New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Mikedb

by Mikedb

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:02 am
Those are my actually cranks and I have had no issue with them my L/R matches other power meters I have tried and I make sure the cranks are in the correct position while calibrating. :wink:
680 not 700. :beerchug:
I actually had someone local trying to sell these to me.

Can you pm me or post a link to your cranks.

by Weenie

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Visqu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:38 am
Anyway, obviously not all units exhibit a systematic error and function perfectly well.
I'd be happy to get a set that doen't have this offset, oh and no drop outs either, please.

My total power, btw, matches that reported by my other cranks.
Actually you don't really know if itš the Sworks which is wrong or the other PMs you have, especially if those are spider based, since for all these PM types, the L/R balance is estimated at best.
As long as the power matches, you should be fine, and I've yet to see an actionable training insight for healthy individuals just from the L/R power balance.

Dropouts are not acceptable, though.

icantaffordcycling, could you comment, what was the major failure point from improper installation which the warrantied Sworks cranks came back with?
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Not tightening the battery bolt covers all the way down allowed water ingress on two sets. If the seal on the battery covers are damaged at all make sure to replace the battery cover. The other set had the aluminum spindle scored deeply by the bearings because of not applying Loctite/torquing down the preload assembly correctly. Realistically that preload assembly sucks and alternatives such as spacers + wavey washer or the cane creek preload adjuster is a better solution.
The last set had the entire power meter assembly fall off from a heavy impact (rock strike?!?) on the nds crank arm.

For a shop that doesn't have a lot of traffic on high-end parts that was a huge percentage of crank that came back for warranty claims.

@Visqu I was simply saying that I don't have that issue on my pair.

Visqu

by Visqu

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:12 am
Visqu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:38 am
Anyway, obviously not all units exhibit a systematic error and function perfectly well.
I'd be happy to get a set that doen't have this offset, oh and no drop outs either, please.

My total power, btw, matches that reported by my other cranks.
Actually you don't really know if itš the Sworks which is wrong or the other PMs you have, especially if those are spider based, since for all these PM types, the L/R balance is estimated at best.
As long as the power matches, you should be fine, and I've yet to see an actionable training insight for healthy individuals just from the L/R power balance.
Yes, this would normally be the case but time spent on a Shimano fitting bike show near perfect power balance.

I disagree on your point about balance and healthy individuals. Well, actually agree as long as the individual remains constantly heatlhy.
Point being that if you start seeing drift in your balance, you might catch a growing injury on time to take corrective action.

And anyway, having skewed balance readings pretty much puts into question all other useful training metrics such as torque effectiveness and pedal smoothness.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Visus wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 am
Visqu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:59 am
I have the Power Cranks. Nice cranks, nothing wrong with that.

But the power meter side has issues, inconsistent values between L/R and some drop-offs.
No matter how I calibrate, my power balance is skewed to the right about 4-5%. On other PMs I'm getting nice balanced output +-1%.

Contacted Specialized about this, let's see what they say.

Also, the chainring choice restricting pod isn't really a good design point.
Mine has the same "issue" (L reading 4-5% lower than R). Always thought I was a bit imbalanced but now questioning that. Other Powermeters give me max 2% difference but they haven't got separated sensors.

Could you update us what specialized said?

And does anyone know a quick way how to test them? If one of the is reading low I guess i could run them against my trainer and see if the readings differ. Though maybe that one is off too :roll:
Lucky you.
Mine is usually reading 37%L/63%R. :shock:

Did you guys end up having any success confronting specialized about a replacement?

Visqu

by Visqu

scapewalker wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:53 am

Did you guys end up having any success confronting specialized about a replacement?
No reply yet, but I only posted my claim yesterday :)

Rob61

by Rob61

Visqu wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm
scapewalker wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:53 am

No reply yet, but I only posted my claim yesterday :)
I’am very curious what Specialized will say. Because I have the same issue with my Venge which I bought last year. On my Garmin pm’s (pods) I have this problem not, between L/R 52-48, 50-50. With the 4iiii S-Works L/R between 56-44, 53-47.

demoCRIT

by demoCRIT

what if you pedal with 1 leg?
Is L/R showing true data?
From what i have seen so far very few PM can do that

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Today could be the day.
The new Roval wheels will be announced and the mirror saddle is already on the website since yesterday which has been seen on the sl7.

joesch

by joesch

Rob61 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 pm
I’am very curious what Specialized will say. Because I have the same issue with my Venge which I bought last year. On my Garmin pm’s (pods) I have this problem not, between L/R 52-48, 50-50. With the 4iiii S-Works L/R between 56-44, 53-47.
Wow. I always thought it was down to my legs after a bad crash two years ago...
I use the S-Works PM for about 2.5 years with a more or less constant imbalance of L45-R55. I also use a Stages LR which is almost always close to a L50-R50 distribution; given the engineering challenges when trying to measure power output at Shimano right crackarms, I was mostly critical of the Stages (which by the way shows total values about 5% lower than the Specialized as tested on a Tacx Neo).

Unfortunately, none offers an option to offset the discrepancy in readings which leads to issues with post-ride analyses and time spent in training zones.
Reading your feedback opens up yet another thread...

scapewalker

by scapewalker

joesch wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:13 am
Rob61 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 pm
Wow. I always thought it was down to my legs after a bad crash two years ago...
I use the S-Works PM for about 2.5 years with a more or less constant imbalance of L45-R55. I also use a Stages LR which is almost always close to a L50-R50 distribution; given the engineering challenges when trying to measure power output at Shimano right crackarms, I was mostly critical of the Stages (which by the way shows total values about 5% lower than the Specialized as tested on a Tacx Neo).

Unfortunately, none offers an option to offset the discrepancy in readings which leads to issues with post-ride analyses and time spent in training zones.
Reading your feedback opens up yet another thread...
Interesting you brought up a Neo as your reference point.
I did the same thing with my Neo2 and Assiomas.
Turns out my S-Works PM reads 10-25w higher than the Taxc and Assiomas depending on the gearing and resistance.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Don't really have any issues with mine - consistent with the trainer, and L/R balance is 51/49 which is the same as what I get on a wattbike. If you check DCrainmaker - he also had no issues with Sworks power cranks when testing.
All that said:
- do make sure you perform the zero offset as per instructions with the app. First time I rode on these (out of the shop), the power they were showing was way too high, but after the offset has normalised
- more generally, 4iii do seem to have quality control issues, as there are enough stories of inconsistent or malfunctioning units out there, whether they are installed on the sworks cranks or sold under their own brand.

captainolek

by captainolek

scapewalker wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:15 am
Today could be the day.
The new Roval wheels will be announced and the mirror saddle is already on the website since yesterday which has been seen on the sl7.
The new Rovals have been announced but no sign of the SL7 :(

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

captainolek wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:50 pm
Not tubeless! With this logic, The SL7 will be incompatible with electronic shifting.

by Weenie

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:52 pm
captainolek wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:50 pm
Not tubeless! With this logic, The SL7 will be incompatible with electronic shifting.
SL8 already confirmed to be a penny farthing.
Cervélo S5 Disc (2019) - 7.6kg
Open Cycles WI.DE (2019) - 8.4kg
Specialized Shiv TT Disc (2020) - 7.5kg
Specialized SW Roubaix Team (2020) - 7.5kg