2015 Record EPS 32 cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

Hi,

I’m turning 50 and live in a hilly area. Currently using 50/34 11-29 combo Record EPS.

I’ve been reading WW posts for hours now about EPS and 32 cassettes. Some says it works with some mods (like the ones of Wolf Tooth Road Link, swapping RD cage for Potenza ones, using 10 teeth upper jockey wheels), and others swear against it because of chain slack issues and even worse scenarios, such as broken frames due to overshift from the smallest cog to the chainstay.

Is there anyone who could manage to put a 32t sprocket to work on an EPS system without risking to brake something or, even worse, injure himself?

Also, I’ve read somewhere here on WW that’s possible to hack an EPS groupset to avoid it from cross chaining. Is this true? (I can’t seem to find instructions for it).

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

CF1C3945-9A06-4CE5-A1D2-F9B78E466590.jpeg
Photo
E7C8873F-348F-47DE-82C3-9967B1A6BCC8.jpeg
Here are photos. This is on a colnago with just under 30mm of reach on the hanger. It's able to get up on the 32, but it's noisy and not optimal. Another option is a Ceramic Speed OSPW which they claim will work with a 32.

My concern with your options is that you will wind up with a high-end FrankenBike that won't really work the way it should. I've just switched over one of my bikes to Mechanical 12 (The other to EPS 12 next week). If I had the choice of a hacked EPS-11 or Mechanical-12, I would pick Mechanical-12.
Last edited by joeyb1000 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Looking a little “tight” there to me. I doubt very much that in the stand, in that combo (small/big), you could spin the cranks backwards and not get some “chatter” in that junction between the upper pulley and the largest cog with the chain squeezed in there. Can you back it off just a bit using the H-screw? Likely that’s as much as you can get, correct? And if there isn’t any chatter in that position, then what is the gap like between upper pulley and say, the smaller cogs starting in the lower half of the cassette?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

FYI, I only did that to show it to naavt. Per my edits above, I don't think it's a good idea.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Oh, ok, then what you showed is a good indicator of a perhaps less than ideal scenario.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ