not so slammed

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:28 am
spdntrxi wrote:big bikes are always ugly... 62cm you have no choice... just enjoy and ride. Small Madones are pretty ugly too.. so you are not alone.
Hey! Not so. All depends on the build. Plus, with the wider tubes, deeper wheels, etc, I actually think larger bikes more often than not look better proportioned than the smaller bikes these days versus the days where all tubes were about an inch in diameter. And when you throw in super sloping top tubes with fat tube profiles and fat tires to begin with, the smallest bikes start looking more like mountain bikes than road bikes. The smallest Madones for example just look so weird to me. Like a child’s toy. Funsize.
As for overall proportional changes, it’s been long recognized that the smallest frames are the most difficult to build with sound geometry using 700c wheels etc. Hence the many attempts at small road bikes utilizing 650c wheels, in order not to have to resort to weird geometries etc. Huge bikes (and I’m talking really huge) may look gangley, but they’re not under the same geometry constraints as small bikes. They just end up looking kinda like a small bike with 650 wheels, except mansize.
I know it's subjective... all those words.... blah blah.. where's the pic of that big beautiful bike :noidea:

besides you are agreeing with me about the small madones..

Calnago

by Calnago

spdntrxi wrote: I know it's subjective... all those words.... blah blah.. where's the pic of that big beautiful bike :noidea:

besides you are agreeing with me about the small madones..
Yeah, of course it’s subjective, but for example, here’s a 60cm Trek... looks ok I think...

This kid was fascinated by my bike. He can’t wait to get a “BigBoy” bike like mine...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ok your special edition trek is alright looking for a 60mm ... it's rare or the rarest though... hell they dont make one of those less then 56cm I beleive.. or I'd probably have one.

Calnago

by Calnago

And not mine, but a 56s C64 (equivalent of a 60 in traditional speak)...

Or this 62cm C50... like I said, it all depends...

Etc etc...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'll take your Trek over the Colnago... that colnago HT/TT slope is really pushing it to my eye

Calnago

by Calnago

spdntrxi wrote:I'll take your Trek over the Colnago... that colnago HT/TT slope is really pushing it to my eye
You’re probably looking at it from a really short height. It looks better from an angle above 6’. Image

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 am
spdntrxi wrote:I'll take your Trek over the Colnago... that colnago HT/TT slope is really pushing it to my eye
You’re probably looking at it from a really short height. It looks better from an angle above 6’. Image
yeah your just used to ugly and have accepted the fate :beerchug:
Last edited by spdntrxi on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago

by Calnago

Geez... sms in full effect.

flying

by flying

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:53 am
Severely sloping top tubes look horrible on larger bikes. I'm only a size large/56/57cm and I've had two bikes that didn't look quite right. One was a Parlee and one was a Time. My Colnago looks great to my eye with its gently sloping top tube. I also swapped the stem to match the slope of the top tube.

That does have a nice stance :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 am
I know you can take it and not be all butt hurt :thumbup:

AJS914

by AJS914

Thansk.

The problem with big frames is when the rider can't find a frame big enough or they have long legs and shorter torso/arms. They end up with too much seatpost, too many spacers and an upward sloping stem. It generally looks horrible. These guys probably need a custom frame.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

^ Just too much vertical space between the drops and the top of the wheels. Tall HTs are gross because they turn the main triangle into a very obvious trapezoid/quadrilateral.

On the plus side, you could add a second set of bottle cage bosses on that DT no problem!

Calnago

by Calnago

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:55 am
Calnago wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 am
I know you can take it and not be all butt hurt :thumbup:
:beerchug:

Calnago

by Calnago

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 am
Thansk.

The problem with big frames is when the rider can't find a frame big enough or they have long legs and shorter torso/arms. They end up with too much seatpost, too many spacers and an upward sloping stem. It generally looks horrible. These guys probably need a custom frame

Well uh... yes... and then there are the rather unfortunate builds, and they come in all sizes. I had to acquire a knack for being able to put together a well proportioned bike through a lot of trial and error, and it puzzles me that sometimes people really can't tell a fine build from a bad build, either aesthetically or functinally. But I feel bad for people that go spend money on a "professional fit", where the fitter has no real clue as to how to get to where they need to be from a bike geometry standpoint, especially when it comes to the aesthetics of the final fit. I think you can get both most of the time providing you're working with a frame that's in the general ball park of a good fit. But when I see somebody who has had a fit, with just the goofiest setup imaginable, I feel bad for that person, especially if I can see how much nicer it could have been done to achieve the same result. I never fit someone without considering how to get there in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible within the parameters of what we're looking to achieve.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Guessing that rider is at least 6'7" and maybe even taller. Are there any brands at all that offer stock 65/66cm+ frames? I've seen 64cm, and they are just so full of compromises when designed around 700c wheels. Super steep HTs, super slack STs, inappropriate short wheelbases, etc. It's a shame Dirty Sixers are limited by rim/tire choice, because anyone that tall would be way better off with "32in" or "36in" wheeled bikes.

by Weenie