Trip to Greece contemplating bike case

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

I’m lucky enough to have the Chance to go to Greece for work. I am contemplating on taking my bike and worried with the rentals we are getting they may not fit. It’s a different brand but same exact box.

The cars they have which I think we are renting are like the ones I have attached. I’ve never seen any of these vehicles to tell if it would fit along with another couple of duffles.

https://m.probikekit.com/cycling-access ... gJeKPD_BwE
IMG_2818.jpg
Last edited by 07stuntin6r on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

If there's only 2 of you in the car and you fold the rear seats down, you should be able to get a bike bag/case in the back of one of those, except the tiny Suzuki thing, that might be a struggle.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

moonoi wrote:If there's only 2 of you in the car and you fold the rear seats down, you should be able to get a bike bag/case in the back of one of those, except the tiny Suzuki thing, that might be a struggle.

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping and praying for. Hate to be the guy that’s got a bag that won’t fitImage. Almost look like they are the size of a Chevy spark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

moonoi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:42 am
If there's only 2 of you in the car and you fold the rear seats down, you should be able to get a bike bag/case in the back of one of those, except the tiny Suzuki thing, that might be a struggle.

+1

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

"2 bags" "3 bags" That's not very assuring.

If it fits at all, it would probably be leaning diagonal. You also have to budget space for other personal items/bags. I don't think it's worth taking a gamble on such a large case and you should look at something like an Orucase Ninja.

3Pio

by 3Pio

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:08 am
moonoi wrote:If there's only 2 of you in the car and you fold the rear seats down, you should be able to get a bike bag/case in the back of one of those, except the tiny Suzuki thing, that might be a struggle.

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping and praying for. Hate to be the guy that’s got a bag that won’t fitImage. Almost look like they are the size of a Chevy spark

Im using regulary Citroen C3 car (similar size as Punto or Corsa) , and since we travel two, no problems to put my bike in the trunk of the car with the wheel and seatpost removed (and with plenty of other luggage in same time and of course rear seats fold down)... In this case i pack everything Verticaly (wheels in wheels bag, and have soft material blanket where i put around the frame and beeing carefull to dont have any weight or something on Rear DR).

This way we travelled even long distance trips bringing my bike (like 800 km one way, and 800 km back)

When i travel alone, i put bike in the trunk without removing the seatpost, just the wheelset, and i pack everything horizontaly.... So With just a little organization u'll do it..

This is aproximetaly how i packed few days ago (but travelling alone, so a bit easier and faster to to do it)....So get some soft material blanket or something to be able to protect the frame while u putting in the trunk, and use creativity.. U can do it :)

schlafen

by schlafen

I think he means he will fly to Greece, in which case he will need a hard bike case for transport.
I tried to fit one in a Ford Focus mk2 and it only fit on the back seat.

The cars pictured are very small compared to a mk2 Focus.

Consider the height of the case as well, as that will be the biggest issue. Lenght wise it will fit in most booth/back seat combos.

Worst case take a cab. Enterprise delivers cars wherever you need them as well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted pictures quoted from immediately preceding post. Thanks, PP

3Pio

by 3Pio

Not as secure as Hard Bike Case, but easier sometimes, using just a bike card box (easy sourced from local bike shop), and put the frame there protected with styro foam on the tubes (exactly like bikes actually coming to LBS).. For even more protection, card box can be wrapped with protective foam on almost every airport for cheap money (thats how i packed my Colnago when i was travelling from Treviso airport)

Card box can be trown as soon as the bike is packed in the car (or just put the whole card box and bike inside without wheels in the car) styro foam protection on the frame tubes will protect even more (without needing a soft blanket) and used again on the way back.. In this Citroen there was enough space for whole card box in the trunk...

If the original card box is trown New card box can be easely sourced again from Greek LBS for returning back, or just keeped old one (but in shape taking very little space, and put it back in protective way just before the flyght and packing the bike inside...
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Again, deleted pictures quoted from immediately preceding post. Thanks, PP

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Correct I will be flying to Greece from . I wanna say a carboard bike box would be bigger than my case.

Last edited by Powerful Pete on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Again, AGAIN, deleted pictures quoted from immediately preceding post. Thanks, PP

dfischer1

by dfischer1

An Orucase would fit easily with room to spare for your other bags.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

dfischer1 wrote:An Orucase would fit easily with room to spare for your other bags.
I leave in two days I don’t have time or would want to spend another 400 on a case.

schlafen

by schlafen

07stuntin6r wrote:
dfischer1 wrote:An Orucase would fit easily with room to spare for your other bags.
I leave in two days I don’t have time or would want to spend another 400 on a case.

Cardboard bike box would be your best/cheapest option then.
Pack the bike with lots of bubble wrap, tape the box and chop off the corners at the end to reduce size, use more tape.
I assume you will find another box at a lbs in Greece when returning to the US.

I did that once and it worked, however, it does not guarantee that it will fit in the rental car.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tabl10s

by tabl10s

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 am
I work at the local airport and the Thule hard-shell seems to be popular@$649.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

tabl10s wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 am
I work at the local airport and the Thule hard-shell seems to be popular@$649.
Local airport in Greece? Which one?