Trek Madone 9 seat cluster

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sabrerider

by Sabrerider

Hi all,
I recently got a Trek Madone 9 SLR. Very happy with the bike but one thing starts freaking me out.
Few days ago I noticed that the whole seat cluster has noticeable lateral play, where it is attached to the frame via the ISO speed hinge. It is not the seat post in the L-shaped part. The whole thing rocks left and right.
I did tighten the hinge bolt a bit already until the wobbling disappeared, but I found no torque values for that bolt. And it made scary sounds, while tightening it.

Has anybody experienced something similar, or found a proper torque value for that bolt?

Thanks for your infos!

Sabre

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

Sabrerider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm
Hi all,
I recently got a Trek Madone 9 SLR. Very happy with the bike but one thing starts freaking me out.
Few days ago I noticed that the whole seat cluster has noticeable lateral play, where it is attached to the frame via the ISO speed hinge. It is not the seat post in the L-shaped part. The whole thing rocks left and right.
I did tighten the hinge bolt a bit already until the wobbling disappeared, but I found no torque values for that bolt. And it made scary sounds, while tightening it.

Has anybody experienced something similar, or found a proper torque value for that bolt?

Thanks for your infos!

Sabre
I would bring your bike into your local Trek dealer to have them inspect. It sounds as though it may be overtorqued judging by the sounds it made - overtorquing carbon is risky. But if it was the main pivot bolt under the cover. You tighten the non drive side of it to 8 Nm.

But definitely bring it to your dealer and have them take it apart in that area and inspect the frame.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sabrerider

by Sabrerider

Thanks for the quick answer and the torque value.
I will get it checked up with the dealer.

Sabre

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

Sabrerider wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 am
Thanks for the quick answer and the torque value.
I will get it checked up with the dealer.

Sabre
You're welcome! :beerchug:
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

jcnz

by jcnz

Yes, exact same thing happened with mine after a few months. 2.5 months later, a new seat setup arrived from trek. Couple of rides in and it's still ok.

The dealer mentioned that trek had seen it before but not often....

Glad the frame has a lifetime warranty because it's awesome ...

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Erwin

by Erwin

Same problem here. Is it enough to retighten the isospeed screw to 8Nm or will it be a warranty case?

EDIT: Retighten and Loctite was enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com