Can the emonda sl6's bontrager speedstop brakes be replaced with shimano ultegra/duraace direct mount brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geodroid

by Geodroid

The bontrager speedstop brakes are sold as single units and they work both front and rear. The shimano direct mount brakes are front and rear specific. So does that mean the emonda SL uses proprietary brakes with the bontrager speedstop or can you throw in any shimano direct mount brake no worries?

Though the bontrager speedstop brakes are extremely light, probably one of the lightest direct mount brakes on the market. However if I need to replace them, they are 200$ each.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Yes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmchen

by tmchen

Yup. Just choose whichever brand that you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

As mentioned above, yes, they are interchangeable. That being said, they're pretty robust brakes that you should really worry about. Additionally, you can probably obtain a used set for around $100 (front and rear). They're really inexpensive to replace and other than the small Bontrager labels on it, would make a pretty good upgrade from Shimano brakes, since they're lighter than Shimano's lightest offering, with good modulation and braking.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I’d still prefer the Shimano offering any day over the speedstops.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geodroid

by Geodroid

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:48 pm
Nice, I remember I talked to you the other day, do you have shimano dm brakes on your SL? I hear the speedstops are really good and are lighter, I should get the bike in a couple days so I'll update how they are. For now I'll keep them but if they fail or something I'll prolly replace them with shimano.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Calnago wrote:
I've had both: one on my older Madone 5, the other on my Emonda SLR. I haven't noticed any differences in performance, but the Bontragers are noticably lighter. I know where you're coming from: the Shimano stoppers are asthetically superior to the Bontrager units, but weight is weight!

Geodroid

by Geodroid

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Calnago wrote:
I've had both: one on my older Madone 5, the other on my Emonda SLR. I haven't noticed any differences in performance, but the Bontragers are noticably lighter. I know where you're coming from: the Shimano stoppers are asthetically superior to the Bontrager units, but weight is weight!
I like them both, the shimano brakes look slick, but I kinda like the industrial look of the speed stops and they add a bit of unique flare to an otherwise ordinary looking bike imo

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

My SL was prior to them going to DM so I have the standard mount brakes. But my friend’s new SLR Emonda has the DM Speedstops and guess who gets to set them up and adjust them etc. Same with a bike I work on that has Shimano DA Direct Mounts. The Shimano operate more smoothly, and are for sure easier to adjust, and aren’t the dirt collectors that the Speedstops, or EE’s are for that matter. But if you like the look, and they are light, then just use them if you go that route if that’s what it comes with.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

While the new version of Speedstop is easier to adjust and keep in adjustment than the woefully bad originals, they still kind of suck imo, and like most things Bontrager, are a blatant rip-off of ee. Go with ee if weight is a concern.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Mongoose

by Mongoose

Does the frame fit 28 or 30mm tires with 3-4mm clearance if I replace the bontrager callipers with ultegra r8010 direct mount?

Question is if either frame or callipers are the bottle neck for wider tires.

Besides, why arent all rim brakes direct mount if direct mount is lighter and offers more braking power.

Also, what rim height are the wheels on emonda sl6 and sl6 disc? Will the stock wheels fit a 28-30mm tire?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com