The future of performance road bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:02 am

True that & Kelly was probably the last top pro to switch to clipless.
I remember thinking ok then I guess there might be something to it & changed out my Superleggeri pedals

I guess about the pro electronic shifters claiming hand fatigue....Well if so then I'm glad they have some relief but at the same time I cannot help but think of
what a pal of mine who owns a gym said....

He told me how these lady members come into his gym
They complain like heck that there was no parking near his gym & how they had to walk a block to get there.

Then they get on a treadmill & walk for 45 minutes.....He laughs because it is so ironic :D

EDIT: ***Disclaimer***
All kidding aside I am most happy that anyone & everyone enjoys cycling in which ever form they choose :thumbup:
One thing we can all agree on is the beauty of cycling

Ride longer and harder...till certain parts of your body fail/shut down.

Anyway I find it curious that people would deny themselves electronic shifting when everything else in their lives has been enabled by or is directly powered by electricity. It works...it works great.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 am

for real?

that's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever read on WW. I mean like THE stupidest thing.

btw your whole act, starting from your username and ending with your absolutely unconditional praìse of every bit of $hit manufacturers are pushing these days that you stick everywhere you can, your "arguments" that scream "I just it made up", it all feels more than odd - like not coming from a real or entirely sane person. this board has seen many users who'd burn through their rather short tenure with thousands of posts, even making some kind of name for themselves, but sooner rather than later ending up banned, or just "losing interest" because they turned from a hero to an annoying zero in like no time. you're on that very course dude.

For real! Finger muscles, hand muscles aren't very developed...even in piano players. You want to see developed finger muscles? Look at Alex Honnold's mickey mouse glove fingers. You think I post here to be a hero? I'm just here as a foil for charlatans like Calnago and Lewn777.

Also wait, are my arguments from Google or are they made up? Which is it? Those kinda verge on exluding each other. Maybe I'm Googling other people's made up arguments!

For real I like 30mm tires for certain road applications. For real, man.

I like to try new things. The ones I like, I stick with. The ones I find problems with, I don't. For example, the shitty IRC Formula Pro tubeless tires bmp7000f keeps praising. For example, GP5K TL tires and all the little problems I encountered before anyone else (fraying strings, sidewall failures, lack of grip, etc.) There are products I love/hate like eTap. I love the design direction. I don't love the continued FD woes or battery tab issues. I like tubeless tires...the only major issue is the initial learning curve, and dealing with people who don't do research only to complain about their tires not sealing with Stan's sealant. I like disc brakes...I actually ride my bike reasonably hard and in tough conditions, sort of. I like electronic shifting. I don't like CamelBak Podium 2.0 or 3.0 bottles. Hmm, what else?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

tymon_tm wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:46 pm
I used to get hand fatigue on 100mi/10000ft elevation rides with mechanical shifting.
for real?

that's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever read on WW. I mean like THE stupidest thing.

btw your whole act, starting from your username and ending with your absolutely unconditional praìse of every bit of $hit manufacturers are pushing these days that you stick everywhere you can, your "arguments" that scream "I just it made up", it all feels more than odd - like not coming from a real or entirely sane person. this board has seen many users who'd burn through their rather short tenure with thousands of posts, even making some kind of name for themselves, but sooner rather than later ending up banned, or just "losing interest" because they turned from a hero to an annoying zero in like no time. you're on that very course dude.
While I concur that he is annoying a great deal of the time, and I have my doubts about some statements/claims. He is a real person....I just rode with him on June 16th.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

flying

by flying

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:27 am

Anyway I find it curious that people would deny themselves electronic shifting when everything else in their lives has been enabled by or is directly powered by electricity. It works...it works great.
Trust me with over 30 years riding I have been there & done that longer/harder more than a good few times :wink:

As to your 2nd line about denying myself electronic shifting?
I'm sorry I just don't see it that way at all because as I said shifting is utterly simple
& I am exercising yes? If I wanted to ride a couch I would stay home :wink:

If instead I zero in on what you said....
I used to get hand fatigue on 100mi/10000ft elevation rides with mechanical shifting. Electronic shifting takes away that hand fatigue and allows me to ride farther/longer.
Then I guess it is good your legs never get fatigued eh? Otherwise you may need one of those electric pinarellos :wink:

But again.......main thing your happy but what makes your cycling happy may not be for everyone

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:15 am

Then I guess it is good your legs never get fatigued eh? Otherwise you may need one of those electric pinarellos :wink:

But again.......main thing your happy but what makes your cycling happy may not be for everyone

On long rides where hand/finger fatigue would be an issue, I ride in low enough power training zones that outright leg muscle fatigue isn't more likely than during shorter rides in harder zones...hell, it's less likely. But yes, other muscles do fatigue, the heart included...they just don't directly affect my braking, shifting, and control to some extent.

TheRich

by TheRich

tymon_tm wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
I used to get hand fatigue on 100mi/10000ft elevation rides with mechanical shifting.
for real?

I like how you skipped (intentionally deleted) the first sentence in his post and dove straight for the ad hominem.

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:25 am
On long rides where hand/finger fatigue would be an issue, I ride in low enough power training zones that outright leg muscle fatigue isn't more likely than during shorter rides in harder zones...hell, it's less likely. But yes, other muscles do fatigue, the heart included...they just don't directly affect my braking, shifting, and control to some extent.
Not necessarily fatigue exactly, but the gross motion required to go up to the big ring on the front can discourage frequent usage. When you make something easier, people will do it more often.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:31 am

Not necessarily fatigue exactly, but the gross motion required to go up to the big ring on the front can discourage frequent usage. When you make something easier, people will do it more often.

Sounds like it's time to figure out roughly how many kilojoules are required for that gross motion.

Seedster

by Seedster

I love my rim brake Protos because of the weight and peace of mind in case I need service or mechanical help, but I dont regret buying a Colnago with disc brakes. Aside from the initial setup, the C64's braking has been quiet, easy to modulate and works well in the rain with carbon wheels (I have been caught in three torrential downpours and put the brakes through its paces).

There's no denying the manufacturers contribution to forced obselescence when they eliminate a rim brake alternative on new bikes. That said, I see rim brake bikes sit on the floor while their disc alternatives move quickly - Dogma F10, Teammachine and R5, for example. I frequent three of the more popular bike shops in NYC - spend a lot of time at one in particular on the weekends - and my anecdotal experience suggests the claim that first time and high end buyers are not asking for disc brake road bikes is absolutely wrong. I witness customers requesting disc and electronic at a discounted price. In fact, I rarely hear any discussion of frame material anymore. Instead, the buyer explains that his/her cyclist friend told them to get disc bike with electronic shifting. Now there are exceptions when budget limits what they can get, but I just do not see the demand for rim brakes that I expected.

I understand our opinions on disc brakes are influenced by personal experience, but there is really no need to fight one another on the internet. Disc is here and can co-exist with rim brakes for many years to come.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Seedster wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:40 am

I understand our opinions on disc brakes are influenced by personal experience, but there is really no need to fight one another on the internet. Disc is here and can co-exist with rim brakes for many years to come.

In the other recent inevitably rim/disc thread I mashed out what I thought might be possible timeline.

The winding down of rim-brake technology by groupset makers probably won't even begin for a decade. Even after that, cable-actuated brake levers will still be an option. The brake calipers themselves will likely not see notable updates...graphics only, or fixes to major issues. This may already be the case with the current SRAM product line. The single-pivot brakes haven't been updated in 5 years. Maybe in 15 years SRAM will axe cable-actuated brake levers in their performance groups. Then Shimano after that. I don't see Campagnolo going that route for decades. They're small enough not to care about volume, revenues, trends in the same manner as SRAM or Shimano.

So why all the fear, uncertainty and doubt from the other side of the room?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

The top pros still use rimbrakes so I don’t see it going away soon.

scapie

by scapie

tymon_tm wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
for real?

lol, thats up there with this classic
scapie wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:02 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:51 am
“What I do” is now being adopted by fitters and pros...sitting in a more forward position while angling the saddle down...
lol

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

scapie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:09 am

lol, thats up there with this classic

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/tour-te ... crankarms/

All we're doing is rotating our body position a few degrees forward around the bottom bracket. Try it sometime, you might like it.

It's like they're just now figuring out aero trumps raw power in most cases...the SlowTwitch scene has been years ahead of the pure roadie curve for quite some time.

scapie

by scapie

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:48 am
IMO your saddle should be tilted as far down as possible without your ass sliding forward and without your arms/hands getting tired.
grab a towel, you're dribbling

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Etienne

by Etienne

TobinHatesYou wrote:
My advice would be not to enter such a competition, you may find people that went through physical and psychological challenges you may not imagine and eventually bear ... remain humble, please.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
People don't deny themselves electronic shifting ... they just decide to keep things simple from their own point of view that seems to differ from yours, is that a reason to say everything you don't agree with is shitty, dumb or whatever ?

I don't know you nor know how you are in everyday life, but you seem to have much to learn about discussion and accepting differences of perspective.