Dynaplugs (Racer) - experience on road tyres?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

I like the idea but on first use the whole worm ended up in the tyre and on second use I managed to puncture the rim tape over a spoke hole with the tip causing a puncture unfixable on the road.

All user error so far. I am now carrying worms and dynaplugs in anticipation of first dynapluggable puncture.

I think the problem was the small cuts about 1-2mm which were too big for sealant to seal but too small for easy plug insertion and I had to use excessive force to get the dynaplugs in. The little tool to open up the cut would have helped but it feels counterintuitive to make the hole bigger in order to fix it.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

And if anyone from Dynaplug is reading this the rubber end cap keeps falling out of the plastic handle in my pocket and losing the spare tips and other fiddly bits. Please add a screw on end cap or twist cap or something. This plastic handled kit is a bit meh and I don't want to spend $$$£££s on the metal one. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ymisyd

by ymisyd

alanmclean wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 pm
And if anyone from Dynaplug is reading this the rubber end cap keeps falling out of the plastic handle in my pocket and losing the spare tips and other fiddly bits. Please add a screw on end cap or twist cap or something. This plastic handled kit is a bit meh and I don't want to spend $$$£££s on the metal one. Thanks.
Agree with this. I've taped mine shut. Oh, and I've also put a small blade in there to trim the end of the plug/s.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

ymisyd wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am
Out of interest, I'm using Roval CLX50s and Hutchinson Performance Storm 11 tyres.
Yeah the CLX inner profile was criticized in this review for exactly that reason (not having a proper "bump" or "barb" on the inner edge of the bead seat to lock the bead in place: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/roval-c ... apability/

It is a long and in-depth review, but the key bit is: "The CLX 32 Disc’s healthy rim width and disc compatibility will invariably draw the attention of cyclocross racers, but those tubeless woes unfortunately keep me from recommending these for that application. Even if you’re able to get tires to seat and seal, Roval hasn’t incorporated any kind of shaping in the rim bed to lock the tire bead in place. The beads of nearly every tire I used with the CLX 32 Disc fell back into the center of the rim when the tire was deflated, which can complicate adding sealant and doesn’t lend much confidence for low-pressure setups.

In fairness, I didn’t fall victim to any tires peeling off the rim while hard cornering during my test period, but that’s likely due more to the slightly higher pressures used on the road. In that environment, I had little cause for concern.
"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ymisyd wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:54 am
alanmclean wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 pm
Agree with this. I've taped mine shut. Oh, and I've also put a small blade in there to trim the end of the plug/s.

The DynaPlug Racer is less likely to have this problem, but it only holds two plugs and doesn't have a cutting blade. It's small enough for me to keep tucked away in my nylon "ride wallet" though.

jlok

by jlok

ymisyd wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 am
Out of interest, I'm using Roval CLX50s and Hutchinson Performance Storm 11 tyres.
I had a crash with this 25c tire @ard 70psi on the CLX32 front wheel. That was a fairly high speed about 40kph around a roundabout. The front end suddenly lost, no warning at all. The tire got 20psi remained after the crash.

There is no decisive reason that points to the rim profile tho.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10