Is Tubeless really all its cracked up to be?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I guess that’s right if you have to install a tube anyway, you won’t need to worry about reseating as the tube will do that. But you will be one helluva mess, and have to deal with that now sealant covered tube inside at some point.
And I agree that one should carry all the stuff they might need, and especially know how to use it. But how many people do you run into with a problem, and they have all the stuff because the shop sold it to them upon buying the bike, but they have absolutely no idea how to use it. Test at home? Ha. Welcome to Joe Averages garage.
Anyway, I really have no skin in this game and don’t care what people want to use here, but there certainly are pluses and minuses to the whole thing. So it’s good to be at least aware of both sides. That’s what the internet is for. But the proof is in the real world. The internet doesn’t spray sealant like a fireworks pinwheel all over your kit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

talltales

by talltales

You are assuming the tyre doesn’t unseat itself as it deflates. I agree it shouldn’t do that, but lots of reports floating around pointing to that behaviour in some/many rim tyre combos.
Last edited by talltales on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If that happens, install the tube that you would be carrying anyway. How many times does this need to be said?

Also that is pretty rare. You’re going to notice your slow leak long before a tire unseats even on a troublesome rim like the Roval ones usually mentioned. In the case of a sudden loss of pressure with specific rims, then yes, reach for that tube.

talltales

by talltales

Then tell me what items I should bring for tubeless - Valve core and valve core tool, "bacon strips" and accompanying tool, a tube, tyrelevers, pump? How is that easier/better than bringing a tube, tyrelevers and pump? ;-)

What we need is a proper industry wide TL standard with all the kinks ironed out and everybody onboard. Untill that happens TL is two steps forward and two steps back.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

talltales wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:36 am
Then tell me what items I should bring for tubeless - Valve core, valve core tool, "bacon strips", a tube, tyrelevers, pump? How is that easier/better than bringing a tube, tyrelevers and pump? ;-)

What we need is a proper industry wide TL standard with all the kinks ironed out and everybody onboard. Untill that happens TL is two steps forward and two steps back.
if it seals by itself.... guess who not stopping. :beerchug:

couple weeks ago I was on a group ride with just 5.. 3 on clinchers all flatted.. 2 on tubeless did not. Maybe we got lucky ? I dont know I didn't notice any sealant so I think I got lucky. Luck of the draw.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Methinks everyone needs to increase their MILEAGE.... :up:

**THE END**
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

WinterRider wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 am

**THE END**
yes.. but it's gonna be 100+ tomorrow... dawn patrol
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:47 am

yes.. but it's gonna be 100+ tomorrow... dawn patrol

Don’t remind me.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

talltales wrote:
Then tell me what items I should bring for tubeless - Valve core and valve core tool, "bacon strips" and accompanying tool, a tube, tyrelevers, pump? How is that easier/better than bringing a tube, tyrelevers and pump? ;-)

Same exact tools and spares you would normally carry to change a tube. It's the same thing. Having a plug or bacon strips is a good idea and will fix a lot of flats without need of a tube. Also a small rag is handy for any kit. clean out the tire, wipe your hands, make a tire boot.....
I use a cut valve extender as my plug tool and it fits in the same spot. I also carry tweezers as digging a small piece of wire out of a tire in the rain sucks and makes patching your spare tube a nightmare. I don't want to talk about it :evil: .
dyna plug
dyna plug
You don't need a valve core or valve core tool.

I agree about the standard. There are enough rims and tires to make it feasible and it should only get better. 5 years ago choices were much more limited and implantation was sketchy at best.
Ride fast Take chances

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

talltales wrote:

You seem to be making stuff up as you go along. Why would you need a valve core remover or valve core in your basic tubeless flat kit?

I bring:
DynaPlug Racer. It’s so small it fits in my nylon ride wallet.
Topeak Micro Rocket minipump
One Bontrager light butyl tube (it packs smaller than others and comes wrapped in plastic)
Ritchey bar plug tire levers (only when I’m using non-Hutchinson, non-Mavic UST or non-Zipp tires since those can be put on and taken off by hand.)

I run tubeless clinchers because I don’t want to use my flat kit, not because I can carry a different payload. I don’t even notice most of my punctures and I ride on the glass strewn shoulder of a major state route nearly every day.

Dan112

by Dan112

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:44 am
talltales wrote:
Then tell me what items I should bring for tubeless - Valve core, valve core tool, "bacon strips", a tube, tyrelevers, pump? How is that easier/better than bringing a tube, tyrelevers and pump? ;-)

if it seals by itself.... guess who not stopping. :beerchug:

couple weeks ago I was on a group ride with just 5.. 3 on clinchers all flatted.. 2 on tubeless did not. Maybe we got lucky ? I dont know I didn't notice any sealant so I think I got lucky. Luck of the draw.
I agree it's just luck of the draw for instance in my experience it's been the other way around.
My buddy use to ride with gp4000 and your normal 100g tubes he never flatted on them.

Then brought a tcr that came with the giant gavias (not sure which model but I know they where like 360g a tyre) he suffered 2 punctures on them in the space of 3 weeks of owning the bike which the sealant did work on tbf.

Swapped to the pro1 first ride got another puncture which the pro1 sealant stuff and dynaplug didn't seal and had to use a tube off me.

In that time I've been using the gp4000RS (super skinny tyres) with skinny tubes and been fine. (On the same rides)

It does make me question though if he still rode his old set up a gp4000 standard tyre with a 100g tube would he of had 3 punctures..

It's either very unlucky or the gavias and pro1 are much softer tyres that cut a lot easier.

Yesterday he brought the stans sealant which sealed the hole. The stuff the pro1s come with didn't seal so as Tobin said I think a lot comes down to the sealant used with tubeless.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Schwalbe Doc Blue *is* Stan’s... Unless the guy is using Stan’s Race, which is pretty much the same thing just with more coagulants.

zefs

by zefs

Tubeless tires don't use different tread materials so if you pick a tire with similar puncture protection as before then it's fine. Also people that are getting only a few small punctures per year will probably not need to carry a tube in their kit, I don't for over a year even on long rides but depends where you ride and if it's dry.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:47 am
WinterRider wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 am

**THE END**

Oooops.. wrong one<--------------------------------------------
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

kevinw

by kevinw

For me tubeless is worth it for the ability to run lower pressures without effecting rolling resistance or increasing the risk or a puncture. I have a Ridley Noah that is quite a harsh ride with 120psi in the tyres but at 80-90psi I'm happy to ride it all day long.

I dont really see any significant drawbacks compaired to standard clinchers because if you do puncture (which is less likely) and the sealant doesnt repair it (which it usually does) and you cant fix it with a plug (probably can) then the worst case senario is that you stick a tube in - like you would with a clincher.

Really only comes down to if you can be bothered with the mess and maintainance?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com