Ready to ride weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Love seeing all these sub 6kg bike but have you guys actually weighed your bikes just before you step out of the door?

My C60 is 8.4kg!! and thats still NOT a 'ready to ride' weight, don't have water in my bottles

Actually I'm just researching how to reduce its weight further so its easier on the long climbs.

My specs so far:
Colnago C60 48S frame+fork
Deda Superleggera 90mm stem
Deda 40cm Superzero handlebar
R8000 groupset minus crankset
Quarq Dfour91 powermeter 170mm
R9100 50/34 chainrings
Fizik Antares R3 Kium
Looks Keo pedal (non carbon)
Bora One 35 clinchers
Continental GP4000 25mm & continental inner tubes
2x Vico Carbon cages
2x Rapha large bottles
Wahoo Elment & mount
1x rear red reflector (required here unless I want a $50 ticket)
See Sense rear light
Cycliq front camera & mount

Total 8.4kg

Thought about replacing the following:

R8000---> old 2015 Chorus groupset......save 200g, cost=0
Quarq & Looks Keo pedal--->Assioma Duo....save 50g-100g, $750
Antares--->Berks Lupina.....save 100g, $290
Deda handlebar----> no idea yet
Continental GP4000 25mm & continental inner tubes-----> GP5000 & Aircomp lightweight butyl.........save 50-90g?? $100+
Cycliq--->gopro 7, but battery sucks I believe

thoughts?

robertbb

by robertbb

Ready to ride weight is a slippery slope. You wouldn't ride without your knicks, right?... how much water do you need? Is it illegal to ride without a helmet in your country (it is in Australia...) - hey, better include that.

I'd even go so far as to say bike weight comparisons shouldn't include pedals. Because if they should, then one should include the weight of cleats... (speedplay titanium pedals are light, but the cleats weigh a bomb compared to Look Keo's). Pretty close to offsetting one another.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

robertbb wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:26 am
Ready to ride weight is a slippery slope. You wouldn't ride without your knicks, right?... how much water do you need? Is it illegal to ride without a helmet in your country (it is in Australia...) - hey, better include that.

I'd even go so far as to say bike weight comparisons shouldn't include pedals. Because if they should, then one should include the weight of cleats... (speedplay titanium pedals are light, but the cleats weigh a bomb compared to Look Keo's). Pretty close to offsetting one another.
Yes true I guess, too many external factors such as country regulations and personal 'needs'

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Maybe your bike is still not fully ready, as I don't see you mentioning a spare tube, a multifunction tool and so forth, that also requires a saddle bag.

hannawald

by hannawald

Over 8 kg for a rim brake bike is indeed quite heavy, but if you need front camera and other stuff..
Just make a list for yourself with current weights and you will see, how much you can gain..

Broady

by Broady

Don't have any dinner the night before a ride, easy 1kg saved.

robeambro

by robeambro

I agree with previous posts - you really don't want to worry about this. Or at least, do it with conscience.

Lights - is it really ok to ask which is the lighter, or should you pick based on how well it works for you.
Spares - is it really ok to go for light, or should you maximise your ability to face every (common) problem on the road?

If any of these additional components on the bike is functionally great AND light, then all the better, but not for one second I'd compromise my safety and/or my flexibility (in terms of facing issues) just to be lighter.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Getting you bike as light as possible is fun and posting a weight without pedals makes it feel like your bike is competitive. In the real world, I won’t ride without a spares kit, tools, pump, gps and lights front/rear. Getting this real weight down is more important, as that's how you ride the bike. Water bottles should not be included.
Weight of you kit is also a factor and I do everything possible to minimize it without compromising function.
MetroFlash Ignita USB is my favorite front be seen light.

My 61cm Roubaix is 9.3kg ready to ride.
Attachments
Mt D Summit
Mt D Summit
Ride fast Take chances

by 573

I ride mine as weighed other than snapping the Garmin 520 into the mount and putting a bidon in the cage.

Tools, tubes etc don't belong on the bike, it's what your jersey pockets are for. I have a small Rapha pouch that goes in the centre pocket, that has iPhone, small mutitool, spare chain link, bank card for coffee or emergency Uber, ID incase a truck runs me over, valve tool, rubberised superglue in small tube and a small Stan's sealant. Left pocket has a small carbonfibre pump in it, about 60g. Right pocket has gels and snacks if I'm heading out more than 2 hours.

AJS914

by AJS914

Boshk wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am
Thought about replacing the following:

R8000---> old 2015 Chorus groupset......save 200g, cost=0
Quarq & Looks Keo pedal--->Assioma Duo....save 50g-100g, $750
Antares--->Berks Lupina.....save 100g, $290
Deda handlebar----> no idea yet
Continental GP4000 25mm & continental inner tubes-----> GP5000 & Aircomp lightweight butyl.........save 50-90g?? $100+
Cycliq--->gopro 7, but battery sucks I believe

thoughts?

$1000 to save 500 grams - only you can decide if it's worth it. But you should definitely ride Campagnolo. :-)

Here is an exercise you can do - put your 500g saved into a calculator and see how much faster you'll be up your favorite hill.

https://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesL ... _Page.html

I can tell you that unfortunately, it's going to be a pittiful handful of seconds. I plugged in 10kg over 1 mile (1600 meters) and only came up with 16 seconds of savings. I know this is weight weenies but weight just doesn't make that much difference.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

$1000 for 500g savings is massive. People drop more than that for a THM Clavicula crankset to save 60g over a sram red crankset.

You might not be much faster, but you'll feel better, and that's valuable too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I measure the actual riding weight, and the “bought from the store” weight.

Ready to ride is with Everything i have on a typical ride (not my endeuro ride gear though). Garmin/mount, empty water bottles, rear radar, pedals.

But i then calculate the weight “naked bought from store” with zero acessories, pedals, mounts, etc. That lets me compare to the latest new 10k$ Superbike.

Right now my bike is about 5.5kg naked, and a bit over 6kg ready to ride. Both are with deep 56mm clinchers.

TonyM

by TonyM

Alexbn921 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 pm
Getting you bike as light as possible is fun and posting a weight without pedals makes it feel like your bike is competitive. In the real world, I won’t ride without a spares kit, tools, pump, gps and lights front/rear. Getting this real weight down is more important, as that's how you ride the bike. Water bottles should not be included.
Weight of you kit is also a factor and I do everything possible to minimize it without compromising function.
MetroFlash Ignita USB is my favorite front be seen light.

My 61cm Roubaix is 9.3kg ready to ride.
Which DT Swiss wheels do you have on your bike?
And which tires do you use?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT 47 with Gp5000 LT 28mm tires. I took off the white decals last night so I can replace them with gold ones. Had to make a PNG file so the local shop can cut them for me. Still deciding if I want to just replace the white one or strip all the decals and do 3 DT decals.
dt-swiss-logo.png
Ride fast Take chances

TonyM

by TonyM

Alexbn921 wrote:DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT 47 with Gp5000 LT 28mm tires. I took off the white decals last night so I can replace them with gold ones. Had to make a PNG file so the local shop can cut them for me. Still deciding if I want to just replace the white one or strip all the decals and do 3 DT decals.
dt-swiss-logo.png
How do you take off the white decals?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com