New Campagnolo Centaur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cveks

by cveks

Hello,

I just wonder did anyone had pleasure to ride new Campagnolo Centaur Groupset?

I want to know how it feels , review says ride experience is same like with more expensive Campagnolo groupsets like Super Record, Record, Chorus and Potenza

Only difference is weight.

I am thinking about buying installing one.

Especially because it is hill climbing oriented with 50/34 chainset and 11-32 cassette at the back.

It is also cheapest serious road groupset you can get for money now.

Having such a good price, this groupset is also lighter than both Shimano 105 and Ultegra groupset at least according to road.cc review.

Shimano 105 R7000 groupset weights 2780g
Shimano Ultegra R8000 groupset weights 2584g

And Campagnolo Centaur groupset weights 2471g

JoO

by JoO

+ price , sensible cassettes 12-32, ultra torque crankset
- the Matt finish

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cveks

by cveks

They have silver and black version

Black is matt Silver is gloss/shiny .

I like design too . It looks great.

JoO

by JoO

I have always been impressed with the lower tier campagnolo groupsets.
The best shifting I ever had was the latest version of 10 speed veloce (with external cables).
If my bikes would get broken/stolen I would seriously consider centaur 11

robertbb

by robertbb

Centaur cassettes are not plated. I'd consider Potenza/Chorus cassettes instead purely from a longevity and shift quality perspective.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

robertbb wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 am
Centaur cassettes are not plated. I'd consider Potenza/Chorus cassettes instead purely from a longevity and shift quality perspective.
Yeah, my Centaur cassette died after just 2 chains (around 5000km) - put a new third chain and the middle cogs skipped badly. But before that the shift quality was just fine, i felt absolutely no difference compared to my SR cassette. All togteher it was a decent buy, offered me a 32 cog for little money. And it also comes as a 12 -32, unlike Potenza. That 16 tooth cog is quite useful for some people.

fa63

by fa63

I have been using it for the last year or so. It works great; I actually like Powershift more than Ultrashift on the higher end groupsets. I really like the shape of the hoods too.

Mine is not the full groupset though; I am using a Praxis Zayante Carbon crankset with a SRAM 11-32 cassette and a KMC chain.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

5000km from a cassette for me is good. I get that from my record cassettes.

Centaur is fine to ride. Think of it like veloce but with a extra cog and even slicker shifting. The silver version looks the best imo.

I actually prefer power torque bb as the bearings last longer.

cveks

by cveks

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm
robertbb wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 am
Yeah, my Centaur cassette died after just 2 chains (around 5000km) - put a new third chain and the middle cogs skipped badly. But before that the shift quality was just fine, i felt absolutely no difference compared to my SR cassette. All togteher it was a decent buy, offered me a 32 cog for little money. And it also comes as a 12 -32, unlike Potenza. That 16 tooth cog is quite useful for some people.
What amaze me here is that Campagnolo Centaur offers great setup for 50% money of Ultegra groupset price together with lower weight for some grams.

50/34 with 11-32 is unbeatable combination. With that you can climb like a goat or sprint if you like or anything else. Its best setup for people who want to have one cheap all round bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cveks

by cveks

fa63 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:27 pm
I have been using it for the last year or so. It works great; I actually like Powershift more than Ultrashift on the higher end groupsets. I really like the shape of the hoods too.

Mine is not the full groupset though; I am using a Praxis Zayante Carbon crankset with a SRAM 11-32 cassette and a KMC chain.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I have Potenza one one bike and Super Record on other. I myself prefer Powershift than Ultrashift especially for longer rides. Ultrashift is great for sprinting segments though.