The future of performance road bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

scapie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:45 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:48 am
IMO your saddle should be tilted as far down as possible without your ass sliding forward and without your arms/hands getting tired.
grab a towel, you're dribbling

And I stand by that statement as long as the rider has the hip flexibility and lower back strength. Rotate that vestigial nose down and out of the way, or ride an ISM, Dash, Cobb, Selle SMP or similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Etienne wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:57 am

People don't deny themselves electronic shifting ... they just decide to keep things simple from their own point of view that seems to differ from yours, is that a reason to say everything you don't agree with is shitty, dumb or whatever ?

I don't know you nor know how you are in everyday life, but you seem to have much to learn about discussion and accepting differences of perspective.

My perspective is that electronic shifting was brought into the discussion for no reason other than to deride it as being overly complex. I have no issue with choice. If people want to ride with mechanical groups and rim brakes, that’s fine, but a certain few always want to come in here and shit on those technologies, road tubeless, wider tires, aero at the expense of weight, etc.

Etienne

by Etienne

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:04 am
My perspective is that electronic shifting was brought into the discussion for no reason other than to deride it as being overly complex. I have no issue with choice. If people want to ride with mechanical groups and rim brakes, that’s fine, but a certain few always want to come in here and shit on those technologies, road tubeless, wider tires, aero at the expense of weight, etc.
OK, but I have the impression that you are in a defensive position, as if you were involved in the success of disc brakes and electronic shifting :noidea:

By the way, let's talk about the so-called "stupid" rim vs disc brake chart ... not my words, but yours !! ... that is in contradiction with a willingness to discuss and admit other's choice, isn't it ?

I personaly have rim and disc brakes bikes ... and if I have to admit that in some conditions, disc brakes are more effective even on the road, in good conditions on my road bike, I definitely prefer the bite of my rim brakes :idea: ... so this chart makes sens for me.

However, I agree with the arguments around "having all my bikes with the same brake system" etc ... and that it's not a big deal for the non-advanced riders who want a bike and have the maintenance made at the LBS.

mag

by mag

I wish there would be at least one thread without the Tobin chiming in with his "latest & greatest" mantra - even though he claims to not be about that latest & greatest stuff.

Ride your super modern bikes taken straight from the future that only you seem to be able see, but let others to explore another ways, regardless of whether you consider them to be dead ends, paths leading straight to the doom of the whole world or whatever. Feel the peace in your heart and let the world around you suffer. I can take that.

Yeah, and dear Tobin, regarding those shitty IRC tyres you mentioned earlier in this thread - it's more about your shitty hands (which you already confirmed to have anyway) and rims. No problem with these tyres.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

At least three people on these forums have had bead/sidewall separation with their IRC Formula Pro tubeless tires, the last person’s being a complete blowout. You can keep riding those tires if you want. I said they were probably defective by design 2 years ago...I still think that’s true.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Can anyone explain why tubeless tyres are faster? I have seen the charts but don’t understand the principles of what makes them faster, is it shape, rubber compound, or what? Is the testing done with sealant installed or dry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:37 pm
Can anyone explain why tubeless tyres are faster? I have seen the charts but don’t understand the principles of what makes them faster, is it shape, rubber compound, or what? Is the testing done with sealant installed or dry?

There is less internal friction because the air bladder is integrated into the tire construction. Bicycle Rolling Resistance tests with sealant.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

My MTB has tubeless setup which I can see the advange of running lower psi for better traction. Plus the relative lower psi setup means much smaller risk of failure on tire or setup itself. After all 25-40psi isn't going to do too much damage. However I see hassle outweights performance for road bike and that's why I'm still running regular Corsa G with continental inner tube.

themidge

by themidge

Now we've all had the usual tizz about disc brakes, where does everyone think the rest of the bike is headed in the future? My predictions are:
#1 all lightweight bikes will be slightly aero and have dropped seat stays
because of this, they'll all be between 800 and 900g and nobody will care except WW

#2 own brand integration will become more and more common, but also (hopefully) lighter and less hassle to work with

#3 tubeless tyres are stock on everything but most people will use tubes anyway

I couldn't care less personally (I'll be on my already 10yo supersix forever or until I get something custom) but it's still interesting and important for getting things like spare parts and especially re: #2 individual components.

flying

by flying

themidge wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:16 pm
Now we've all had the usual tizz about disc brakes, where does everyone think the rest of the bike is headed in the future? My predictions are:

I know many will laugh but :wink: ....My prediction is Steel frames made by hand in the 1300gr range

As more riders start to notice not what sponsored pros are forced to ride but what they ride by choice on their own dime
This will make many at least wonder & perhaps try the newer forms of steel.
They will then reevaluate total experience meaning.. times for known rides/routes...comfort..longevity..value...craftsmanship

Not what some magazine said about this brand X frame is 0.0001% faster over 40k when ridden at steady pace of 30kph than brand Z :lol:

spartacus

by spartacus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:00 am
scapie wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:45 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:48 am
IMO your saddle should be tilted as far down as possible without your ass sliding forward and without your arms/hands getting tired.
grab a towel, you're dribbling

And I stand by that statement as long as the rider has the hip flexibility and lower back strength. Rotate that vestigial nose down and out of the way, or ride an ISM, Dash, Cobb, Selle SMP or similar.
Says the guy with hand pain? Just... no... Put the saddle level and enjoy comfortable balance. If this means you can't reach your drops well that's another issue.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

flying wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:52 pm

I know many will laugh but :wink: ....My prediction is Steel frames made by hand in the 1300gr range

As more riders start to notice not what sponsored pros are forced to ride but what they ride by choice on their own dime
They will then reevaluate total experience meaning.. times for known rides/routes...comfort..longevity..value...craftsmanship

Not what some magazine said about this brand X frame is 0.0001% faster over 40k when ridden at steady pace of 30kph than brand Z :lol:
I think this is already happening, and "custom" or "hand-made" bikes are more popular than ever (or at least than in the last few decades). It does make sense, though, because with frame prices now at 5.000€/$ for the top of the line models, why not spend the same or less in something custom instead?

Gunnar

by Gunnar

It may have already been brought up but I could see carbon ceramic disc brakes becoming a thing on high end road bikes. It would allow for smaller rotors and would weigh less along with having better aesthetics.

Also with 3d printing improving and becoming more affordable, I could see it allowing for cheaper and more widely available custom frames from big name companies.

Nomex honeycomb core carbon frames could also be a breakthrough in terms of weight reduction, compliance, and stiffness. I saw an article a couple years ago that showed a bike company messing around with it but haven't seen anything since surprisingly.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

blaugrana wrote:
flying wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:52 pm

I think this is already happening, and "custom" or "hand-made" bikes are more popular than ever (or at least than in the last few decades). It does make sense, though, because with frame prices now at 5.000€/$ for the top of the line models, why not spend the same or less in something custom instead?
I agree 100%, in fact I have ordered up a steel bike from a custom builder, mechanical only with rim brakes. The only downside to custom is the wait ( NOT weight) lol. The cost of a custom bike is not significantly different than a high end off the shelf bike, so why not? As long as I can get cables and brake pads for 30 years I am set, that will get me through until I am 80 so maybe be at that point I’ll upgrade to something else..... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:31 am
It may have already been brought up but I could see carbon ceramic disc brakes becoming a thing on high end road bikes. It would allow for smaller rotors and would weigh less along with having better aesthetics.
I doubt. A lot of companies experimenting on different materials for rotors without success. Mtb are on discs for more than a decade now and still on the reliable steel rotors

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com