Cracked DA 9000 and Ultegra 8000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

Don't you have anything better in life than calling my name and following my posts? Get a life, please.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I didn't actually say your name, and if you weren't such a pest it wouldn't be an issue.

I do love your childish attitude tho when someone brings a point of view in that challenges your own.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

The data in this forum is clear. Shimano cranksets have issues. Show me a similar post about Campagnolo cranksets cracking.

In general you had been calling my name many times and you just wrote 'narrow minded' and 'childish attitude' What's your problem? The last thing I want is to loose my time with you. Don't mention kgt again. Don't write anything insulting about my posts again. Is that clear?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Well if you would refrain from ranting and presenting opinions as fact then it wouldn't be an issue..

Have a lovely evening KGT, wait, I'm not meant to say KGT am I. Damn, sorry about that, KGT.

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

But obviously you are free to rant and present opinions as fact as much as you like, no?
Your reply just proves your IQ level...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You know one reason why you see so many Shimano crankarm failures vs Campagnolo, right kgt? Shimano probably ships on a scale of 100x more cranks than Campagnolo.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'm sorry, you're right. There has never been mention of a carbon campy failure on the internet nor have I ever delt with them myself... Image

Using Tapatalk

wobbly

by wobbly

kgt wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 am
The data in this forum is clear. Shimano cranksets have issues. Show me a similar post about Campagnolo cranksets cracking.

In general you had been calling my name many times and you just wrote 'narrow minded' and 'childish attitude' What's your problem? The last thing I want is to loose my time with you. Don't mention kgt again. Don't write anything insulting about my posts again. Is that clear?
I'll post a pic of mine next week. Just saw it after I dismantled all the Campag kit.
Dont know when it happened and I didn't spot it sooner as the crack line is right on a colour change in the carbon. Had no issues with any Campag kit previously.
We put our bikes under tremendous stresses and some parts are going to fail.
Hope my new Shimano groupset lasts as long.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am
You know one reason why you see so many Shimano crankarm failures vs Campagnolo, right kgt? Shimano probably ships on a scale of 100x more cranks than Campagnolo.
that is, if the market was divided equally (33% for Sram, Shimano, Campagnolo) .......................................

there is also a tendency to demonize Shimano faults ............and not so much other manufacturers

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Italian flaws have always gotten a free pass as "part of the experience"

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

lol
The results of your 'search' to find Campy crankset failures just confirm my claims.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

Greatestalltime wrote:I’ve cracked my cranks on two different bikes a week apart. They are both right at one year old. DA on a Protos and 8000 on an Advanced SL. Both 172.5. Both at the same exact place on the crank about 1.5 inch from the top, right by the print. The cracks are both on the drive side and identical in every way. Except on the 8000 a large wobble accompanied the pop every down stroke.

They also both occurred at the same place. A walking/riding bridge that crosses the Ohio River. I’m guessing 8-10% grade, but may be way off. I sprint up both sides nearly every day. Usually in 52/16 or 17. I will take some pictures, but the bike shop gave me a loaner 6700 while they work on the warranty. I purchased them both from Merlin.

The guys at the shop said they’ve never seen it. Is this common? My 6700 had around 50k miles was a 170mm and I never had any problems at all.

Thoughts/ advice. I’d there a stronger crank? Should I modify how I ride? I really like attacking this this hip the way I described.
I had a DA as well. Whichever model number came before the 9500. During a sprint session, training I ended with the chainring hanging from my right foot. The spindle has cracked at the middle due to torsion. Looked around on the web and found some people with the same problem.
Switched to SRAM.
I was about 195lbs back then when it happened. Doing drills at 30-35mph. But I had used the cranks for racing for like 3 seasons. It is mainly flat here in south FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

kgt wrote:lol
The results of your 'search' to find Campy crankset failures just confirm my claims.
Your claim that it never happens? Or that there is no mention of it online?

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

I claimed that Campagnolo cranksets cracking in half (like Shimano) almost never happen. I also claimed that Campagnolo cranksets failures rarely happen in comparison to Shimano.
These are the facts. Search as much as you like. The data is out there.

I will not discuss again with you. It's losing time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Wait, now it's almost never? Before it was never happens. See this is why people did you to be a pain, you can't hold a straight line in your arguments.
kgt wrote:I cannot see why some people negate the fact that Shimano cranksets crack and Campagnolo do not. This is the truth guys, accept it.
Add to that you discount the fact that others have seen campy cranks fail in various ways from inserts pulling out to spindes cracking.

Using Tapatalk