Headset crown race without bevelled edge on fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

I am looking for a suitable headset for a 'Stiletto UMS light' fork, but its got a very narrow lip for supporting the crown race. The lip is literally less than 1mm deep. I bought the fork from someone who used to be registered on weightweenies, 'Xena'. The fork is bonkers light at 250g, and in good condition.

I have had a look at a Cane Creek 40 crown race, and its got a bevelled edge on the inside of the shoulder which would sit on the fork. This means the race will not sit square on the lip, but the bevel will be resting on the outside edge of the lip. Ideally I would find a crown race which had no bevel, so it sits flat on the lip. Does anyone know of a suitable solution, please? I can potentially ask a machinist I know to machine the Cane Creek headset race so that it sits square.

Note that the aero shroud for the Stiletto UMS Light is not suitable as its just a wafer thin bit of carbon, and just cosmetic.

by Weenie

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

Not to worry. I discussed this with an engineer neighbour who said the bevel on the lower part of the crown race is essential. The lip on the fork will have a radius on it to avoid stress risers. Putting a crown race without a bevel on it would lead to the fork being damaged. So, no issue with the bevel on the crown race.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I'm assuming the fork cnme off an older Storck. I think those shipped with Acros headsets. You could check with them (or storck) to see what it was originally. Whether that will fit in to your frame is another question.