New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

Whilst we can all see the logic in merging Venge and Tarmac into one bike I suspect that the sales from either are sufficient for it to make economic sense for Spesh not to do that, diluting sales would be a concern.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

hawkinssmythe wrote:I’ve just bought the new supersix evo and it is absolutely amazing and sooo fast. I think the tsrmac either current or new is going to have trouble beating it! I nearly went for a tarmac and am so glad I didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Putting some rationality, If by fast you mean “aero”, the SSe3 is not really faster than current Tarmac. The few watts different have been measured with faster equipment on the SSE3 (aero bar). At the end they are very close but the Tarmac keeps an higher stiffness.

Now geometry, weight repartition... may make you feel one frame faster than the other.

The fact that new bikes are not really faster than a 3 years old tarmac makes me wonder to what extend new « non pure aero frames » may progress (right now there is a max of 15W with pure aero machines and a Tarmac / SSe3)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

hawkinssmythe

by hawkinssmythe

Is this the new tarmac?Image

guyc

by guyc

Just a small Venge no?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

That’s a 52cm venge. Expect the SL7 to look exactly like the black bike we saw last year.
Last edited by AnkitS on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

C36 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:34 pm
hawkinssmythe wrote:I’ve just bought the new supersix evo and it is absolutely amazing and sooo fast. I think the tsrmac either current or new is going to have trouble beating it! I nearly went for a tarmac and am so glad I didn’t.

Putting some rationality, If by fast you mean “aero”, the SSe3 is not really faster than current Tarmac. The few watts different have been measured with faster equipment on the SSE3 (aero bar). At the end they are very close but the Tarmac keeps an higher stiffness.

Now geometry, weight repartition... may make you feel one frame faster than the other.

The fact that new bikes are not really faster than a 3 years old tarmac makes me wonder to what extend new « non pure aero frames » may progress (right now there is a max of 15W with pure aero machines and a Tarmac / SSe3)
I agree with your comment about aero. But I want to add that SS Evo 3 certainly feel faster on rough road than my Allez Sprint. With the same wheels, tires and tire pressure, it just roll over rough surface faster with less wasted energy. Maybe, (apart from small weight difference) that is what keep the current Tarmac model alive when Venge outshine it's aero performance and overall speed on good road.

Also there are some size specific differences that contribute to feeling:
Only size 48-49: SS Evo size 48 has lower trail value than Tarmac size 49, so handling will feel more agile and responsive.
Only size 48-54: SS Evo size 48-54 consistently have about 20mm longer front center, while also have about 2mm shorter rear center. Bikes with rear wheel closer to the bb and front wheel pushed away will feel more responsive, it'll feel more like a mustang that is ready to wheelie as you apply the torque. I believe many people like this sensation.
Last edited by Hexsense on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

hawkinssmythe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Better question would be, why is he not using a Shiv?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

hawkinssmythe

by hawkinssmythe

Noctiluxx wrote:
hawkinssmythe wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... als-448766

guyc

by guyc

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm
hawkinssmythe wrote:

Also the distance and logistics involved in taking a separate fleet of TT bikes for a single stage in a smallish race that far from their base.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Noctiluxx wrote:
Nobody brings TT bikes to Vuelta a San Juan. I think it is an unwritten agreement between the teams or an actual rule. It lowers the cost of the race and makes logistics easier for teams early in the season.

ichobi

by ichobi

If Specialized follows that usual release cycle don't expect the first retail sl7 to land until October with limited availability. Not many brands to available for sale at launch. Pinarello comes to mind but they only have one model to sell anyway.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

hawkinssmythe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 am
I test rode both. The Cannondale just seemed that little bit more responsive. I also found the geometry better for me. I’ve had the supersix for 4 weeks now and haven’t been dissapointed, and am watching my pb’s falling one by one... and that is without even trying. The thing I’ve really noticed is that instant speed and that once its going its easy to maintain. It just seems to want to go faster and faster. I didn’t get that with the tarmac. Just felt heavier and had to push that little bit more. Still, both great bike though. Just very happy with my choice. Image

"and that is without even trying." maybe you weren't trying hard enough before? Congrats tho, it's a very nice bike and seems like you love riding it (which i think is the most important factor). I especially dig the frame in EF colors.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

ds240

by ds240

guyc wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
hawkinssmythe wrote:

Also the distance and logistics involved in taking a separate fleet of TT bikes for a single stage in a smallish race that far from their base.
I was going to do this also with the clip on TT Venge bars. I don't really favour TT events so this is a good compromise when I can't justify a full on TT bike. Get my monies worth out the Venge also.

dcorn

by dcorn

hawkinssmythe wrote:
Is this the new tarmac?
Is this just a joke comment? It literally says "Venge" right there on the seat stay.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ichobi wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm
If Specialized follows that usual release cycle don't expect the first retail sl7 to land until October with limited availability. Not many brands to available for sale at launch. Pinarello comes to mind but they only have one model to sell anyway.
With the Olympics going on this year also pushing up the TdF, bikes like the SL7 Tarmac and new Emonda will likely be released earlier, possibly before the Giro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com