New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guyc

by guyc

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:03 pm

I wonder what Durian rider has to say now. The dude is very vocal about not liking discs for road

I can't think of anyone whose opinion I'd care about less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

guyc wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm
g32ecs wrote:

I wonder what Durian rider has to say now. The dude is very vocal about not liking discs for road

same. There's "irrelevant", then there is "irrelevant, and obnoxious".
That's durianrider

zappafile123

by zappafile123

sgtrobo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:59 pm
guyc wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:37 pm
g32ecs wrote:

same. There's "irrelevant", then there is "irrelevant, and obnoxious".
That's durianrider
Burn!

Still I think we'll be seeing new mainstream rim brake equipment for another 5 to 10 years I think. Then some small elements in the market will hold on. It'll be at least 3 groupset generations (10-15 years) before we see a disc brake configuration (i.e. just the components themselves) thats as light as rim brake. That an a reduction in how hard it is to service the damn things is the holy grail for disc. So we'll be forced onto an inferior platform for a few years till it catches up to rim in terms of servicability and weight... if that ever happens... which it might not. There might be some other paradigm shift. Telekenesis braking maybe when Musk gets BMI right.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^

I like all this shit-chat about inferior platform... maybe you should add for you.....because I can certainly think of advantages(for me) ... but why does every thread have to turn into this crap... give it a rest and go buy a rim brake defenders tshirt from Rides of Japan on youtube.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

zappafile123

by zappafile123

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 am
^

I like all this shit-chat about inferior platform... maybe you should add for you.....because I can certainly think of advantages(for me) ... but why does every thread have to turn into this crap... give it a rest and go buy a rim brake defenders tshirt from Rides of Japan on youtube.
Weight and servicability are inferior for everyone bud ;)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

3Pio

by 3Pio

g32ecs wrote:
Well, the discs havent stopped Allaphillppe and the Bora sprinters from winning this year. Specialized is ALL in on this.

Personally I'm fine with rim brakes, but I cant stop the industry. I don't have alpine climbs in my backyard, more like rolling hills

I have Alpine Climbs where i live almost in BackYard.. And ride Rim brake bikes and carbon wheelset most of the time (Campagnolo Bora's).. And never ever feel that i need more powerfull braking.. Also never ever had problems with rim brakes on my rides.. Reliable, easy to adjust, plenty of braking power and modulation.. It's just works.. Brakings pads last ages (15000 km on Red Campy pads and still at least 5000-7000 km left)

Bonus about riding here is in summer often temperatures like 40 C degrees (very hot).. Never ever melted the carbon wheelset or any kind of problem.. In about month-two from now, will be cold temperatures with plenty of rain.. A bit weaker braking power on rain, but totaly satisfactory..

So as u can see we have worst condition regarding braking, and i can say really no need for discs on road bike.. For me is part of consumerism, when industry push u to buy something u dont need, and push in something which is more complicated (but with no positive outcome from that complications in same time), more expensive for maintance, and to make u grieve about "old " equimpent u have (but it's totaly highend, totaly perfect) and to make u buy actually inferior things (but last model...)

Two weeks ago, i had ride where i rode 256km, and 5000m elevation (4 mountains, steep grades).. And what goes up, must go down.. On this ride especially on last 1/4 of ride i feel tired and of course focus/concentraion lower then usuall.. And NO, did not feel my braking inferior and did not feel that i need discs...

Just sharing my opinion based on experience i have from my riding and area i ride (Very steep climbs, hot weather, rain....)

If someone find discs must have thing on road bike, go and buy it (if that makes u ride more).. And i would not have anything against it, if the industry going just consumerism way and not letting us having a choice..

Me personally will try to stay on Rim Brakes as long as possible.....

moonoi

by moonoi

I feel sorry that I mentioned I was able to order a rim brake frame in the MY2020 colour way now.

It's boring how it always devolves to a disc vs rim discussion.

Anyway, I'd prefer to go disc, since I have another disc roadbike already, I don't find it any more difficult or inferior to maintain than rimbrakes, just different.

I went rimbrake on this, just so I could swap the parts over from my existing frame that is a bit too small, and I don't have enough cash to swap over to a disc frame at this point, that was the only factor in my decision (money)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

bjarkisb

by bjarkisb

3Pio wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 am
g32ecs wrote:
Well, the discs havent stopped Allaphillppe and the Bora sprinters from winning this year. Specialized is ALL in on this.

Personally I'm fine with rim brakes, but I cant stop the industry. I don't have alpine climbs in my backyard, more like rolling hills

I have Alpine Climbs where i live almost in BackYard.. And ride Rim brake bikes and carbon wheelset most of the time (Campagnolo Bora's).. And never ever feel that i need more powerfull braking.. Also never ever had problems with rim brakes on my rides.. Reliable, easy to adjust, plenty of braking power and modulation.. It's just works.. Brakings pads last ages (15000 km on Red Campy pads and still at least 5000-7000 km left)

Bonus about riding here is in summer often temperatures like 40 C degrees (very hot).. Never ever melted the carbon wheelset or any kind of problem.. In about month-two from now, will be cold temperatures with plenty of rain.. A bit weaker braking power on rain, but totaly satisfactory..

So as u can see we have worst condition regarding braking, and i can say really no need for discs on road bike.. For me is part of consumerism, when industry push u to buy something u dont need, and push in something which is more complicated (but with no positive outcome from that complications in same time), more expensive for maintance, and to make u grieve about "old " equimpent u have (but it's totaly highend, totaly perfect) and to make u buy actually inferior things (but last model...)

Two weeks ago, i had ride where i rode 256km, and 5000m elevation (4 mountains, steep grades).. And what goes up, must go down.. On this ride especially on last 1/4 of ride i feel tired and of course focus/concentraion lower then usuall.. And NO, did not feel my braking inferior and did not feel that i need discs...

Just sharing my opinion based on experience i have from my riding and area i ride (Very steep climbs, hot weather, rain....)

If someone find discs must have thing on road bike, go and buy it (if that makes u ride more).. And i would not have anything against it, if the industry going just consumerism way and not letting us having a choice..

Me personally will try to stay on Rim Brakes as long as possible.....
Thats a valid opinion based on your experience, I for one am a heavier rider, 80 kg olympic lifter that loves to ride bikes where breaking in the wet on carbon rims is a scary thing. I rode a rim brake tarmac in spain in the rain and going downhill I feared for my life because the brakes simply could not slow me down.
The whole rim vs disc brake debate is getting really boring, to each their own but rim brakes are going out in the coming future. Both disc and rim brakes have their pros and cons but the times are changing and based on research for the better, these companies invest heavily in R&D and being a statistician I can probably say with confidence that they found that for most riders discs are better. You and I have different experiences so do a million others.

Jugi

by Jugi

3Pio wrote: I have Alpine Climbs where i live almost in BackYard.. And ride Rim brake bikes and carbon wheelset most of the time (Campagnolo Bora's).. And never ever feel that i need more powerfull braking..
I'd say that is not categorically true.

I descended all three of the roads leading up to Pass Mortirolo in June. One of them is an easy "tourist climb" which is nice and flowy, it doesn't have many steep or technical sections. The second one is reasonably challenging as it is averages something like 8% and the last 500-1000 meters go up agonizingly steeply at around 12-16%. The third road is, of course, the legendary Hors categorie climb which was raced in the end of May during a Giro stage. It averages over 10% and only eases for a while to a reasonable 6-8% before kicking up again for the final push. Out of the three it has the worse surface condition, TV broadcasts don't really do justice to how bad it is to ride.

Thankfully while I was there, conditions were sunny and hot and I didn't have any issues descending on rim brakes and carbon braking surfaces. However, I would've been shitting my pants coming down both the steeper roads on a rainy day. The Horse categorie side might have been un-descendable for me, and I would've had to take it easy on the second steepest road as well. With disc brakes, most likely it wouldn't have mattered what conditions there were.

ichobi

by ichobi

Lets stay on topic.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

WILL YOU STOP THE F!CKING RIM VS BRAKE PROS AND CONS TIT-FOR-TAT??? ENOUUUUUUUUGH!!!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

But how will I know which one is better? :(

3Pio

by 3Pio

Jugi wrote:
3Pio wrote: I have Alpine Climbs where i live almost in BackYard.. And ride Rim brake bikes and carbon wheelset most of the time (Campagnolo Bora's).. And never ever feel that i need more powerfull braking..
I'd say that is not categorically true.

I descended all three of the roads leading up to Pass Mortirolo in June. One of them is an easy "tourist climb" which is nice and flowy, it doesn't have many steep or technical sections. The second one is reasonably challenging as it is averages something like 8% and the last 500-1000 meters go up agonizingly steeply at around 12-16%. The third road is, of course, the legendary Hors categorie climb which was raced in the end of May during a Giro stage. It averages over 10% and only eases for a while to a reasonable 6-8% before kicking up again for the final push. Out of the three it has the worse surface condition, TV broadcasts don't really do justice to how bad it is to ride.

Thankfully while I was there, conditions were sunny and hot and I didn't have any issues descending on rim brakes and carbon braking surfaces. However, I would've been shitting my pants coming down both the steeper roads on a rainy day. The Horse categorie side might have been un-descendable for me, and I would've had to take it easy on the second steepest road as well. With disc brakes, most likely it wouldn't have mattered what conditions there were.
Why would i risk my life using rim brakes on steep rides i regular doing ? To impress u? :)

Did u consider nice MTB bikefor next ride like that? Even more compatible with different conditions on the road.. Anyway lets stay on topic as others asked..Enough rim vs disc in every topic like this..

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Jarett

by Jarett

Last edited by Jarett on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Jarett wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:52 pm
Tarmac 2021 prototype !!
hard to tell much from the pictures but
+cable through head tube... yay, it look similar to one of Venge's alternative headset cap that is for non Venge stem. Not sure if it is exactly that one.
+larger tire clearance
-no hole on down tube for di2 junction box?
-new seatpost again?