Cervelo Di2 cable routing question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm considering buying a cervelo R5 frameset and after reading the manual online and checking out the official images, it seems that you have to route the di2 wire through the top of the toptube. I find this solution pretty ugly aesthetically and I was wondering if there is any alternative way to route the di2 wire.

I searched around a bit and I found multiple images of pro bikes routed in a different way. Is there a trick that makes it possible to route the di2 wire in a way that it enters the frame next to the brake stop? Any special small part or people just drill out the brake stop gromet (CBS-TTC-TT-MECH)?

I'd be thankful for any tips and tricks when it comes to di2 routing.

Here are the images I was talking about and this exactly the way I'd like to route the wire:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have never heard of a Di2 port on the top of the top tube. Wouldn't water get into the frame? Di2 ports are always on the bottom of the top tube or slightly off to the side. Remember the Di2 wire has to make a U turn and go through the head tube then to the down tube. Some bikes might have the port on the downtube but I haven't paid too much attention to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gary71

by Gary71

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:44 am
I have never heard of a Di2 port on the top of the top tube. Wouldn't water get into the frame? Di2 ports are always on the bottom of the top tube or slightly off to the side. Remember the Di2 wire has to make a U turn and go through the head tube then to the down tube. Some bikes might have the port on the downtube but I haven't paid too much attention to it.
Yeah it does - that's the primary reason why I didn't go for a R5 Disc. I wouldn't be able to live with looking down and seeing the Di2 routing going into the toptube - it would have driven me nuts......., I didn't think about alternate routing options :oops:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 12.58.07 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 12.58.58 pm.png

wingguy

by wingguy

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:44 am
I have never heard of a Di2 port on the top of the top tube. Wouldn't water get into the frame? Di2 ports are always on the bottom of the top tube or slightly off to the side.
On the Cervelo R5 the Di2 port is on the top of the top tube, the wire is intended to route through the stem and out the back. It’s rare, but not unique to Cervelo.

And water always gets inside a frame - doesn’t matter where the cable ports are.

Belshazzar

by Belshazzar

I hate the Di2 "solution" on the R5. The easiest thing to do is to cut a slot in the brake housing stop for the wire to pass through.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

When the Di2 port is near the brake stop it’s the most neat solution. That’s what I have on my bike and I use shrink wrap to make a very neat look. Sooner than later most Di2 wires will be integrated within the stem/headtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saussiecycling

by Saussiecycling

I have installed di2 in all my disc bikes by running into the same port as the hydraulic line. With some heat shrink you can join the 2 lines to make it look cleaner.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Saussiecycling wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:35 am
I have installed di2 in all my disc bikes by running into the same port as the hydraulic line. With some heat shrink you can join the 2 lines to make it look cleaner.

While this works with disc hoses, it won't work with standard brakes because you need the brake cable stop. So you either have to cut or drill out the insert.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Just for someone who might run into this issue like me, finally I think I found the exact solution for this routing. Here is the link to @stevod post in a separate thread with the answer: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155256&start=30#p1459347

stevod

by stevod

^ah I was just about to post a reply!

Yes it's pretty easy and no drilling required. There is space in the existing grommet if you put the di2 cable through first, and the grommet clip is open so you don't need to thread it through as such. Although it isn't 'designed' to do this.

Try first with an empty housing before you cable up the brakes and you should be able to find the fit that allows it all to slip together without pinching the di2 cable. There'll be enough freedom to gently move the di2 cable in and out too to get the exact length left outside the frame.

And you'll probably prefer to have the the solid etap bung without holes for the top tube - cervelo dealer will be able to order it in if you don't already have it.

Looks great when heat-shrinked (heat-shrunk?) to the brake housing, although this takes a bit more fiddling during the build of course.

I'll try and post some pics...

stevod

by stevod

Pics attached - apologies bike not clean!
Attachments
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7178.JPG
IMG_7179.JPG

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Can't see the issue with the TT port at all. Never caused me any problems for 3 years...

SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Putini

by Putini

stevod wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am
^ah I was just about to post a reply!

Yes it's pretty easy and no drilling required. There is space in the existing grommet if you put the di2 cable through first, and the grommet clip is open so you don't need to thread it through as such. Although it isn't 'designed' to do this.

Try first with an empty housing before you cable up the brakes and you should be able to find the fit that allows it all to slip together without pinching the di2 cable. There'll be enough freedom to gently move the di2 cable in and out too to get the exact length left outside the frame.

And you'll probably prefer to have the the solid etap bung without holes for the top tube - cervelo dealer will be able to order it in if you don't already have it.

Looks great when heat-shrinked (heat-shrunk?) to the brake housing, although this takes a bit more fiddling during the build of course.

I'll try and post some pics...
Do you loop the di2 cable internally to run to the head tube and then down the downtube? Or do you run the cable along the inside of the top tube and then down the seat tube?

we51

by we51

I have a 2015 S3 rather than R, but I am routing the Di2 cable into the top tube in the same way, then forward to the head tube and down the down tube. The top tube is not actually open to the seat tube, and would be blocked by the seat post even if it was.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Putini

by Putini

we51 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:24 pm
I have a 2015 S3 rather than R, but I am routing the Di2 cable into the top tube in the same way, then forward to the head tube and down the down tube. The top tube is not actually open to the seat tube, and would be blocked by the seat post even if it was.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Fantastic, thanks!