New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

The real question is, does anybody recognize that shop? This is obviously a cell phone pic of probably one of the shop guys taking it out for a spin. Or some very lucky bastard who got one early. Different from the Trek picture that was leaked. Wonder if shops are actually getting them in or this is a small batch to specific shops.

For me, I don't know how I feel about the front end. I knew there were going to be hidden cables, and I was really excited about it. But it just looks weird on a Tarmac. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. One bike with two wheelsets (lightweight and deep) would be nice. Not a huge fan of the color, hope they have some other options. And really curious about the weight.

Edit: Just reread thet TrainerRoad post and said it was a Specialized rep.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Does the seatpost has an attachment for whatever purpose?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Space cavity for di2 box?

Cemicar

by Cemicar

ichobi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm
Venge already has a seatpost that can cleanly install the Di2 junction so that you can hardly notice it from the side view. I don't see why the new Tarmac ever needs an extra stuff to achieve the same thing unless its seatpost might be a bit too thin.

Even so, still don't see why they ever bother to set the junction in the seatpost. At the end of handlebars or the middle of the downtube it doesn't seem to compromise on anything (e.g. aero, maintenance, cleanness).

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Wrapping bars cleanly with a bar end junction is impossible. I guess I am in the minority that can not stand the bar end junction for that reason.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Integrated rear light on that seatpost?

Cool looking bike. The tube shapes are still very much like the tarmac than the venge - rounder. So it should be a bit less aero, though pitching it as "close enough that it doesn't matter" looks feasible. The front end/cockpit looks like Aerofly II and a Venge stem. That stem being my least loved part on the venge - unnecessarily bulky and heavy. Very curious what the final weight of this will be - my hunch is that it's going to be unchanged or 50-100g over than the current tarmac as any advances will be nullified by the heavier cockpit.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

aeroisnteverything wrote:Integrated rear light on that seatpost?

Cool looking bike. The tube shapes are still very much like the tarmac than the venge - rounder. So it should be a bit less aero, though pitching it as "close enough that it doesn't matter" looks feasible. The front end/cockpit looks like Aerofly II and a Venge stem. That stem being my least loved part on the venge - unnecessarily bulky and heavy. Very curious what the final weight of this will be - my hunch is that it's going to be unchanged or 50-100g over than the current tarmac as any advances will be nullified by the heavier cockpit.
Do you have in mind the current weight of the frame (800gr? - frame) + (3xx gr - fork)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Pukutis wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:03 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:Integrated rear light on that seatpost?

Do you have in mind the current weight of the frame (800gr? - frame) + (3xx gr - fork)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More the complete bike. I think the frame/fork will be unchanged in weight from SL6.
Last edited by aeroisnteverything on Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

double post

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Maybe some Venge owners can answer this, but are there any light stem/bar alternatives for this? I know the Venge stem isn't the lightest, either are the Aerofly bars. Would be interested to see if there were some lighter options.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm
Maybe some Venge owners can answer this, but are there any light stem/bar alternatives for this? I know the Venge stem isn't the lightest, either are the Aerofly bars. Would be interested to see if there were some lighter options.
It depends on what tradeoffs you want to make. There are one-piece systems that are lighter - e.g., Farsports F1 and Deda Alanera. I don't think farsports makes Venge specific spacers yet, but if you slam it, it should install ok. Same for Alanera - just more expensive. I haven't tried either but both look ok, although I am hazarding a guess that the Aerofly is marginally more aero because of it's wide shape. I also frankly just like the Aerofly bar itself.

If you want to keep the bar and just change the stem - which would be my preferred scenario - things get more compliated. I don't think any other stem will offer a comparable level of integration, simply because the cables won't route correctly and/or it will just look a bit out of place. Pro vibe and Deda Superzero are promising candidates, but don't quite meet the mark IMO. Deda Vinci looks cool, but is heavier than the stock Venge stem.

What is strange about this stage of affairs is that it's not that complicated. Just make a flatish-top carbon stem, with faceplate bolts in line with the stem level, and something (a hook that you attach with a small bolt) to hold the cables under the stem. That's all. I've suggested this to Darimo, but have not seen a response or a suggestion that they would make one - but it seems to me that if they made something that looked sorta like a Venge stem but 100g, they would sell them like hotcakes, given the popularity of the Venge and the propensity of Venge owners to chase marginal peformance gains.

ichobi

by ichobi

If you use 3rd party stem on the venge, the bikes comes with alternative headset cover with a few ports to route cable in so you get almost the cable free look. Not as pretty as Specialized’s kit but it looks fine.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Cemicar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 pm
ichobi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm
Venge already has a seatpost that can cleanly install the Di2 junction so that you can hardly notice it from the side view. I don't see why the new Tarmac ever needs an extra stuff to achieve the same thing unless its seatpost might be a bit too thin.
The Venge seatpost is deep enough to do that. The Tarmac seatpost is not.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I like the bar end junction, but I agree it's challenging to tape bars cleanly with. The seatpost setup in the Venge is super slick - probably one of my favorite details on that bike. Much less clean on the Tarmac unfortunately...

As far as alternative cockpit setups, the Aerofly II handlebar is already among the lightest "aero" handlebars available and I really appreciate the small bumps/texture on the tops. The stock stem is an absolute boat anchor and brutally stiff. Also, I felt the integrated Garmin mount lacked a little... polish. My device didn't click in firmly nor did it want to stay straight. I was constantly fussing with it. Specialized does provide alternative headset top caps so you CAN use any stem you choose.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I mean, one could just try the Extralite hyperstem on the Venge. :noidea: Should look ok, though perhaps less aero. Will obviously be even better on the less aero and more weigh-focused Tarmac. Will save 120g vs stock. Which, you know... if you save 120g on the frame, would be like a massive engineering achievement.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com