S-Works Tarmac SL6 - Tidying up the front end (One piece bar & stem)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GeeTee

by GeeTee

So despite the release of the new Supersix Evo, Scott Addict and Focus Izalco Max, I'm still leaning towards an S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc.

The only thing that's putting me off is the fact that unlike the other bikes I'm just mentioned, the SL6 doesn't allow you to hide the cables. It's not enough to put me off, but I'm keen to hear/see what can be done to tidy up the front end.

I'll be running Dura-ace Di2, so thinking of heat shrinking the Di2 cable to the rear disc brake hose (which I think runs into the top tube from memory). However, there may be more that can be done.

Great brains of WW, what say you good fellows?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Aerofly bar and heat shrink, size the cables appropriately and they will look neat.

The front was slightly long but I was being lazy and knew my stem length wasn't final with these bars, the rear would actually hug the frame more with about 10mm more length but I wanted it to float off the frame and not rub. Image

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

blehargh

by blehargh

GeeTee wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 pm
So despite the release of the new Supersix Evo, Scott Addict and Focus Izalco Max, I'm still leaning towards an S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc.

The only thing that's putting me off is the fact that unlike the other bikes I'm just mentioned, the SL6 doesn't allow you to hide the cables. It's not enough to put me off, but I'm keen to hear/see what can be done to tidy up the front end.

I'll be running Dura-ace Di2, so thinking of heat shrinking the Di2 cable to the rear disc brake hose (which I think runs into the top tube from memory). However, there may be more that can be done.

Don’t think there is anything else to do beyond starting to drill holes in your frame/fork. :)

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Some brands like FSA or Ritchey are releasing very interesting projects, and they might work with Tarmac...
https://www.visiontechusa.com/ja/node/3277
https://bikerumor.com/2019/04/05/ritche ... resh-more/

And indeed, I've seen several DIY people already had great success in hiding Di2 cables by passing them through the top head bearing (like below), although they had to peel the coating of the cable.

rsantos450

by rsantos450

I also have a SL6 S-works, and i dont like the cokpit, it needs a more aero stem or cleaaner look, don't know what stem to change... ;)

calleking

by calleking

I have a rim braked SL6 and I'm using Aerofly bars, Zipp Sprint SL and heat shrink tubes. Don't think it can get much better without using something like the solution posted above.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

g32ecs

by g32ecs

The solution is to wait for the SL7 as it looks like they "hid" the cables. It should be next year.

The photo below looks like a solution that Cannondale did. If Specialized were to follow Scott they'll develop an integrated bar or a 2 pc solution that still hides everything
Attachments
08397de83275aed225d070da61fa5ecf.jpg
1570539400143.jpg

rsantos450

by rsantos450

I have a rim brake version, don't need more for what i ride.

rsantos450

by rsantos450

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 0298340657

If the size fit un the headset, is a nice stem...

rlanger

by rlanger

The new Deda Vinci system looks hot and could be just what you need:

http://www.dedaelementi.com/en/vinci/

rlanger

by rlanger

calleking wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:17 pm
I have a rim braked SL6 and I'm using Aerofly bars, Zipp Sprint SL and heat shrink tubes. Don't think it can get much better without using something like the solution posted above.
Did you route the cables yourself through the Aerofly? Have one on order and just curious about what I'm in for. Was it difficult?

Stendhal

by Stendhal

blehargh wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:03 am
GeeTee wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Don’t think there is anything else to do beyond starting to drill holes in your frame/fork. :)
There is. I own a Tarmac SL-6 and use an integrated bar-stem without this issue. It's because I run SRAM eTap.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

scale29

by scale29

How's that? Do you not run brakes?

blehargh

by blehargh

rlanger wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Did you route the cables yourself through the Aerofly? Have one on order and just curious about what I'm in for. Was it difficult?
I didn't think it was too bad - but I am using the park took internal wiring kit with magnets.

Found it easier to route the housing through the shifter hole first and then through the frame.

Also if you're going to do shrink wrap, make sure you think thru the whole process a couple times. For some reason it was mentally challenging for me and I could've messed it up at multiple points

Jimboslice

by Jimboslice

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 pm
Aerofly bar and heat shrink, size the cables appropriately and they will look neat.

The front was slightly long but I was being lazy and knew my stem length wasn't final with these bars, the rear would actually hug the frame more with about 10mm more length but I wanted it to float off the frame and not rub. Image

What bar ad stem are these? Slick look.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com