Another Ineos/Sky Pinarello breaks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lugan

by Lugan

Is my memory exaggerating this, or do Pinarellos break frequently when raced by this team over several years and different F models? Here is today's instance: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint ... ash-video/

3Pio

by 3Pio

Lugan wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:42 pm
Is my memory exaggerating this, or do Pinarellos break frequently when raced by this team over several years and different F models? Here is today's instance: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint ... ash-video/

Maybe they should switch to Chinese Copies? Statistics shows that they are more robust then originals. :)
Last edited by 3Pio on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yes,
Each time it happen, they are on X-light varient (85 kg weight limit). F8 X-light, F10 X-light and now F12 X-light.
X-light probably have just enough material to withstand normal pedalling load but have little chance of surviving any crash.

I probably will never ever buy an X-light varient as a normal consumer that have to pay for the frame. I care too little to handle the bike gently.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Lugan wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:42 pm
Carbon bends like steel or breaks? do not break those of other brands? in this Tour did not break a Specialized from the Deceunink? http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... n-epernay/

how many can be broken in the falls of the Tour......and we do not know about them, because there is not a camera nearby............

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Isn't it 2 broken bikes for QuickStep so far in this Tour? Asgreen's bike but Viviani also looked to have broken one a few days ago although much less catastrophically.

Not sure what happened and the same might have very well happened to most high end carbon bikes, but Mike Woods went down, Moscon (?) crashed into him, Geraint 'geraints' and looks like he lands on Moscon's bike, breaking it....

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

i read somewhere that the bike was fine initially but it ended up getting run over, and that is the 'destroyed' picture we have all seen

I cannot verify this though, "I read it on the intrawebz"

RussellS

by RussellS

Too many unknown variables in crashes to praise or denigrate a frame if it survives or fails in a crash. I suspect if you hit a frame at just the right angle and with just enough force, it will break and shatter. But if you hit it 99 other ways, it will be fine and nothing will happen. An analogy might be killing people with bullets. Two headlines: "Man shot with itty bitty tiny little .22 short pistol and DIES." "Man shot with big huge massive powerful .458 Winchester Magnum rifle and LIVES." Both statements can be true. But you probably should not judge the two calibers based only on these statements. Just like you probably can't judge a frame completely if it breaks in a crash.

guyc

by guyc

It appears that Thomas landed on the frame. Most would have broken in those circumstances. They’re not designed to take that sort of lateral impact.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I'm sure LW wheels are to blame for ;)
Watching video footage it doesn't look like the crash itself caused captured frame damage. Being in couple serious accidents on carbon frames I cannot imagine that the frame can split in half just like that.
Where the red Skoda is passing through the crash spot there is a distinctive sound like it goes ofer something crashing it. Frame?
Nevertheless good advert for Pinarello :)

Ritxis

by Ritxis

1415chris wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:29 pm
I'm sure LW wheels are to blame for ;)
Watching video footage it doesn't look like the crash itself caused captured frame damage. Being in couple serious accidents on carbon frames I cannot imagine that the frame can split in half just like that.
Where the red Skoda is passing through the crash spot there is a distinctive sound like it goes ofer something crashing it. Frame?
Nevertheless good advert for Pinarello :)
Tom Danielson bike years ago
tom-danielson-broken-cervelo-r5ca-tour-de-france-stage-6.jpg

1415chris

by 1415chris

If it was just a "normal" crash, maybe it is due to the pros who don't give a dam s..it about their equipment unlike us, mortals paying hard earned money for our equipment putting our bodies first to protect our babies :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1415chris wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:29 pm

It’s not entirely uncommon for frames to snap in half. If one tube on the main triangle fails, it’s very likely for a second to fail.

This was from the masters 123 crit at the Cascade Classic. Last lap jockeying for position, probably 30mph or so.

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:47 pm
Not sure what happened and the same might have very well happened to most high end carbon bikes, but Mike Woods went down, Moscon (?) crashed into him, Geraint 'geraints' and looks like he lands on Moscon's bike, breaking it....

This seems like the most likely answer. Not only did Geraint bodyslam Moscon’s bike, but the front end was also propped up on Mike Woods’s back in that moment while the rear wheel was on the ground. Probably a couple hundred Gs worth of impact force from Thomas’s bony hip on the main triangle.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

eric01

by eric01

Today’s bikes are optimized for pedaling and riding forces. Any sheet of carbon that doesn’t support normal riding is optimized away in the name of weight savings.

Bikes simply aren’t engineered for crashing. Not surprised at all that we see broken frames and parts especially at the pro levels where speeds and stakes are high.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eric01 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:24 am
Today’s bikes are optimized for pedaling and riding forces. Any sheet of carbon that doesn’t support normal riding is optimized away in the name of weight savings.

Bikes simply aren’t engineered for crashing. Not surprised at all that we see broken frames and parts especially at the pro levels where speeds and stakes are high.

If Dan Gerous’s forensic analysis is correct, no steel, alumnimum alloy or other carbon frame would have survived that sequence of events. The bike was propped up over two solid objects, the ground and Woods. Geraint pretty much crashed himself through the frame perpendicularly.

I don’t know exactly what happened to the Madone I linked...I was on the other side of the circuit when it happened, but the rider was more or less uninjured. Likely a similar story.

Wookski

by Wookski

Carbon frames can snap when exposed to impact forces they are not designed to withstand. This isn’t controversial and one of the benefits of riding carbon frames (crash = new frame) :lol: Just make sure you have new for old insurance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com