Ribble/Campagnolo disc bike. A die hard rim braker's first disc brake build!

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
c60rider

by c60rider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 am
For those with squealing disc brakes in the wet. Try SwissStop Disc RS pads. No joke, they are silent in the rain.
:beerchug: Good recommendation on that one if the website is to be believed "In wet, dry, snow and ice conditions the compound is noiseless". Can anyone feedback the reality that their existing pads were howling in the wet and when changing to these they're as quiet as they claim? Only found a couple of reviews on Wiggle that seem to confirm they're quiet but not specifically mentioned wet weather noise.

by Weenie

Broady

by Broady

For the record, I have zero squeals in dry or wet weather, both with Shimano and Hope RX4 calipers.

This is with QR too, no fancy thru axles. Metal and Organic pads also.

I'd maybe try those pads above, if you still get noise there's clearly a major issue.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

For all those with "solutions" to wet weather noise, remember not just the pad. It's the combination of pad with absolutely everything else including the rider. Such is often the case with harmonic type vibration noises. It comes down to the combination that cancels out the noise. So while the SwissStop pads may work well with some combinations, it's far from a certainty they will work in all. Thanks for the tip Tobin. Obviously worth a try. Still, c60rider's question about whether the SwissStop pads have fixed a formerly loud bike is a fair one.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Broady

by Broady

Yep, I remember one guy I met, his front brake squealed like crazy, if you reached down and touched the fork you could feel the vibration.

c60rider

by c60rider

Broady wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Yep, I remember one guy I met, his front brake squealed like crazy, if you reached down and touched the fork you could feel the vibration.
Is that good idea to reach down there? :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

c60rider wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 am
For those with squealing disc brakes in the wet. Try SwissStop Disc RS pads. No joke, they are silent in the rain.
:beerchug: Good recommendation on that one if the website is to be believed "In wet, dry, snow and ice conditions the compound is noiseless". Can anyone feedback the reality that their existing pads were howling in the wet and when changing to these they're as quiet as they claim? Only found a couple of reviews on Wiggle that seem to confirm they're quiet but not specifically mentioned wet weather noise.

I use them. They are silent in all conditions except one...If you use those .25mm centerlock rotor shims, those tend to vibrate under braking. Nothing you can do about that except maybe cut them down to the perfect diameter.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

maybe I'll switch to those on my gravel/winter rig when it comes time..