New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Miles253

by Miles253

I can attest, Dove Grey is like a pearlescent light grey. My Venge is that colour.
Specialized S-Works Venge | in progress
Rose Backroad | 9kg
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.5kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

by Weenie

moonoi

by moonoi

ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 pm
Just about to go and pay a deposit for this colour at my LBS, now that they confirmed they can get it in rimbrake for me 8)

Have to wait until Dec/Jan for it to arrive though

Jugi

by Jugi

So, a rim brake variant still exists in multiple colorways for MY2020 Tarmac, a customer just has to ask for it as it isn't really advertised?

Is this a play for exclusivity from Specialized?

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

Similar to the team Roubaix frame, the rim brake s-works tarmac is not a consumer-facing product. You have to go to an LBS to get one. Not sure if the team Roubaix is even on the B2B site or if you have to call your rep to get one ordered. Weird stuff but this type of consumer values the exclusivity.
Specialized Allez Sprint
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right.

cerro

by cerro

The Roubaix team is on b2b here in Sweden at least. And have one at work I'm longing for ;)
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

hogehoge

by hogehoge

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 pm
Similar to the team Roubaix frame, the rim brake s-works tarmac is not a consumer-facing product. You have to go to an LBS to get one. Not sure if the team Roubaix is even on the B2B site or if you have to call your rep to get one ordered. Weird stuff but this type of consumer values the exclusivity.
Rim brake S-Works Tarmac is still avaliable online in Japan:
https://www.specialized.com/jp/en/shop/ ... esult-list
https://www.specialized-onlinestore.jp/ ... 0619-0052/

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

I was talking about how it works in the US. The Roubaix team frame is also shown on the JP site but it is not a consumer-facing product in the United States.
Specialized Allez Sprint
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right.

moonoi

by moonoi

I'm in Asia, I was told this is the last model year that will be available in rim brake, presumably because a new Tarmac is on the way next year?

ichobi

by ichobi

No surprise. S is pretty clear about abandoning rim brake going forward. Most of their main road lines are now disc only.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's kind of painful to see the industry has pushed disc brakes so hard, they now see no reason to design two platforms (disc + rim).
Or to be clear, it would cost too much to develop with the uncertainty that the rim brake versions would simply sell to bad :-(

This ofcourse also has an effect on the wheelset development, which i guess, if from now and on, dead in the water?

I wonder how it'll turn out talking rim brake groupsets !?

In a few years, premium rim brake framesets will probably be custom builders forte
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

ichobi

by ichobi

SRAM is already intentionnaly push the sell of their rim brake AXS group as late as possible. (many months after the disc version was available), and even now it's probably still very hard to find a rim brake red AXS. You can see where this is going. I doubt Shimano will do the same though.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Rimbrake red AXS is readily available here in asia.

Miles253

by Miles253

ichobi wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:20 am
SRAM is already intentionnaly push the sell of their rim brake AXS group as late as possible. (many months after the disc version was available), and even now it's probably still very hard to find a rim brake red AXS. You can see where this is going. I doubt Shimano will do the same though.
Presumably, Shimano couldn't afford to do the same as they cater to a much broader range of the market from low to high. Rims should, therefore, be available for a good while!
Specialized S-Works Venge | in progress
Rose Backroad | 9kg
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.5kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Well, the discs havent stopped Allaphillppe and the Bora sprinters from winning this year. Specialized is ALL in on this.

I wonder what Durian rider has to say now. The dude is very vocal about not liking discs for road

Personally I'm fine with rim brakes, but I cant stop the industry. I don't have alpine climbs in my backyard, more like rolling hills

by Weenie

ichobi

by ichobi

Durianrider has exactly a credibility score of zero.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk