Edge 520 Alternatives

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I left mine on the car roof and drove off.
I still have an old 500 that works but I want the bluetooth so I can upload straight to Strava without wires.

Basically the cheapest GPS computer that pairs with my power meter that I can opload to Strava without wires. I'm not brand fussy, It just needs to work.

Any help is truly appreciated, there's almost too much info out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Edge 130 maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

If God forbid I'd lose my 520, I would choose between these 3:

Garmin 130. Minimalist / small, excellent bw screen
Garmin 530. Finally a real upgrade for midsize garmins. New fast cpu, excellent nav, battery and screen. Really nice but more money of course.
Wahoo bolt. I like it from the reviews, I like the frontal buttons. I'd really want to check out one in real before rushing back to garmin

kordis123

by kordis123

The cheapest one that pairs with power I found was Lezyne Super GPS. Got it for 100euro almost 2 years ago, it should be even cheaper now. It is not perfect. It sometimes loses signal with the sensors and the navigation is poor, however the battery life is amazing, 24+ hours and the updates for the software are still coming. Id buy it again if I needed smth not expensive.

csf

by csf

Just get Bryton 410, for 102€ with all the functions it’s hard to find any better device

Patto

by Patto

I got a bolt and a 530. Had a bolt for nearly two years now. The bolt is actually a warranty replacement and is about 2 months old.

I wanted a computer with better navigation and the ability to run apps. I got the 530 at a good price so I thought why not. I have been running them in parallel for two or so weeks now.

Both have had connectivity and syncing issues- same.

The Garmin is way better for navigation. Colour screen, detail of roadsand paths, turn etc. Garmin wins easily, but bolt bread crumbs is not too bad.

Hardware wise- Garmin easy. Looks good. Screen looks tough and shiny. Buttons feel good. Bolt is soft plastic, my older bolt was scratched a lot, even though it had no mishaps .

Beauty of going from bolt to Garmin is all my 3rd party mounts work with the Garmin. Tempted to get a 830 if I can get one at similar discount I got the 530 for.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Many thanks
Brton 410
Garmin 130
Both looking good, the 130 should be cheaper. Not much less than 520.

Some good ones to choose from there.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I had a 500 and smashed it in a crash, so I picked up a 530. Overall I like the 530 better, but the 500 was so reliable and stable. 530 is still working out some bugs.
Ride fast Take chances

peted76

by peted76

Picked up a 530 the other week, so far I'm pleased with it. Screen is very good and it's so much faster than my old 510, battery life seems good also, still having some charge after some 17.5 hours in the saddle the other week.
Lots of additional features over my old 510 which may, or may not, come in handy one day.
Only gripe is that, although usually prefer a physical button to press, working the 530 for even simple tasks is a cross between mental maths and a rubix cube. Often when I'm cycling I'm tired or rushing out the door and with six/seven buttons on three sides, it's not totally intuitive to navigate around the menus yet (although I hope it'll become intuitive soon enough).
E.g. to turn it on, check the phone is connected and load a course to ride.. takes some thinking about. However saying that you can turn it on and just press one button to ride simply enough.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I went from 520 to a 830 and I’m very impressed with the 830. When it comes to navigation there’s no comparison. Battery life has been amazing too. My longest ride being four hours long and at the finish I still had 87% left. The touch screen is very responsive. I do have one issue and it’s not a deal killer. I wear an Apple Watch and hence I don’t carry my phone when riding. Upon returning home my 830 won’t automatically connect to the phone via BT unless I bring up the Garmin Connect app on the phone. Once I bring it up it the BT connection is made and the saved ride is uploaded to GC and Strava. On my 520 the BT connection is made automatically without me touching my phone. So I think this is a bug and I have reported it to Garmin.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone, very useful.
I’ve ended up getting the Bryton Rider 410. £75 new from a very highly rated Taiwan eBay seller.
Same seller has the edge 530 at £140.
At virtually half the price I’ve decided to go with the Bryton.

AJS914

by AJS914

Can you buy international Garmins from Asia and have them work in US/Europe? Way back when I was buying my 510 I think that you didn't get the right maps if you bought a unit from Asia and there was zero warranty.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I had the Garmin 130 for a bit. Battery life isn't there, it does upload seemlessly via BT, button sequence to end a ride a hassle (two handed affair), and the screen is too small if you have a power meter. Does speed, distance, strava, varia radar fine though.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

AJS914 wrote:Can you buy international Garmins from Asia and have them work in US/Europe? Way back when I was buying my 510 I think that you didn't get the right maps if you bought a unit from Asia and there was zero warranty.
Honestly not sure, it’s a pretty basic device and I only want it for Strava and power.
Looking at the sellers feedback there doesn’t seem to have been any issues.

Js2

by Js2

Would highly recommend wahoo, their App Setup (very intuitive) and UI (user interface) is miles ahead of garmin. They also frequently update the app for any bugs or compatibility issue with newer products such as powermeter and other sensors.

I am currently using the wahoo bolt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com