Cracked DA 9000 and Ultegra 8000

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
XCProMD

by XCProMD

Greatestalltime wrote:So I’m guessing the countless pro teams using DA get a higher quality crankset. Are they forged or glued?

After two failures I’m getting skeptical about the quality of the design.

See what you did here. The teams I know of have broken their good deal of cranks over the years too.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

miltmaster3 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm
Buy rotor to have your mind free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for some reviews. Tell me why they’re better. Please.

by Weenie

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm
Greatestalltime wrote:So I’m guessing the countless pro teams using DA get a higher quality crankset. Are they forged or glued?

See what you did here. The teams I know of have broken their good deal of cranks over the years too.

I don’t see what I did :oops:

What is it?

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

TheRich wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:41 am
Are there any warning signs, anyone caught it before breaking?
I’ll go through it all.

Several months ago I replaced the chain on the DA. The next ride I notice a pop on some heavy load downstrokes happening on the left side that was never there before. Change the chain to a new one and it seems to disappear. Month or so later it comes back. I remove the crankset, check, clean and replace. It goes away again. The last time, after the same climb where I initially noticed the first pop/ping, the noise happens again every pedal-always on the left side. Take it to the shop. They replace grease bb. The noise stays. Take it to second shop and they notice the crack.

Now on the 8000 it was different. I was on some serious climbs(for me) two weeks ago in the Smokey Mountains and no problem. Come home and on the first ride—on my hardest daily climb, which as I said I try to sprint up, I notice the popping every down stroke accompanied by a large wobble. Looked and they’re the crack was in the same spot as on the DA. There was never any popping until it broke.

cveks

by cveks

ooo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:14 pm
It looks like in most/all cases da/ultegra fails on right crankarm. Shimano can fix this problem by using spiderless (direct mount) design

For the 1st glued mtb crankset FC-M9000 shimano used hollow bonded (glued) design on left crankarm only (right crankarm was hollow forged).
Newer FC-M9100 have both crankarms hollow bonded (glued) + direct mount chainring (no spider, left & right crankarms are almost the same).
Shimano = low quality

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Greatestalltime wrote:
XCProMD wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:04 pm

I don’t see what I did :oops:

What is it?
I apologise, I didn’t realise you’re the OP and I thought you were another poster.

As said, the teams I know get their fair bit of broken cranks as well and actually the cranks are inspected and substituted in a regular basis

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I did a new climb yesterday and I was looking at the Strava data for that climb. The guy who has the KOM did it in a phenomenal time. I checked his Strava account and saw this. I honestly think the gifted riders get what they deserve if they break bike parts :D If Shimano started to build bike parts strong enough for them the parts will be way too heavy for us WWs and mortals!!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Agreed. I bet this guy rode home with one leg and could still beat my pr, had I lived there.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Interesting wheel choice on that Speed Concept.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

JerryLook

by JerryLook

That crank made it a long time before it broke though. Dura Ace 7800.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

JerryLook wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:48 am
That crank made it a long time before it broke though. Dura Ace 7800.
I don't believe that picture is a recent picture. Also he's a sponsored rider with many bikes. I just did a Google on him and he's an accomplished rower with two Olympics gold medals, and he just happens to like riding bikes. He's a powerful dude for sure. Here you can see all his bikes on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/4065286

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Every rower I know rides road as cross-training. Seems that rowing, while just 5% arms, 15% back and 80% leg is limited by the first two in terms of training stress, so they use cycling to put additional aerobic work in while the upper body recovers. I’ve been told by a rower that XC skiing is even more demanding aerobically.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

cveks wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:00 am
ooo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:14 pm
It looks like in most/all cases da/ultegra fails on right crankarm. Shimano can fix this problem by using spiderless (direct mount) design

For the 1st glued mtb crankset FC-M9000 shimano used hollow bonded (glued) design on left crankarm only (right crankarm was hollow forged).
Newer FC-M9100 have both crankarms hollow bonded (glued) + direct mount chainring (no spider, left & right crankarms are almost the same).
Shimano = low quality

The Campagnolo do not fail?? FSA? Sram?
descarga.jpg
descarga.jpg (5.63 KiB) Viewed 186 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 186 times

kgt

by kgt

The Campagnolo picture is certainly form an accident or something. This cannot happen out of the blue.
In any case, I cannot see why some people negate the fact that Shimano cranksets crack and Campagnolo do not. This is the truth guys, accept it. That does not mean that Shimano products are of low quality because they are not. Their cranksets, though, seem to have some issues.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Your narrow minded approach to life must be terribly amusing ...

I've seen 2 failed campy cranks, one with an insert that failed and became loose and one with a spindle that had begun to crack and make a ticking noise, neither of them crash damage. But buy your own reasoning that's impossible...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie