a Chris King Threadfit 30 on a 68mm English threaded BB. Super smooth, easy to install and adjust.

I am running the 1 x spider rather than the direct mount option. I am running them with SRAM AXS and this was the only way to get a flat top chain compatible chainring. I would rather run a direct mount, but the spider is super stiff and nicely made. I just prefer the looks of the direct mount option.

The only issue that I have to report concerns the Q factor. The Q factor at the BB spindle is not too bad, but because of the curvature of the tubes (they are squashed tubes afterall) they are quite fat about 5-6cms along their length which is where I do get some heel and ankle contact. I have never experienced this with any other chainset and I have used many.

On balance, they are a great 1 x mountain bike chainset where the combination of weight, strength, stiffness and their ability to withstand knocks makes them in a league of their own. On the road, for the money there are perhaps better options out there from the major groupset manufacturers, or THM for a little more.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Thanks your answer

I already had the normal Clavícula and for my weight 88kg they are missing some stiffness, reason I chose to change to the OMC ITÁLIA.

I'm running Campagnolo with Absolute Black oval chainring on a OMC ITÁLIA Crank and would like to change to a more friendly user maintained Crankset... Since I've to take the bike to my Lbs every time I need to lube the bearings on the BB.

Extra stiffness will also be appreciated.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

In the fairwheel test omc deflected more than thm.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Was looking at maybe pairing up this crank with AXO PM so I can run 4x110 AB rings and still keep things relatively light. There is very little for reviews and I know the Q factor at 160 is big but what gives?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Check out Sturdy's new Ti crank! Soo much slicker and better Q-factor
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

elfuinha

by elfuinha

CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:38 pm
i know that he release a TI 3D printed Crank, and they look fantastik.
Almost bought one last month, but ended upgrading to RED AXS.

My problems with this crank are:

- Price - about 370€ more than the EEWings, before Brexit. This diference can be used to buy a Sigeyi Power spider.
- Price after Brexit - That's a new problem, and in my case products being taxed here in Portugal is: + 23% IVA + a percentage for importing bike parts + process taxes 15€. So i don't know what will be the final price.
- Also i don't know what will be the stiffness VS the EEwings.
- Weight will be the same.

In fact the Q-factor is better, 160mm to 145mm if i'm not mistanken. But i've ajusting with Pedal spindle - KEYWIN - 3mm in each pedal.

So the diference for a 145mm crank with normal pedals, to my EEwings with -3mm spinddles is about 3mm give or take.

I want to buy an other crank for my Victoire Cycles XCR bike, to replace the Sworks+Quarq... still don't know... what to get during next year.

But they look really great - check here:

https://theradavist.com/2020/11/sturdy- ... dy-cycles/

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

elfuinha wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:11 pm
CustomMetal wrote:

- Price - about 370€ more than the EEWings, before Brexit. This diference can be used to buy a Sigeyi Power spider.
- Price after Brexit - That's a new problem, and in my case products being taxed here in Portugal is: + 23% IVA + a percentage for importing bike parts + process taxes 15€. So i don't know what will be the final price.

In fact the Q-factor is better, 160mm to 145mm if i'm not mistanken. But i've ajusting with Pedal spindle - KEYWIN - 3mm in each pedal.

So the diference for a 145mm crank with normal pedals, to my EEwings with -3mm spinddles is about 3mm give or take.

I want to buy an other crank for my Victoire Cycles XCR bike, to replace the Sworks+Quarq... still don't know... what to get during next year.

Yeap, that's why I'm only getting them on one of my Sturdy's 😂
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

elfuinha

by elfuinha

CustomMetal wrote:
Did you order any for your bikes?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

elfuinha wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:20 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Did you order any for your bikes?
Yeap on the aero. The monster X has a red AXS dub and the steel a 12 speed campy SR
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

kode54

by kode54

Thx for that link. Great article.
elfuinha wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:11 pm
CustomMetal wrote:

- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Tom has some nice looking frames on the links and he also has a chainset with a smaller Q factor. I messaged him and was surprised that he replied almost right away giving me some info on the chainset. He says its entirely of 6/4 Ti whereas the EE is a mixture of (axle 6/4, arms 3/2.5). The frames have beautiful smooth joints that intersect and transition as seamless as carbon frames. Sure is refreshing to see some more options for Ti frames being offered.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com