Tarmac rim brake options no more

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AW84

by AW84

In case no one noticed, Specialized canned the rim brake Tarmac entirely, both the SL5 and 6.

What happens when a customer has a frame that needs warrantied down the road: do they get a whole bike, or just a disc frame and they have to eat the cost of a new groupset and wheels? I have to assume these manufacturers, the very source of this strong-arming over to discs, are probably going to provide the latter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blehargh

by blehargh

They still sell the rim brake framesets...

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Can you provide the information source? The framesets are still available on Specialized website :noidea:

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm sure specialized has set aside a stash of frames for warranties anyway.
Chasse patate

AW84

by AW84

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:50 am
Can you provide the information source? The framesets are still available on Specialized website :noidea:
But are they? All sizes and all colors of the S-Works are out of stock and the Pro shows stock running down, as well. Certainly seems like they stopped producing new frames.

Tychom

by Tychom

AW84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:06 pm
But are they? All sizes and all colors of the S-Works are out of stock and the Pro shows stock running down, as well. Certainly seems like they stopped producing new frames.
Sounds like the Canyon website pretty much every day of the year.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I have a feeling rim brakes frames simply are not selling compared to disk and since it's essentially a completely different design cost cutting wins out.
Rim brakes have be around and a long time and frames will still be available for years. Eventually just like mountain bikes. All high end bikes will disk. Just try and put a front shifter on a mountain bike and you are shit out of luck.
Ride fast Take chances

bilwit

by bilwit

AW84 wrote:
Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:50 am
one of the many Specialized dealers on here could clarify if it's EOL or not :smartass:

AW84

by AW84

Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:31 pm
I have a feeling rim brakes frames simply are not selling compared to disk and since it's essentially a completely different design cost cutting wins out.
Rim brakes have be around and a long time and frames will still be available for years. Eventually just like mountain bikes. All high end bikes will disk. Just try and put a front shifter on a mountain bike and you are shit out of luck.
I don't know that bikes are selling in great volume in general. But people want the newfangled technology, and some futureproof-ness in their investment. Plus, they buy into marketing. I can't blame them. But there are literally tens if not hundreds of millions of rim-brake bikes out there and the industry is quickly giving them all the 'eff you'.

Prime example: Specialized is now all-in on disc, and I'm certain their rim brake Roval wheels will dissapear. Now, if you crash and damage a wheel, you have to buy a whole new set elsewhere, because Specialized stopped supporting the masses who have, and for years to come, will have a rim-brake bike.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Tychom wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:12 pm
AW84 wrote:
Sounds like the Canyon website pretty much every day of the year.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/buying-too ... lters=true :shock:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Js2

by Js2

Since the day I considered a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX mechanical frameset, they were never ever in stock. By the time they had it in stock I already purchased a tarmac frameset LOL. :noidea:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Alexbn921 wrote:

The R&D and mold costs can't be reclaimed, so they aren't really losing more money by stamping out enough rim-brake frames to meet demand. It's the other part of your post...there simply is no demand whatsoever. Where are all the never-disc guys to buy these frames and keep the rim-brake dream alive?

corky

by corky

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:54 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:

The R&D and mold costs can't be reclaimed, so they aren't really losing more money by stamping out enough rim-brake frames to meet demand. It's the other part of your post...there simply is no demand whatsoever. Where are all the never-disc guys to buy these frames and keep the rim-brake dream alive?

Out riding their bikes I expect.....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

corky wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Out riding their bikes I expect.....

Sure. The main thing is they aren't buying new rim-brake bikes. "Nobody" is. The bikes that are selling have disc brakes. Trek attempted to appease a niche with the Madone SLR rim-brake complete bike, then the numbers came back...the bike wasn't selling. They put it out there...it was one of the only brand new aero bikes with rim brakes. Nobody bought it.

When nobody is buying a product, you discontinue that product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

TobinHatesYou wrote:Where are all the never-disc guys to buy these frames and keep the rim-brake dream alive?
Until they need a new bike, the “never disc” guys are probably just fine with what they have (I know I am and will continue to be). And therein lies the crux of the problem for manufacturers. They needed to create a new market that spurs sales. That is exactly what they are doing with discs. And that’s fine. They are trying so desperately hard to convince the masses they need new bikes. Discs, new frames to accommodate them, etc... is just what the Doctor of Market Revitalization ordered. It’s just not as quick to take hold in the high performance road bike market. And for good reason. So, the solution... kill it. Kill it with fire, or in a somewhat less drastic measure, just stop making them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ