New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ryanw

by ryanw

mrlobber wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:25 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:00 am
Specialized went BSA on the Roubaix, Diverge and entry level Tarmacs already. Why wouldn't you think it's BSA?

Not that I think BSA is the right answer. They should have made the leap to T47, especially with the Diverge.
Wait, wouldn't BSA mean you can't use Specialized's own Sworks cranks on the new bike? A weird decision then, although understandable from the "simplify the BB range" standpoint.
A revelation if you ask me. The S-Works cranks are an awful design and the 4iii PM's are just as crap.

I would be VERY surprised if the frame has deviated away from BB30, so you should be able to use any BB / cranks.

From the pic I would assume that it's a WMFG BB30/24 adapter.

ajcav86

by ajcav86

It does seem manufactures have finally seen the light with threaded BBs, aero and light weight along with wide tyres as well frames and wheels designed purely for Disc so no compromise... if you did want just one plastic bike instead of a separate aero and climbing bike the new SL7 or Emonda look great bets and should give the Dogma a good run for its money... as well as costing less 🤣
Perdita- Burls Ti Road
Aurelia- Saffron Stainless/Carbon Gravel
Bertha - Trek Speedconcept
Jolene - Over kill winter bike

by Weenie

mrlobber

by mrlobber

ryanw wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am
A revelation if you ask me. The S-Works cranks are an awful design and the 4iii PM's are just as crap.

I would be VERY surprised if the frame has deviated away from BB30, so you should be able to use any BB / cranks.

What's bad with the design, except the BB30-only compatibility?
THe powermeter has worked equally reliable for me.

n=1, of course.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

ichobi

by ichobi

ajcav86 wrote:It does seem manufactures have finally seen the light with threaded BBs, aero and light weight along with wide tyres as well frames and wheels designed purely for Disc so no compromise... if you did want just one plastic bike instead of a separate aero and climbing bike the new SL7 or Emonda look great bets and should give the Dogma a good run for its money... as well as costing less Image
Nah Dogma F12 disc is way behind the rest in terms of weight.

ryanw

by ryanw

mrlobber wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:44 am
ryanw wrote:

n=1, of course.
The preload ring with the 3 grub screws is archaic and doesn't help protect the bearings at all, and all the PM's I've had in are tripe and inconsistent. Lots of faults.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

mrlobber wrote:
Wait, wouldn't BSA mean you can't use Specialized's own Sworks cranks on the new bike? A weird decision then, although understandable from the "simplify the BB range" standpoint.
Might not matter for the S-works crank either way. With SRAM already demanding complete OE spec unity on AXS equipped bikes the number of bikes they can put them on drops sharply. If Shimano go the same way with trick chainrings on new DA and demand their own cranks as a condition of OE sale then the market for S-Works cranks has basically vanished anyway.

bespoke

by bespoke

I believe they are binning their own carbon crank
If you look in the pic it looks like a PM on non driveside arm
I wonder if its the 4iii design they currently have or something new

Ps given how much they have hyped the new 2Bliss tyres I am surprised it does not have them
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

ryanw wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am
mrlobber wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:44 am
ryanw wrote:

n=1, of course.
The preload ring with the 3 grub screws is archaic and doesn't help protect the bearings at all, and all the PM's I've had in are tripe and inconsistent. Lots of faults.
Works great for me as well. Also an exceptionally light and stiff crankset. 4iii has issues, mainly with the asymmetric cranksets like Dura Ace, but also it's true that there are faulty units out there. But when it works - it works.

Also, it's not like Dura Ace has no issues with the power meter. And don't get me going on the SRAMs integrated diaposable PMs. Tradeoffs everywhere.

ichobi

by ichobi

Given the amount of work they supposedly put in for the custom 4iiii pm am surprised they abandon both the crank and pm so quickly. Spe carbon cranks are actually really good in terms of look, weight and stiffness. May be its the groupset oem condition that they would rather adhere to to get favorable stock pricing for speccing the whole groups instead of partial?

Visqu

by Visqu

So, about those pedals, they're not R9100.
Plenty deviations in molded details of the composite body.

What are they, anyone recognize or care to take a guess?
Large enough to house power meters?

guyc

by guyc

The look like the older 9000 pedals from the white logo on the side.

Visqu

by Visqu

guyc wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 pm
The look like the older 9000 pedals from the white logo on the side.
Yeah, you're correct, the body shape matches nicely as well.

I almost got excited :)

cerro

by cerro

ryanw wrote:
mrlobber wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:00 am
Specialized went BSA on the Roubaix, Diverge and entry level Tarmacs already. Why wouldn't you think it's BSA?

Not that I think BSA is the right answer. They should have made the leap to T47, especially with the Diverge.

Take a look at Roubaix, Epic, Stumpjumper, Enduro, cheaper Tarmac, new Diverge. Specialized is going back to BSA as that's what the consumers want so without knowing about the new Tarmac it will come with BSA.
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

ryanw

by ryanw

Not a single SL6 Tarmac comes with a BSA BB, or the Roubaix for that matter.

by Weenie

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

ryanw wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:01 pm
Not a single SL6 Tarmac comes with a BSA BB, or the Roubaix for that matter.
Add?
New Roubaix uses BSA. BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM DUB BSA 68
All new bikes designs are using BSA. It's the future and the past.