Difference in RD legs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

I have a short cage eTap incoming soon and was wondering if the I can use just use my 10sp wifli cage onto the eTap?

I wanna run 11/32 and I don’t think the short cage is enough to get up to 32t.

So not sure if there’s any difference in the way it’s mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The cage length doesn't change the angle at which the derailleur moves over the cassette, only the chain wrap capacity. So you would still have a "short cage" derailleur cassette size limitation with a medium cage on it.

Short cage derailleurs operate quite ok with 30/32t cassettes in general.

It just is a shame to sacrifice some of that nicer shift quality that ultegra/duraace/red/force group charges a premium for.

Some don't notice any shift deterioration and some do. I'll go out on a limb here and say that most people don't notice any difference with a 32t cassette on a short cage derailleur, but it's not a sure thing.

(Some custom cages with large pulley to pivot point offsets could help a short cage derailleur work better than it's original cages, but it's quite an experimental approach to try and go down that path. If you're running 2x you would have strange pulley/cog distance variations depending on which chainring you're in. For 1x it's a feasible option.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I had a friend looking into this, the short and medium cage RDs have a different pivot. The cage size doesn't affect capacity.

addictR1

by addictR1

That’s what I was afraid of it having a different pivot point. Since I got the short cage etap, I’ll try with my new frame and see. Heard some frames allow for better clearance. I was able to run 30t no problem on my TMR02 with red short cage in 10sp.

Another approach I was thinking is to get aftermarket J&L oversized pulley. Anyone tried that on their etap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Maybe try a wolftooth roadlink? $20 is cheap enough for a trial.

addictR1

by addictR1

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:17 pm
Maybe try a wolftooth roadlink? $20 is cheap enough for a trial.
i thought about doing that. but a riding buddy of mine bought one from wolftooth and it snapped off when his bike got bumped against the wall during coffee break. the RD got the scratch, but nothing on the wolftooth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com