Which Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Foxman50

by Foxman50

@moonoi would you mind posting a link from another site please. Unfortunately we, in the UK, are restricted from viewing the competitive cyclist website. No idea why this should be but we get redirected to Alpine trek of all places. Thanks

moonoi

by moonoi

Foxman50 wrote:@moonoi would you mind posting a link from another site please. Unfortunately we, in the UK, are restricted from viewing the competitive cyclist website. No idea why this should be but we get redirected to Alpine trek of all places. Thanks
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-du ... 68230.html

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Foxman50

by Foxman50

@moonoi, really appreciate that, so that whole unit would pressfit into the existing Colnago threaded cups

moonoi

by moonoi

Yes, but if you haven't got the proper tools to ensure it goes in straight on each side, suggest letting your LBS do it.

You press each side in separately.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Thanks so much for all your responses. This has been so helpful. Cheers

Foxman50

by Foxman50

I seem to read contradictory comments regards installing grease, or "Morgans Blue Aquaproof paste" as recommended between the colnago thread fit cups and the press fit cups.
Should the press fit be dry or greased, if dry where do you use the "Morgans Blue Aquaproof paste"

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I have my dura ace bb installed with above mentioned paste and it works great, no squeaks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Thanks Ivan, so a small amount of paste between the Colnago threaded cup inner and the Shimano cup outer.

Foxman50

by Foxman50

@calnago would you kindly add your recommendation regards Morgan Blue or dry for press fitting the Shimano bearing cup into the Colnago threaded cups. Appreciate your help as you have an immense amount of experience here.
My 9100 groupset is on order, and have ordered said Morgan Blue and some Park Tool PPL-1 in anticipation but want to do this once n once only so want to get it right. Cheers

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Foxman: If you’re just using the Shimano BB, I’d probably just press it in dry, completely dry. The Colnago cups are alloy and nice and round with good tolerances. The Shimano BB is Delrin (or some composite) so I wouldn’t worry about corrosion. If it makes a peep, then I wouldn’t hesitate to pop it out and use a little retaining compound (Loctite 609) and primer (loctite 7649).
Every install is kind of a case by case basis. I usually measure the bore on several axis with very good vernier calipers then decide what I want to do.
Just make sure the Threadfit cups are tight in the frame. You may be on the verge of overthinking this now. Install it dry, and you should be ok. If you want to use the AquaProof Paste; the place to use it would be a little film between the surface of the Threadfit cups and the outer surface of the Shimano cups.
If you want to wbsolutley sure it doesn’t move then you could use retaining compound and primer inbetween the Shimano BB and the Threadfit cups. But that does make it harder to remove when you have to.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Foxman50

by Foxman50

@Calnago, much appreciated and yes you ar probably right, just like to have all tge bases covered. No doubt, as is usual with this stuff, the theory seems harder than the practical. Cheers

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have now a C64, installed it with a Rotor Aldhu crank with 24mm spindle as I'm riding q rings.
Pressed some PF86 bb of Shimano in the original Colnago thread fit cups.
I don't know why but the crank is turning very poorly.
It was very hard to install the 24mm rotor spindle in the shimano cups.
Seem like the cups are too big for the colnago cups which put to much load on the bearing or is the tolerance of the rotor 24mm spindle too tight?

ms6073

by ms6073

When you inserted the crank spindle into the BB, were you able to press it all the way through by hand or did you have to bang on it with your hand or tool? If the later, then you likely deformed the inner race of the non-drive side bearing. Probably stating the obvious, but I would suspect that the bearing cups are not well aligned.
bruno2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:11 pm
Seem like the cups are too big for the colnago cups which put to much load on the bearing or is the tolerance of the rotor 24mm spindle too tight?
I had a similar observation when I tried to use the Abbey Tools Colnago BB tool to loosen the Colnago Threadfit cups on my C64 and the drift required quite a bit of coaxing to seat the tools splines on the splines of the bearing cups. Also when I first attempted to press-in a BBInfinite BB86, the alloy shell of the BBInfinite cartridge started to deform from the stress. At that point, I opted to use fine grit emory cloth to wet polish a few microns off the lead edge of the BBInfinite cartridge which then allowed me to press the assembly all the way through.
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Ringo

by Ringo

I have a c60 too.
I went for Hope bb and I’m satisfied.
The only downside is that you need to buy a special Hope bb tool.
XXTi
C60

bruno2000

by bruno2000

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm
When you inserted the crank spindle into the BB, were you able to press it all the way through by hand or did you have to bang on it with your hand or tool? If the later, then you likely deformed the inner race of the non-drive side bearing. Probably stating the obvious, but I would suspect that the bearing cups are not well aligned.
bruno2000 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:11 pm
I had a similar observation when I tried to use the Abbey Tools Colnago BB tool to loosen the Colnago Threadfit cups on my C64 and the drift required quite a bit of coaxing to seat the tools splines on the splines of the bearing cups. Also when I first attempted to press-in a BBInfinite BB86, the alloy shell of the BBInfinite cartridge started to deform from the stress. At that point, I opted to use fine grit emory cloth to wet polish a few microns off the lead edge of the BBInfinite cartridge which then allowed me to press the assembly all the way through.
I've checked the Rotor aldhu24mm spindle with a new un-installed shimanp pf bb and it seems the tloerance between the rorot spindle and the shimano bb is too tight.
I also tried the same spindle with a c-bear pf41 bb and an Elvedes pf41 bb and with some force of the hands you can put those bb's on the spindle which was impossible with a shimano bb.
Anyway, I ordered a CS T4530 bb now to use with a Rotor Aldhu+ 30mm crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com