New Shiv TT on Spec Site now

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

I find the "engineering data" that you are quoting to be good. I also find your understanding of it to be lacking. You have to understand that it is a system, not just two independent leading edges out in the air. In laymans terms, you have a short fat section followed by a long skinny section. The long skinny section will benefit from the negative air pressure behind the short fat section. The gap also gives the very turbulent boundry layer air from the tire a place to escape before it is forced through the chainstays and messes up the leading edge below the frame. Try to have a bit more understanding of how things work as a system before you spew garbage on the internet.
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

by Weenie

TheRich

by TheRich

hambini wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:48 pm
bespoke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 pm
They don’t need to sell more Shiv TT bikes; this whole excercise will likely cost them money; they will not recoup their investment
All the money is in gravel/all-road now
This project was likely a labour of love by a very small group of aero geeks and will make 0.0005% difference to Spez annual revenue
I think the marketing men/women have done a good job on you...
Please.

These are low volume bikes, like DH MTBs, if they do not perform, they will not sell and also fail to get their name in the results.

hambini

by hambini

teufelhunden222 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 pm
I find the "engineering data" that you are quoting to be good. I also find your understanding of it to be lacking. You have to understand that it is a system, not just two independent leading edges out in the air. In laymans terms, you have a short fat section followed by a long skinny section. The long skinny section will benefit from the negative air pressure behind the short fat section. The gap also gives the very turbulent boundry layer air from the tire a place to escape before it is forced through the chainstays and messes up the leading edge below the frame. Try to have a bit more understanding of how things work as a system before you spew garbage on the internet.
Well, I didn't get to where I was/am by having a lack of understanding but I take your kind comments on board.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Aerodynamic Masterclass in bicycle wheels
I fixed the bottom bracket from hell

kgt

by kgt

It's so funny when someone advices an Aeronautical Engineer to "try to have a bit more understanding of how things work as a system".

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

kgt wrote:It's so funny when someone advices an Aeronautical Engineer to "try to have a bit more understanding of how things work as a system".
LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Specialized bike thread = Three usual people gargle each other's rehashed hatred for the brand.

I'm going back out to ride my bike. Enjoy your circle of hate.

mrfish

by mrfish

I like it, and a I’m a big fan of Specialized‘s approach.. But the price is nuts considering it is no faster than P5-6 on a typical TT course.

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

mrfish wrote: price is nuts considering it is no faster than P5-6
As I said before in this thread. It is cheaper than the cervelo p5 disc.
Specialized Allez Sprint
Instagram || Shitposting is a god-given right. bannable offense.

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

hambini wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 am
teufelhunden222 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 pm
Well, I didn't get to where I was/am by having a lack of understanding but I take your kind comments on board.
When you just compared the two different airfoil types without entering the thought that there is something behind the airfoil. Hence the "system" approach.
Is one better than the other by itself? Sure is. Tell me, why would you want to bring the air back together infront of another surface? You stated that another airfoil was superior, please enlighten me as to why given the rotating surface behind it.
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

mrfish

by mrfish

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:57 am
mrfish wrote: price is nuts considering it is no faster than P5-6
As I said before in this thread. It is cheaper than the cervelo p5 disc.
The P5-6 is not the disc version. It’s the one with hydraulic rim brakes hidden under a fairing. Mine cost 5k fully loaded a few years back. Available now barely used from triathletes worldwide for very little.

If you’ve ridden it you will know the Magura brakes are pretty amazing and give up nothing to discs, minus the rubbing and cleaning hassles. Speed wise from what i could read it’s very close and the latest bike was only ahead in favourable configurations. As for improved ride, weight etc unless you’re riding an Ironman or uphill gravel TT race (next year’s new trend) it doesn’t matter much as fit, saddle and tyres make the difference.

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

I guess that new Shiv must be pretty good with all those air gaps.......

sychen

by sychen

Saw a Tri version without the rear fairing today out on the road, Had the tri fork.
F**K that is one sexy bike... Just screams speed.

Never seen a Tt bike I want until this one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk