Zipp 202 NSW vs Enve SES 2.2 (clincher/tubeless, rim brakes)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sykkelerik

by sykkelerik

Has anyone in here got any experiene with Zipp 202 NSW and/or Enve SES 2.2 (both clincher/tubeless, rim brakes) and would care to share thoughts?

I am looking for a wheelset purely for climbing (up) steep hills, and while I realize tubulars would save me some more weight, I prefer clinchers/tubeless for ease of use… so between the two mentioned wheel sets, are there any particular pros and cons I should take into consideration?

The wheels will exclusively be used in dry conditions, and mounted on a Canyon Ultimate with DA Di2.

Any and all relevant insights are appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The 202 NSW rim brake model is old and fairly narrow. It also isn’t officially tubeless compatible. I’d probably just go with ENVE SES 3.4s tbh.

sgtrobo

by sgtrobo

might want to give consideration to the Stan's Grail CB7

~1300g for about $1600
Very low profile though

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sgtrobo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm
might want to give consideration to the Stan's Grail CB7

~1300g for about $1600
Very low profile though

Those are disc-only.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I would go with the tubeless Bontrager XXX 2's, 1305 grams, 21mm internal width, terrific hub, incredible braking, $2400 msrp.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I own a pair of Zipp 303 NSWs (2017-2018 non-tubeless version) and it's a great wheelset. The braking is the best I've ever experienced with carbon rims, but still not as good as alloy in wet. I had my first wheel hub bearing replacement after about 15k miles and now I'm about to hit 20k miles with them. Training, racing, touring, commuting and everything in between. Zero problems.

The Ti zipp skewers are great, the pads wear very slowly and the wheelbags are great.
The rear hub sounds pretty weird at first so if you are sensitive to hub noise, it will bother you.

And just like somebody noted before me, the 202 Rim NSWs are not officially tubeless ready.

And I second Noctiluxx that you might also want to check out the bontrager xxx 2s... or maybe roval if you don't mind the subpar braking.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

xxx 2 is a really nice wheel.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

sykkelerik

by sykkelerik

Thanks for all the insight and input! I ended up getting a new bike instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Well-done! For what it's worth, I totally approve of your all-out decision.

Next question is what upgraded wheels are you putting on the new bike?
sykkelerik wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
Thanks for all the insight and input! I ended up getting a new bike instead Image

sykkelerik

by sykkelerik

Johnny Rad wrote:Well-done! For what it's worth, I totally approve of your all-out decision.

Next question is what upgraded wheels are you putting on the new bike?
sykkelerik wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am
Thanks for all the insight and input! I ended up getting a new bike instead Image
Ha ha! The S-Works Tarmac SL6 comes stock with Roval CLX50 wheels that rank well enough weight wise vs alternatives (and handle sufficiently on the road), so I am good for the time being. Looking to save weight elsewhere, and for me, shoes, helmet and clothing is the next frontier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com