Where to drop weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

just take a dump before a ride, that's like 500g right there and it's free

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

ChiZ01 wrote:just take a dump before a ride, that's like 500g right there and it's free
Comments like these on this forum should get the user banned. You don't have to chip in with lame old lines like these if this kind of thread doesn't interest you.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

what helmet are you using? some lighter ones can save you 100g and doesnt cost that much more than mid ranger.

also how much spares do you carry when you ride, like mini pump vs CO2, lighter/thinner spare tubes etc may be get lighter version of these. may be even carry tyre repair patches instead of full inner tube, or even just one can of vittoria pit stop instead of pump/inner tube/patches. do you bring the whole wallet or just a few ID's + bank cards? also clothing can make quite a a difference.

for the bike itself, i would look at:

things to buy: saddle, skewers, handlebar, bar tape, latex inner tubes, tyres, headset/saddle/rotor/stem bolt in titanium. if any headset spacers are metal, then find lighter ones. depends on estimated mileage, may be a lighter cassette (say SRAM red) and chain (say KMC x11 SL).

things to modify: chop seat post to minimum you need. when im in the drop position, i hold the handle bar quite close to the curve, so if u do the same the flat section of each end can be chopped shorter. chop steerer tube. you will see alot of cyclocross racers only use 3 bolts in the disc rotor, assuming you are not using centerlock rotors. :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Kayrehn wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 am
ChiZ01 wrote:just take a dump before a ride, that's like 500g right there and it's free
Comments like these on this forum should get the user banned. You don't have to chip in with lame old lines like these if this kind of thread doesn't interest you.
Although I partly agree with you, commets like these were laughed over a couple of years ago on this same forum. ChiZ01 could have chosen different wording.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:15 am
what helmet are you using? some lighter ones can save you 100g and doesnt cost that much more than mid ranger.

also how much spares do you carry when you ride, like mini pump vs CO2, lighter/thinner spare tubes etc may be get lighter version of these. may be even carry tyre repair patches instead of full inner tube, or even just one can of vittoria pit stop instead of pump/inner tube/patches. do you bring the whole wallet or just a few ID's + bank cards? also clothing can make quite a a difference.

for the bike itself, i would look at:

things to buy: saddle, skewers, handlebar, bar tape, latex inner tubes, tyres, headset/saddle/rotor/stem bolt in titanium. if any headset spacers are metal, then find lighter ones. depends on estimated mileage, may be a lighter cassette (say SRAM red) and chain (say KMC x11 SL).

things to modify: chop seat post to minimum you need. when im in the drop position, i hold the handle bar quite close to the curve, so if u do the same the flat section of each end can be chopped shorter. chop steerer tube. you will see alot of cyclocross racers only use 3 bolts in the disc rotor, assuming you are not using centerlock rotors. :beerchug:
good feedback

Using a Giro Aeon: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/giro ... et-gir0402 218g
I carry: Topeak micro rocket AL, 1x conti race tube, 1x pedros tire lever. my DL, a $20, a CC, phone.

Things of concern on the bike next:
Would u guys upgrade the OEM SS seatpost to the Hylix 25.4 post from ebay? Not many 25.4 options out there...
Upgrade Antares R5 K:ium rails to Antares R1 Carbon for $130?

Yep, i'm doing all the chopping of steerer and seatpost when i get my fit 100% dialed in. i have about 1.5(!) inches of steerer tube to be cut.
Last edited by skyliner1004 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

Zero7

by Zero7

Kayrehn wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 am
Haha! Banned for that. Someone is wound a little tight

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

Brought the bike into the shop today to shop off 1.5in of steerer tube, and 5-6in of seatpost. Also swapped out the stock "Cannondale C1 Ultralight, 7050 Alloy, Compact) 40cm handlebar + nice, soft, grippy bar tape to 3T Ernova / Ergonova Team Stealth (40cm) + Deda Traforato bar tape.

Current bike weight on park tool scale is 15lb 10oz w/ 2x carbon cages, integrated garmin mount, look keo blade pedals (last gen)
Without these, probably under 15lbs.
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
15lb 15oz

posaunemeister

by posaunemeister

skyliner1004 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:33 pm
Would u guys upgrade the OEM SS seatpost to the Hylix 25.4 post from ebay? Not many 25.4 options out there...
Upgrade Antares R5 K:ium rails to Antares R1 Carbon for $130?
I'd look for a used Antares R1. The pop up from time to time on eBay. I use one and it's very comfortable for my type of riding and flexibility. It's also 168g for the large R1, which is quite lightweight. I also use an Elita One carbon seatpost (31.6mm) at 120g, and it's quite stiff, made of T800. I only paid $22 for it...

Definitely swap out OEM cockpit for lighter carbon gear and resell OEM stuff to recoup some of your expenses.
"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." - Abraham Joshua Heschel

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

just got my 3t carbon handlebars installed and went on a 30 mile ride. Original OEM Stem. Got it installed by head tech at LBS. I'm getting some creaking when putting down the power and swaying side to side on the handlebars. Brought it back and i didn't quite see what the other tech did, but i think he installed some spacer between the top of the headtube and the bottom of the cannondale reducing spacer. Still creaking... what do u guys think?

No creaking when just cruising on the flats.
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
15lb 15oz

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

The bike came stock with a 100mm Stem with a very nice integrated garmin mount.

Anyone have experience upgrading the stem to a lighter one with a garmin mount that actually saves weight and doesn't cost too much? Seems tough, given that i'd now need to add a separate garmin mount...

Today i also came into a new pair of Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti 20nm pedals, took my cousin out to dinner for them.

Came home to install them after haven't checking my old pedals for 10 years and here is the weight on the ones i've had:
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
15lb 15oz

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Lol at least the new ones look nicer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

ChiZ01 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:55 pm
just take a dump before a ride, that's like 500g right there and it's free
Just don't bring any bidons, water weighs about 1kg a liter. You can save a kg or maybe even more if the empty bidons weigh 120g and maybe more if they are 750ml versions then there's probably 50g-100g of bottle cages adn mounting bolts - wasted. In many cases the average rider can save 1.2kg for free!

Bummer about the dehydration though. :lol:

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

intermittent fasting....
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

kafreeman

by kafreeman

SalsaLover wrote:intermittent fasting....
I've dropped almost three disc road bikes with it.... 20 kilo since Feb.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

Ha! well done :thumbup:, however, I fear that's rather closer to two disc brake bikes than three :P .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com