Best shift/brake cable combo for WW build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xavi

by Xavi

I'm waiting on a SSE Hi-Mod and I'm doing a little shopping for the time it arrives, and I was wondering what's the best cable kit for shifting and braking. I'm seeing Jagwire Road Elite Link on a lot of builds, is this the way to go? Does it save much weight over Dura-Ace cable kits?

Thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I’m going through the same process of building up a bike and am buying all the necessary parts

I went for the Jagwire, as you say a lot of WW builds use them
They seemed like a good combination of low weight, fairly easy to fit, reliable and I think they look good

Not sure about the actual weight saved....but it all adds up
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

alanyu

by alanyu

The elite link housing (~30g/m including inner tube) can save around 25g/m (?) comparing to DA brake housing (~55g/m ? I can't remember clearly for this) and around 3g/m comparing to SP41 (~33g/m). Inner cable weighs similar.

For ww only choice, the powercordz swift kit can be the best choice.

However I don't like the performance of the PC inner cables. Now I'm using the elite link housing for the brake, fourier legion sp shift housing (around ~21g/m), and ultra polished inner cables (Alligator's is better than Jagwire's). I've ordered some cheap Ti cables on taobao, waiting for my holidays to go back to China and to take that.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am
The elite link housing (~30g/m including inner tube) can save around 25g/m (?) comparing to DA brake housing (~55g/m ? I can't remember clearly for this) and around 3g/m comparing to SP41 (~33g/m). Inner cable weighs similar.

However I don't like the performance of the PC inner cables. Now I'm using the elite link housing for the brake, fourier legion sp shift housing (around ~21g/m), and ultra polished inner cables (Alligator's is better than Jagwire's). I've ordered some cheap Ti cables on taobao, waiting for my holidays to go back to China and to take that.
Can you send a link to those taobao ti cables please?

alanyu

by alanyu

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:57 pm
alanyu wrote:

Unfortunately, Ti cables have been sold out, only nano-teflon steel cables left.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... n1rljkb7d6

alcatraz

by alcatraz

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm
alcatraz wrote:
alanyu wrote:

Unfortunately, Ti cables have been sold out, only nano-teflon steel cables left.

Thank you.

These are 30usd (180元)for one cable. Did you spend 120usd for a whole set? :o

alanyu

by alanyu

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:34 pm
alanyu wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm
alcatraz wrote:
alanyu wrote:

Thank you.

These are 30usd (180元)for one cable. Did you spend 120usd for a whole set? :o
No, I spent 95usd for a whole set.

addictR1

by addictR1

alanyu wrote:

hi alan, how did you like the elite link? i had them before on my addict for the brake lines they felt squishy to me.

alanyu

by alanyu

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:19 pm
alanyu wrote:

hi alan, how did you like the elite link? i had them before on my addict for the brake lines they felt squishy to me.
I would use DA brake housing for 95% out routing bars, it feels like butter, better than elite link. My aero bar with inner routing, however, makes DA feel no better than elite link, which is a downside of most inner routing bars, so why not cut down some weights.

One advantage of elite link is it won't compress.

addictR1

by addictR1

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:48 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:19 pm
alanyu wrote:

I would use DA brake housing for 95% out routing bars, it feels like butter, better than elite link. My aero bar with inner routing, however, makes DA feel no better than elite link, which is a downside of most inner routing bars, so why not cut down some weights.

One advantage of elite link is it won't compress.
thanks alan. i saw the sram brake cable that came with the groupset i bought and was thinking either to use that or not. maybe the squishy feel i got was from the cable itself and not the links?

correction.. just checked my purchase history.. the one i had was the Aican links.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Cables need replacing after a while. Alloy links can squeak.

It complicates ww builds. You can't get ww/long life/smooth action/cheap at the same time.