New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zappafile123 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 am
People, its not a foregone conclusion that the SL7 will only be offered in disc. Yes it seems likely, but there is no official word anywhere.

It's not official yet, but it's pretty obvious. Just look at the Specialized website right now. Complete bikes are only available in disc. For MY2020 there are only two rim-brake colorways and they are only available as framesets. They're not going to bother designing and manufacturing a rim-brake version only to have them represent probably <5% of all Tarmac sales.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

You sure make up a lot of numbers.

packetloss

by packetloss

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:32 am
packetloss wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:05 pm
That sucks big time SL7 is disc only.
Why? What do you think SL6 is missing? :)
Availability in future years once current stock is gone. If you crash or otherwise need a new frame, a new Tarmac won't be an option if you want rim brakes

packetloss

by packetloss

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am
zappafile123 wrote:
People, its not a foregone conclusion that the SL7 will only be offered in disc. Yes it seems likely, but there is no official word anywhere.

It's not official yet, but it's pretty obvious. Just look at the Specialized website right now. Complete bikes are only available in disc. For MY2020 there are only two rim-brake colorways and they are only available as framesets. They're not going to bother designing and manufacturing a rim-brake version only to have them represent probably <5% of all Tarmac sales.
As long as they are available as a frameset that is fine. Not sure why anyone would want to buy a complete bike anyway, at least at the $9000+ price point.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

packetloss wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:35 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am
zappafile123 wrote:

As long as they are available as a frameset that is fine. Not sure why anyone would want to buy a complete bike anyway, at least at the $9000+ price point.

It won’t be available as a frameset. The 2020 model is available as a frameset in two colorways, but the SL7 is a 2021.

Imaking20 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:11 pm
You sure make up a lot of numbers.

I’m sure a few people here work in Specialized dealers. To say 1 in 20 Tarmacs sold at any particular shop might be rim-brake versions....that was me being generous because 5 is a round/pretty number.

bobzz

by bobzz

Starting a Tarmac SL6 sworks build, any idea of what headset goes in there? does it need to be press in with a special tools?

thanks

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bobzz wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 pm
Starting a Tarmac SL6 sworks build, any idea of what headset goes in there? does it need to be press in with a special tools?

thanks
Your frame should have come with the bearing kit etc for the headset.. there is no pressing required..

bobzz

by bobzz

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm
bobzz wrote:

thanks
Your frame should have come with the bearing kit etc for the headset.. there is no pressing required..
Thanks i didnt know it come with, still waiting for the frameset to arrive.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bobzz wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:43 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm
bobzz wrote:

thanks
Thanks i didnt know it come with, still waiting for the frameset to arrive.
No prob... if I recall the BB bearings were not pressed into the tarmac, but they were pressed into my Venge... so depending on what you are using for crank may involve some removal (if installed)

cerro

by cerro

ParisCarbon: BB bearings comes pressed in in both Venge and Tarmac framesets.

eric01

by eric01

cerro wrote:ParisCarbon: BB bearings comes pressed in in both Venge and Tarmac framesets.
Mine didn’t. But it’s easy enough to do with right tools

Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

sigma

by sigma

C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 pm
colagreek wrote:Anyone have the pics of the proto SL7?
ImageImage

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
So this past summer I ran into Peter Sagan (we've shared a few meals over the last few years) and the rest of the Bora guys training in Utah before Montreal /the worlds. I looked down at Peter's bike and mistakenly asked him why he was riding the Venge and he smiled and said, "Tarmac." I think it was basically what you have posted here - integrated stem and bars with a bit more aero perhaps though I did not check it out long enough.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

g32ecs

by g32ecs

What month do new frames come out again for purchase?

Maybe this is worth waiting for after all. I almost bought an SL6 but my final landed cost was halfway through the retail price. A bit more saving and I can get the color I want.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm
What month do new frames come out again for purchase?

Maybe this is worth waiting for after all. I almost bought an SL6 but my final landed cost was halfway through the retail price. A bit more saving and I can get the color I want.
If this release schedule follows the past ones, we'll probably see a few keys guys riding stealth models in all black at the Dauphine/Suisse races with an official annoucment at the Tour. There is usually a limited release to the highest tier shops of just S-Works bikes at the announcement. Lower models are usually announced at the dealer event in late August/early September with bikes available shortly after.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I can't find ANY rim brake Tarmacs, frameset or otherwise, on the UK website.