Which Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Hi Knowledgable Weenies
Im running a Colnago C60 with Ultegra 6800 groupset. I am looking to upgrade to either Dura Ace 9100 mechanical or preferably SRAM Red etap 22.

Ive been looking at SRAM chainsets and am totally confused as to which BB and chainset i need. Theres GXP, BB30 that ive found yet i thought mine was BB86.

Ive looked at some vids and read stuff but more confused than ever. Would one of you knowledgable people care to enlighten me on which crank and BB i need to look at.

Cheers

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

If you want to run a SRAM 30mm spindle then this is the best option IMO:

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycling ... ets/t4530/

These cups will thread in directly in place of the Threadfit 82.5 cups that come in the Colnago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There’s two things to know.

BB shell type: ThreadFit 82.5. Essentially a threaded shell with internal cups and flanges on either side, increasing total BB width. It is not BB86, but with the right cups, it mimics those dimensions.

Crank spindle type: 24mm Hollowtech II in the case of Shimano. GXP 24/22mm or “BB30” 30mm in the case of SRAM. DUB is an option if going SRAM 12spd Road.

I agree with Bigger Gear. If this all confuses you, then get the simplest solution, aka cups with the bearings already in place. No undersized bearings, reducers or other adapters required.

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Many thanks both, really helpful. Out of interest do you have experience of the Ceramic Speed bearings, any mileage in going for the coated bearings esoecially on a BB.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Foxman50 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 am
Many thanks both, really helpful. Out of interest do you have experience of the Ceramic Speed bearings, any mileage in going for the coated bearings esoecially on a BB.
My recommendation would be to skip the money for the coated and just service the bearings as per CeramicSpeed's recommendations and use their grease.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Foxman50: If you're dead set on going with a 30mm spindle option from SRAM, then yes, go with @Bigger Gear's recommendation of the Ceramic Speed option (for T45). You may want to check out what Wishbone has on offer as well. But since you're asking for recommendations I'd strongly suggest going with Dura Ace 9100 and use the native C60 Threadfit cups (BB86 standard), plus whatever BB86 to Shimano adaptor you prefer. In my opinion 9100 is just a far better groupset all round. You could also ask Bauke Mollema and John Degenkolb (Trek Segafredo) their thoughts as well, which may be a little harsher than mine, but then I'm not forced to ride the stuff, so I've got no skin in the game.

As for the Colnago Threadfit System, it really is BB86, but they've protected the frame shell with the Threadfit alloy cups. You might want to have a look at my thread on the C64, where I talk about the BB in more detail, as it is the same as your C60.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=150143&start=195#p1382894
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Foxman50

by Foxman50

@Calnago not set on BB30 trying to work out which to go for on SRAM setup. Looking on Ceramic Speed website is pretty easy to find though still not sure if GXP or BB30 is best option.

My main reason for SRAM is to get away from wires and like the simplicity of the etap, don’t like the new 12 speed setup though.

I am gravitating towards 9100 so any advice would be really welcome. Always riden Shimano and am a bit of a stick with what you know kinda guy.

Cheers

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Just to add ive read your C64thread back to back, great write up and very informative and helpful.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have been running the Ceramic Speed BB in my V2R since the spring and am surprised at how well it's holding up and spins so easily. I have been caught in the rain a couple times and no nasty sounds or feel coming from them as of yet. Must have good seals as I have not had to service them yet. I have about 5000km on it now and running DA crank.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Thanks BikeBoy, maybe i need to convert this into Dura-Ace 9100 vs SRAM etap 22, or is that going to open up Pandoras box.

Votes please 😀

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Foxman... re the Ceramic Speed option for 30mm spindles, you simply remove the Threadfit cups in your C60 and instead use the Ceramic Speed BB, which treads directly into the alloy sleeve (part of the frame). I’ve never had occasion to use one but have enquired about the bearing size used and they told me their T4530 BB uses the same size bearing as a BB30, a 61806, so no teensy bearings, a good thing.

But I’d still stick with 9100 if I were you. I don’t know why you think a Pandora’s box might be opened. It’s about as easy as it gets to put Shimano 9100 in there. You simply get the BB86 option for Shimano cranks. There’s lots to choose from, from the Shimano BB for under $30 up to the Ceramic Speed option which would run you around $450.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I'm running the DA crank with etap and I have the Absolute Black / Rotor rings on the DA crank so that mixing it up to the max. Seems to be okay shifting wise.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Foxman50

by Foxman50

If going for the Ceramicspeed BB either for SRAM or Shimano, is it simply a case of purchasing a Colnago BB tool, about £25 ive seen, removing the threaded cups complete with the bearings installed and screwing in the Ceramicspeed replacement.

Or do the bearings need to be removed prior to removing the Colnago cups. Again removing the bearings from the Ceramicspeed bearings prior to screwing in the cups.

Im sure im more than capable of completing this, but having not actually seen how this works, so apologies if this is really a simple task.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Since you already have a Shimano crank installed, why not keep using that BB unless its gone bad? If you are dead set on getting a CeramicSpeed BB, I would just use the BB tool to remove the old BB and put the new one on. No reason to punch the bearings from the old cups, especially if there’s nothing wrong with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Thanks TobinHY, thats just what i wanted to hear. Cheers