Ready to ride weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

They are water slide decals, which are basically permanent. First I tried scraping with a plastic tool combined with vinegar/hot water rag. No luck. Next was 99% alcohol, which worked slowly, but was not enough. Next I taped off the area and used acetone. I tested it on a small section and it lifted the decal off with no damage to the rim. Gloves, a well vented garage and a rag with acetone quickly separated the decals from the rim. I cleaned up with 99% alcohol and the rims are ready for the new decals.

Not fun and huge pain to remove versus regular stickers. The things we do to color match.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Wow quite the job!

Go gold like the olympics!

Boshk

by Boshk

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:21 pm
Boshk wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am
Thought about replacing the following:

R8000---> old 2015 Chorus groupset......save 200g, cost=0
Quarq & Looks Keo pedal--->Assioma Duo....save 50g-100g, $750
Antares--->Berks Lupina.....save 100g, $290
Deda handlebar----> no idea yet
Continental GP4000 25mm & continental inner tubes-----> GP5000 & Aircomp lightweight butyl.........save 50-90g?? $100+
Cycliq--->gopro 7, but battery sucks I believe

thoughts?

$1000 to save 500 grams - only you can decide if it's worth it. But you should definitely ride Campagnolo. :-)

Here is an exercise you can do - put your 500g saved into a calculator and see how much faster you'll be up your favorite hill.

https://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesL ... _Page.html

I can tell you that unfortunately, it's going to be a pittiful handful of seconds. I plugged in 10kg over 1 mile (1600 meters) and only came up with 16 seconds of savings. I know this is weight weenies but weight just doesn't make that much difference.
:mrgreen: thanks mate, I tried it for a 500g saving over 5% long hill climb of 15km......I save 20secs. Maybe I'll put more effort into training than shopping.

The 12 speed SR does look fantastic though

robertbb

by robertbb

573 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm
I ride mine as weighed other than snapping the Garmin 520 into the mount and putting a bidon in the cage.

Tools, tubes etc don't belong on the bike, it's what your jersey pockets are for. I have a small Rapha pouch that goes in the centre pocket, that has iPhone, small mutitool, spare chain link, bank card for coffee or emergency Uber, ID incase a truck runs me over, valve tool, rubberised superglue in small tube and a small Stan's sealant. Left pocket has a small carbonfibre pump in it, about 60g. Right pocket has gels and snacks if I'm heading out more than 2 hours.
Don't ride with a pump in your pocket dude... you'll break your spine if you crash and land on it the wrong way. It has happened.

Gary71

by Gary71

robertbb wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am
573 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm
I ride mine as weighed other than snapping the Garmin 520 into the mount and putting a bidon in the cage.

Tools, tubes etc don't belong on the bike, it's what your jersey pockets are for. I have a small Rapha pouch that goes in the centre pocket, that has iPhone, small mutitool, spare chain link, bank card for coffee or emergency Uber, ID incase a truck runs me over, valve tool, rubberised superglue in small tube and a small Stan's sealant. Left pocket has a small carbonfibre pump in it, about 60g. Right pocket has gels and snacks if I'm heading out more than 2 hours.
Don't ride with a pump in your pocket dude... you'll break your spine if you crash and land on it the wrong way. It has happened.
I did that yesterday - pump in the middle pocket. Sound advice. Thanks. :thumbup:

hannawald

by hannawald

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:43 pm
DT Swiss ERC 1100 DICUT 47 with Gp5000 LT 28mm tires. I took off the white decals last night so I can replace them with gold ones. Had to make a PNG file so the local shop can cut them for me. Still deciding if I want to just replace the white one or strip all the decals and do 3 DT decals.
dt-swiss-logo.png
I would do just the white one. You can add more later, but i think it will be nicer with just one shining sticker..and it will add some grams:)

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I ride with a camelbak for water, and for longer rides I also carry tools, food, and a spare tub in my back pocket. For short rides I just take water and my phone.

The only thing I don’t weigh my bike with is the Garmin and mount. So 6.05kg minus Garmin/mount, and 6.11kg ready to ride.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by 573

robertbb wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am
Thanks for the advice, but evaluating it I'd say the phone in my pocket is more likely to cause me damage. The one I use is a small carbon thing. It's 55g and likely to just crush if I landed on it.

It's the older version of this:

For something so small it works incredibly well too, plus I've had it for about 15 years so it's been great value.