New Shiv TT on Spec Site now

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

wingguy wrote:
miltmaster3 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Only disk version? If yes this is stupid
I would be amazed if you ever again see a top end TT bike release from a major manufacturer that includes a rim brake option.
Yes marketing it is the only way to throw 2500 euro wheels just to get a top frame with disk ! IT IS TT I don’t use brakes all the race are flat !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I've done plenty of time trials where I've wanted a lot more from my brakes, more reliable stopping the faster you can be. Also this bike is slick as hell. I thought the tri version was stunning, so that's where I'm coming from.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

The tri version was hideous imho. And the rear fluid system top not closing properly during the kona live footage probably got an engineer fired. Hahaha. Funny.

But this is cool. I love to see designs that go outside the box. I want to see the wind tunnel data.

AW84

by AW84

I just love bicycle marketing.

Forget all the time trial bike stigmas. Deep, skinny airfoils, massive seat tube cutouts, heavy frames, and sketchy handling—the Shiv TT makes them all relics of the past. Light, responsive, agile, and still every bit as aero as the original gold-medal-winning Shiv. This is the New Shape of Speed.

When those bikes with the deep, skinny airfoils and massive seat tube cutouts came out, they told us the wind tunnel proved they were the superior design. I guess the wind tunnel was in fact in error those days. Or....maybe they just need to sell some new bikes. :D

Stueys

by Stueys

miltmaster3 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm
wingguy wrote:
miltmaster3 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:43 pm
Only disk version? If yes this is stupid
I would be amazed if you ever again see a top end TT bike release from a major manufacturer that includes a rim brake option.
Yes marketing it is the only way to throw 2500 euro wheels just to get a top frame with disk ! IT IS TT I don’t use brakes all the race are flat !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disc isn't just about braking performance, wheel and frame shapes can be different with the wider clearances allowed.

Plus the manufacturers don't have to run two moulds/designs.... and of course they make more money as all the R&D money moves to disc so eventually we all do as well...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

AW84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:54 am

Forget all the time trial bike stigmas. Deep, skinny airfoils, massive seat tube cutouts, heavy frames, and sketchy handling—the Shiv TT makes them all relics of the past. Light, responsive, agile, and still every bit as aero as the original gold-medal-winning Shiv. This is the New Shape of Speed.

When those bikes with the deep, skinny airfoils and massive seat tube cutouts came out, they told us the wind tunnel proved they were the superior design. I guess the wind tunnel was in fact in error those days. Or....maybe they just need to sell some new bikes. :D

They may still be superior aerodynamically in useful yaw angle ranges. The claim now is that they can milk more speed out of the system if the bike is stable, the human is comfortable, etc. Hard to disprove. I imagine most time trialists paying for their own bikes will 1) choose whichever they get a team discount on or 2) choose the one that appeals to them visually.

hambini

by hambini

I'm waiting to see what BS they give for having a huge gap between the wheels and the frame parts.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Bordcla

by Bordcla

They talk about steep grades; I know this is meant to be ridden fast, but how is one supposed to climb a 10% + grade of more than a few hundred meters with a 50x28 small gear? Especially a heavier guy like me, at 180 lbs and no fat?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

It looks fairly simple and elegant (then again, so does the Cervelo P5 Disc), but it certainly is not the most adjustable bike as they like to put it. Also, to me, the lower seattube looks to be at point of breaking any moment, can't help with that feeling :D

For the price they're asking, I'd take the P5 Disc frameset, and build with the wheels of my choice - probably way cheaper than 12k EUR.

The climbing spin is a joke, especially, with that 1x (and who runs a 50T front ring on a TT machine?????). I've got an upcoming local TT, which starts (but does not finish) with a 900m 9% climb and with my pathetic power I'm thinking what to do with that hill and my 54T 1x setup, but this bike wouldn't save me from that problem anyway.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

MattB

by MattB

55T chain ring with a 11T sprocket will be the same as a 50T/10T combo. Clearly 50T/28T will climb better than 55T/28T too. What it looks like in your gear of choice along the flat is another matter though.

hambini

by hambini

AW84 wrote:

A quick google leads me to a comparison between a thin, deep aerofoil (NACA 0012) and a fatter aerofoil (NACA 0024). In every test I found, the thinner and deeper aerofoil had about 40% less drag across the board.

Now call me a cynic but I think Specialized are pulling a fast one.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

refthimos wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm
It's been a while since I've seen a TT frame with that much space between the seat tube and rear tire. I'm looking forward to hearing the explanation/data behind that.
Fenders :D

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

^ LOL

I think it had to do with the UCI rule
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

kgt

by kgt

There is no doubt that the same frame with integrated rim brakes would be more aero but obviously "the new shape of speed" (in other words marketing) is the no. 1 priority nowadays.

blehargh

by blehargh

hambini wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:50 pm
AW84 wrote:

A quick google leads me to a comparison between a thin, deep aerofoil (NACA 0012) and a fatter aerofoil (NACA 0024). In every test I found, the thinner and deeper aerofoil had about 40% less drag across the board.

Now call me a cynic but I think Specialized are pulling a fast one.
I assume they would’ve tested the deeper airfoil against the final shape. Beyond weight savings, and if you do think the deeper foil is more aero - why do you think they ended up with the final shape from an engineering perspective?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com