New Cannondale SuperSix Evo frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

S6ED

by S6ED

Although not really enthusiastic about the new SuperSix Evo, I just saw a cryptic picture (see attached photo) of a rather light built, so I'm kind of thinking about building one myself.

Is there any info on the weight of the new frameset (Hi-Mod Disc) in various sizes?

Any information on said frameset's release date and pricing?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 22.53.03.png

Ritxis

by Ritxis

S6ED wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:14 pm
Although not really enthusiastic about the new SuperSix Evo, I just saw a cryptic picture (see attached photo) of a rather light built, so I'm kind of thinking about building one myself.

Is there any info on the weight of the new frameset (Hi-Mod Disc) in various sizes?

Any information on said frameset's release date and pricing?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156359&start=600

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Claimed weights for both HM and non-HM disc frames and forks:
Attachments
thumb_134031_w1240h491.jpg

S6ED

by S6ED

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:57 pm
Claimed weights for both HM and non-HM disc frames and forks:
Thanks! Any idea how this relates to the Gen2 Hi-Mod framesets? Lighter, heavier, same?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

S6ED wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:00 pm
Thanks! Any idea how this relates to the Gen2 Hi-Mod framesets? Lighter, heavier, same?
I saw one weighted somewhere here, 56 with hanger, cage bolts but no seatpost collar, no BB, no headset, no cable guides at 875gr, 390gr fork. So, a tad lighter but quite close, I'd call it pretty even which I think is good given how much more aero it is.

Color might make a big difference, black are always lighter, white are usually the heaviest as they need much thicker paint to make sure the white looks nice and pure, not off-white or greyish, bright and pale colors are heavy too. I think I saw the EF replica would be one available frameset, mostly black so shouldn't be too overweight, no idea if other colors will be available or which color the claimed weight is.

S6ED

by S6ED

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 pm
S6ED wrote:
I saw one weighted somewhere here, 56 with hanger, cage bolts but no seatpost collar, no BB, no headset, no cable guides at 875gr, 390gr fork. So, a tad lighter but quite close, I'd call it pretty even which I think is good given how much more aero it is.

Color might make a big difference, black are always lighter, white are usually the heaviest as they need much thicker paint to make sure the white looks nice and pure, not off-white or greyish, bright and pale colors are heavy too. I think I saw the EF replica would be one available frameset, mostly black so shouldn't be too overweight, no idea if other colors will be available or which color the claimed weight is.
Thanks again for the pleasant surprise: the new frameset is then, in fact, lighter!

Gen3: 866+389=1255
Gen2: 875+390= 1265
If we also factor in that Gen3 frameset weight inludes "small parts", which should also mean seatpost clamp and, also, if we factor in that the new seatpost is claimed to be lighter, then the Gen3 frameset is definitely lighter than the previous one.

DOUG

by DOUG

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:24 pm
S6ED wrote:

Hey thats my frame! :D For reference the HiMod fork was 350g once I slammed the stem and cut it to length.

I'll wait until some proper reviews come in but I would seriously consider buying a frameset and building it up using most of the components from my existing build. If it is indeed a little bit lighter and that much more aero than the EVO2 then it would be a worthwhile excersize. Not sure I would go with the integrated cockpit though, the cable routing looks like it might be pretty good without having to take the weight penalty of the Knot stem and bar. Again cant really be certain until seeing one in the wild but an Extralite stem with a set of aero bars would be a reasonable trade off I think.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

DOUG wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:06 am
Hey thats my frame! :D For reference the HiMod fork was 350g once I slammed the stem and cut it to length.

I'll wait until some proper reviews come in but I would seriously consider buying a frameset and building it up using most of the components from my existing build. If it is indeed a little bit lighter and that much more aero than the EVO2 then it would be a worthwhile excersize. Not sure I would go with the integrated cockpit though, the cable routing looks like it might be pretty good without having to take the weight penalty of the Knot stem and bar. Again cant really be certain until seeing one in the wild but an Extralite stem with a set of aero bars would be a reasonable trade off I think.
Yeah I agree, especially if you slam your stem, running the cables along the underside of a normal stem still keeps them mostly out of the wind and looking tidy.

Gary71

by Gary71

I have just bought a SS HM Disc Gen2 in a 54 and it weighted in a 840 with hanger (no seat clamp)...., so I think the frame is around about the same. My fork was a disappointing 404 uncut. It looks like the weight saving (if any) is in the post (mine 191 uncut) and maybe a little in the fork :noidea:

So I would think you should be want to be building the Gen3 based on aero gains and or for ascetic reasons.
Attachments
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

mrlobber

by mrlobber

On Gen2, you can go all in on sub 100g seatpost (Darimo) as well as choose cockpit of your preference, including very light ones, so probably you could build the old lighter than the new one.

However, if you care about aero and other supposed, but probably unfeelable benefits Cannondale is quoting, the new is the way to go.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Cemicar

by Cemicar

It came off as being impressive, but in other words Evo2 Disc might have been already a tad heavy. The claimed weight was 360/829 in 56, adding 132 grams to the rim brake frameset (280/777). Those thin fork and seatstay would cause lots of flex without reinforcing layers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com