New Specialized Tarmac 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 pm
Calnago wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:40 pm

And funny thing about group rides... we all seem to arrive at our destination at the same time, regardless of what we’re all riding.

Our Tues/Thurs night rides are no-wait, no-regroup rides and they might start with 30 people, but often half get dropped / take shortcuts, and usually the front group of 5-6 will finish minutes ahead. Our Sat/Sun rides have one regroup, but it's a race to get there and a race to the end if the fast guys feel like animating the ride. There are 2-3 interval segments and 3-4 sprint points. Even beyond these official segments, it gets quite punchy. Hell, most of the local rides are like this whether it's TMR, TNR, Spectrum, AV, PV, the Alviso Practice Crit, SJBC Wednesday Night Crit or something else.

Having a faster bike allows me to hang with the dudes who are stronger than me, pull for them without getting shelled. Sure I could train solo, ride at 15bpm below max and do sweetspot all day, but spirited group rides are way more fun.
“Having a faster bike allows me to hang with the dudes who are stronger than me”

No it would not :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Nejmann wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Calnago wrote:

And funny thing about group rides... we all seem to arrive at our destination at the same time, regardless of what we’re all riding.

Our Tues/Thurs night rides are no-wait, no-regroup rides and they might start with 30 people, but often half get dropped / take shortcuts, and usually the front group of 5-6 will finish minutes ahead. Our Sat/Sun rides have one regroup, but it's a race to get there and a race to the end if the fast guys feel like animating the ride. There are 2-3 interval segments and 3-4 sprint points. Even beyond these official segments, it gets quite punchy. Hell, most of the local rides are like this whether it's TMR, TNR, Spectrum, AV, PV, the Alviso Practice Crit, SJBC Wednesday Night Crit or something else.

Having a faster bike allows me to hang with the dudes who are stronger than me, pull for them without getting shelled. Sure I could train solo, ride at 15bpm below max and do sweetspot all day, but spirited group rides are way more fun.
“Having a faster bike allows me to hang with the dudes who are stronger than me”

No it would not :beerchug:
I think it's just a matter of semantics, Tobin rather meant "[...] helps me to hang with the dudes who are stronger than me".

Sock3t

by Sock3t

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 pm
AW84 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:37 pm
But everything we've been fed about aero frames and wheels and handlebars and hidden cables since, perhaps the 1990s, if not the 80s, have been hollow claims.

I actually own an SL6 Tarmac. Lovely bike. Is it faster than a well-maintained bike from 1989? Not at all, but it looks nice and it rides well. Just because I disagree with Specialized's tactics doesn't make me a grumpy old codger.

But anyway, back on topic.
The aero deniers come into yet another topic and derail it.

Your bike from 1989 is not just as fast as a modern aero bike. Your box section 32 hole wheels are not faster than modern wheels. And, your flappy jersey from 1989 is not faster than tight fitting modern kit. Your 30 year old helmet is not as fast as a aero road helmet.

Why are Specialized's tactics offensive? They want to sell new bikes. As was true in 1989, bike makers make a few changes, use some new tubing, put on a fancy paint job, install the latest groupset and try to sell you the latest and greatest. How is it any different?
There's the "Back in my day" people on this board who just spout garbage. Then there's worse - the Anti-Specialized people. The ones who hate that specialized spend millions in advertising to get new people into cycling, that they have all the tools to push the cutting edge, they sponsor a team comprised of African-American racers that win constantly, or that specialized continues to push the needle in the world of innovation.

It's hilarious to watch and read here - they hate the vary thing that is saving cycling from evaporating. Old white men, crying over 1st world problems, and hate any change with the times.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dude that team was winning without spesh... I think spesh is using them to jump on some kind of social bandwagon..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CNCPT didn’t dominate like L39ion is now. They now have the sponsor backing to lure away the best elite amateurs and former pros. They just picked up Cory Lockwood and Tyler Williams for example. Also in 2017 Cory Williams was doing his own thing for a year with Elevate-KHS while Justin Williams was a solo act after Cylance folded.

I’m excited. They’re going to force the rest of the amateur scene to step their game up...not just in SoCal...all over the US.

Considering how non-cyclists view bicycles as toys for children or conveyances for those too poor to own a car, diversity is the future of cycling.

dcorn

by dcorn

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:23 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 pm
AW84 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:37 pm
But everything we've been fed about aero frames and wheels and handlebars and hidden cables since, perhaps the 1990s, if not the 80s, have been hollow claims.

I actually own an SL6 Tarmac. Lovely bike. Is it faster than a well-maintained bike from 1989? Not at all, but it looks nice and it rides well. Just because I disagree with Specialized's tactics doesn't make me a grumpy old codger.

But anyway, back on topic.
The aero deniers come into yet another topic and derail it.

Your bike from 1989 is not just as fast as a modern aero bike. Your box section 32 hole wheels are not faster than modern wheels. And, your flappy jersey from 1989 is not faster than tight fitting modern kit. Your 30 year old helmet is not as fast as a aero road helmet.

Why are Specialized's tactics offensive? They want to sell new bikes. As was true in 1989, bike makers make a few changes, use some new tubing, put on a fancy paint job, install the latest groupset and try to sell you the latest and greatest. How is it any different?
There's the "Back in my day" people on this board who just spout garbage. Then there's worse - the Anti-Specialized people. The ones who hate that specialized spend millions in advertising to get new people into cycling, that they have all the tools to push the cutting edge, they sponsor a team comprised of African-American racers that win constantly, or that specialized continues to push the needle in the world of innovation.

It's hilarious to watch and read here - they hate the vary thing that is saving cycling from evaporating. Old white men, crying over 1st world problems, and hate any change with the times.
Shots fired! Ha, love it. And I agree with everything. They are furthering the sport and we should honestly be grateful.

Now back to the Tarmac. I've seen a bunch of new frame paintjobs on instagram that you guys aren't copying here. Dropping the ball! The US website hasn't changed, anything crazy happening in other countries?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0vOE95pRWw ... _copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0mWgVPA_Ak ... _copy_link

James14100

by James14100

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0r8atuFWVj ... 3559qrtqyp

My LBS here in NZ posted this on Insta and their Facebook the other day.

refthimos

by refthimos

Cables still external. That seems so 2018 these days.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Calnago wrote:

You do the TNR from Bike Therapy? We wait/regroup at the top of Sycamore ;)

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:10 am
dude that team was winning without spesh... I think spesh is using them to jump on some kind of social bandwagon..
"That team"

You mean Legion? Justin and Cory weren't on the same team; Justin won crit and road natz solo; on a Spesh. Cory was on a KHS.

There was no "that team" until this year.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SuperDave wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 am

You do the TNR from Bike Therapy? We wait/regroup at the top of Sycamore ;)

Oh, different TNR.

e: Misunderstood
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

SuperDave wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:10 am
"That team"

You mean Legion? Justin and Cory weren't on the same team; Justin won crit and road natz solo; on a Spesh. Cory was on a KHS.

There was no "that team" until this year.
Bringing facts to A mud slinging, how dare you Image

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:33 am
CNCPT didn’t dominate like L39ion is now. They now have the sponsor backing to lure away the best elite amateurs and former pros. They just picked up Cory Lockwood and Tyler Williams for example. Also in 2017 Cory Williams was doing his own thing for a year with Elevate-KHS while Justin Williams was a solo act after Cylance folded.

I’m excited. They’re going to force the rest of the amateur scene to step their game up...not just in SoCal...all over the US.

Considering how non-cyclists view bicycles as toys for children or conveyances for those too poor to own a car, diversity is the future of cycling.
damn my bad... I dont follow them all that closely obviously.. just seems like a Williams was always winning.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Miles253

by Miles253

This one looks fantastic, if the Venge doesn't come in this one too, then I've made my decision!
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cdavies102

by Cdavies102

Specialized Tarmac Expert gets Ultegra Di2 for 2020...

Doesn't seem to leave much to differentiate between Expert and Pro levels now? Just Roval C38 instead of CL50? :noidea:
Attachments
67570009_10157649299413804_255031494429376512_n.jpg
67647130_1065520043655643_9115532975784591360_n.jpg
67681464_10157649299148804_1359328600536383488_n.jpg