Possible to convert my CC to a roadbike using a Chinese carbon frame on the cheap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CommanderBrot

by CommanderBrot

Hi,
I currently am riding a cyclocross bike (Focus Mares AX 2.0 from 2012). After noticing that I'm not really the CC type, I changed it a little bit more into a road bike (mini-V brakes and Fulcrum Racing 3 Road wheel set).

Rides nicely but: I'd like a newer, more lightweight roadbike with better brakes. Looked around but the bike I prefer would set me back around 1600 EUR - out of budget, at least this year...

So I got the idea to buy a good chinese carbon frame, take the parts from my bike (FSA Gossamer compact crank set and Shimano 105 5700 I think) and build a 'new' one over the winter. Only thing missing would be brake calipers. So there are some questions:

Would this work out? I never build a bike before but I did some simple work on my bike (changing brakes, chains, chain rings, and so forth). Manageable?
Would it be significantly cheaper?
Which frame? As far as I see it it would need being a frame for caliper brakes (to keep my wheels) with the same bottom bracket standard? And on top of that I'm only 165 cm tall, so the frame should also come in small enough sizes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Most of it should work though you'll probably have to buy some extra parts. There's also the possibility that you have some issue with a chinese frame and then have to deal with sorting it out or sending the frame back to China.

Personally, I'd just ride what you have for the rest of this year and save for the new bike.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Modern frames (with few exceptions) have bb86 standard.

If I'm not mistaken focus uses bb30/pf30 so your crank might be incompatible.

It's a nice frame. If it isn't very heavy I'd probably keep it myself and put some narrower tires and V-brakes. You could also get a new fork.

CommanderBrot

by CommanderBrot

Well, I already am on 28mm Conti GP Tires and Mini-V Brakes (normal V are not compatible with the STIs). The fork is carbon. It doesn't ride bad, but I'd like better brakes and more of a Road bike feeling. I also think it's time for something new... :D

Saving up is one possibility but I'm on a very tight budget so this would take at least a year. If I could half that time and also learn something in the process that would be quite nice.

So the frame would have to be BB30 or I'd need a new crankset...

PS: On my ride yesterday I got the impression that the bearings of my bottom bracket might be worn (noises).

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Put up a pic of your crank to confirm.

CommanderBrot

by CommanderBrot

I hope that picture is good enough?
Attachments
IMG_20190705_221600.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The crank is suitable to use with bb86. It's essentially the same as shimano hollowtech. 24mm fsa spindle.

You will need an fsa/shimano bb86 bottom bracket. Your current frame looks to have a normal threaded bsa bottom bracket. Unfortunately not compatible with bb86.

Make sure the bb86 bb is installed properly and tight or you'll get creaks. Your current bb is basically immune to creaks.